When does it stop hurting?

Options
I'm a teacher, so I have "lightly active" as my default setting. I also have a summer job that involves a significant amount of walking. Still, there's a part of me that feels like the increase isn't all THAT much - I made sure to get 10k steps in daily during the school year. On the days I work, I get in an average of 18k. I let my step count go lower on my off days (usually 8-9k) but I've started a strength program at a nearby gym.

And my legs and feet ache all the time. It's discomfort, not pain - I can tell that I'm not injured. But it's nearly constant (though it's worse in the mornings) and it hasn't improved after a month on the job. I stretch. I take Epsom salt baths. And spinach is my go-to veggie, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting all the potassium I need and then some.

But I'm getting frustrated with it. Does it actually GET any better? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? Or do people who are more regularly active just accept this and I need to just suck it up?

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Are you standing & walking on concrete mostly? I have a house with a concrete slab floor and my feet hurt a lot if I wear unsupportive shoes. Are you wearing shoes with good support?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    When I had a job that had me walking/on my feet and my shoes were more than four or five months old, my feet and legs would hurt.

Try new shoes every four months.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Are you standing & walking on concrete mostly? I have a house with a concrete slab floor and my feet hurt a lot if I wear unsupportive shoes. Are you wearing shoes with good support?

Well, not concrete. It's mostly asphalt.

... I suppose that doesn't really help matters, then? ;) I do have insoles to help - my feet overpronate. Any suggestions for good walking shoes?

@ninerbuff, do you have recommendations for improving leg strength?

Thanks everybody! :D
  • gunner19er
    gunner19er Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shoes really depend on your type of arch. If you know your arch type you can google the best running shoe. I have a flat arch and Nike has a flex that gives great support also you can look in to taping your foot for adding support.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gunner19er wrote: »
    Shoes really depend on your type of arch. If you know your arch type you can google the best running shoe. I have a flat arch and Nike has a flex that gives great support also you can look in to taping your foot for adding support.

you don't want running shoes for walking...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said. Add planks, squats, lunges and gel inserts.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Ask a trainer there to give you a review of your current workout and see whether you need to do something different (maybe lower weight until you build up strength and stamina). My gym allowed me to have this type of assessment at no additional charge. You might get some good suggestions on how many reps to do. And I'd only do these leg workouts every other day to give the muscles a chance to repair.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Good Feet store near you? Maybe they can help.
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main cardio.

The PT I went to for sciatica wanted me squeezing my stomach the whole time I was walking as a core exercise to support my back. At first it was hard to remember, but now I just do it all the time
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. My feet used to burn after long walks and being on my feet for hours. Your footwear is essential and will give you relief, but don't stop there. I do light yoga, planking, gym routines to strenghten my legs, and rarely have this problem now.
  • HelensBeads
    HelensBeads Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Why? I know we're not meant to walk in our running shoes (different gait, compresses them differently etc) if we're still using them for running but my running shoes get 'retired' to walking shoes, which are then retired to pottering-in-the-garden shoes then when they're totally on their last legs they'll head for the recycling bin (usually on their own by then).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm a first year teacher and am experiencing sore feet for the first time. I figured it would go away in a day, then two, nope. My feet hurt! ha.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Why? I know we're not meant to walk in our running shoes (different gait, compresses them differently etc) if we're still using them for running but my running shoes get 'retired' to walking shoes, which are then retired to pottering-in-the-garden shoes then when they're totally on their last legs they'll head for the recycling bin (usually on their own by then).

I'm curious about this myself.
  • SaritaJack
    SaritaJack Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy, and maybe this only applies to me, but are you getting enough protein? When I started running I was in constant discomfort, and was getting plenty of potassium, staying hydrated, being very good, lol.
    One day my grandma took me out for a steak dinner, and it was so good that I had the leftovers for breakfast. That day I felt so awesome running and living in general, with just a normal amount of soreness. I started paying attention to how much protein I was eating, and discovered that it wasn't nearly enough. Now I drink some protein after most of my workouts (I don't enjoy running, so I don't do much of that anymore), because I'm still bad at getting enough into my normal diet. It's made a huge difference!
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Well they're not for running nor walking specifically, but I have Sciatica frtom a back injury and plantar fasciitis flare ups. Walking and standing bother me the most out of any exercise until I found Reebok Crossfit TR. They supposed to be hybrid trainers that you can run in *to some degree*...but all I know is that I no longer need inserts and my back, legs, and feet feel a million times better during workouts as well as walking. And I get compliments on my choice of the chartreuse color. Even better, they're only about $89.00 either through Reebok or Amazon.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As a chef, I have had some of the same kind of foot and lower leg issues. This would happen even wearing good shoes and often working on anti-fatigue mats. I have found that magnesium helps a lot. Epson salt soaks in the evening before bed and rubbing magnesium oil on my feet went a long way to relieve the ache.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes sore feet are just sore feet - the term "tenderfoot" comes to mind.

But if you are wearing really supportive shoes that are relatively new, are in good walking shape, and your feet still hurt... I'd see a podiatrist or PT person. Really these people are a wealth of information, and KNOW stuff.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher, so I have "lightly active" as my default setting. I also have a summer job that involves a significant amount of walking. Still, there's a part of me that feels like the increase isn't all THAT much - I made sure to get 10k steps in daily during the school year. On the days I work, I get in an average of 18k. I let my step count go lower on my off days (usually 8-9k) but I've started a strength program at a nearby gym.

And my legs and feet ache all the time. It's discomfort, not pain - I can tell that I'm not injured. But it's nearly constant (though it's worse in the mornings) and it hasn't improved after a month on the job. I stretch. I take Epsom salt baths. And spinach is my go-to veggie, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting all the potassium I need and then some.

But I'm getting frustrated with it. Does it actually GET any better? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? Or do people who are more regularly active just accept this and I need to just suck it up?

Everything everyone else said. And also:

From 10k to 18k is almost double your step count. I average about 10k steps a day myself, but a few days recently I got over 20k and let me tell you I could've died.

The thing I remember from having more active jobs in the past vs my current job where I only get like 10k steps (and that's with me really trying to) is that eventually you adjust to it.