I eat the same food every week! (and like it)

Options
I have found myself in a pretty firm food choice pattern, with very few exceptions. Limiting my choices seems to help me stick to calories and I am losing nicely. I used to try to get maximum variety but the result was feeling stimulated to eat more by too much choice. I wondered if others feel too much choice helps or hinders them?

I eat one of two breakfast options: option A - mini English breakfast (bacon, egg, sausage). Option B - Egg McMuffin and oats. Coffee without sugar with both.

Most days I skip lunch. On 4 days a week (as I am doing IF) I have satisfying portions of Pizza (Tuesday), Crispy Duck, sweet pork & dumplings (Thursday), Curry with the trimmings and caramel popcorn for dessert (Saturday) and Buffalo Wings (Sunday).
(I describe the above to show what I mean by eating the same food and not for critique on the food choices- my macros are just fine, thanks)

When I have a less predictable week, it leads to going over and I am never bored when I follow this basic formula which includes all my favorite foods.

Replies

• nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Me too. If it weren't for my husband, I'd eat the same thing every day and love it. I'm a creature of habit, that's for sure.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. Dinner varies. It works for me.

Same with me- my breakfast and lunches rarely change and if they do, it is minor tweaks. Dinner is where I get my variation.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "Too much" means "too much". Enough is also enough. If you don't get bored, you get enough variety. It's about perception, I guess. For me, a wide variety of great tasting, home cooked (by me, lol) food, is not something I get an urge to overeat. But it may look like very little variety to others - it's basically a weekly themed rotation of 10-15 meals with variations, made primarily from simple whole food ingredients, balanced, moderate portions, and not elaborate. I also need predicability, and I get that by planning my meals.

Socalled hyperpalatable foods (I'm getting more and more inclined to calling them hyperengineered foods, because the taste isn't that amazing, it's the anticipation), is difficult for me to moderate. So I take care to not bring home anything that's more stress than fun. But I can feel overwhelmed by choice even in the produce section. Limiting choices is important. Decision fatigue is a real thing. A good shopping list (as an integrated part of my meal plan) helps a lot. But I still have to be a little strict sometimes, and it can be hard to leave something behind, that I know I can't incorporate in my meal plan. It always feels better, when I get home with just what I wanted and not the whole shop.
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating the same thing everyday.. but I love welcoming changes often as well. Open mindness...i call it. :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get there myself. I'm lazy and it's easier to log.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I have eaten a hot dog salad almost every night for like 4 weeks straight. If it works it works.

I tried this the other night and I thought of you. That ish was good af.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've followed the same eating routine the past 5+ years. Of course some days I am flexible, I love the structure.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I have eaten a hot dog salad almost every night for like 4 weeks straight. If it works it works.

I tried this the other night and I thought of you. That ish was good af.

YES FINALLY!!! I've been pushing so hard lmao.

You made my day.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    May I ask what hot dog salad is? I am not familiar with that...
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

For mine, I put cut up hotdogs, mustard, ketchup and caramelized onions over a huge bed of spinach and mixed greens. The volume is filling af and low calories... yummy macros.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So do I and I prefer it. I eat the same for breakfast, almost the same thing for lunch, but dinner varies. It's easier and saves me time.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ditto - I found that I'm ok with eating variations on the same thing (different amounts depending on macros) day in and day out - I don't need huge variety. Previously when I tried to diet or go with a certain eating style - I got sucked into complex recipes that I really didn't need
  • Penthesilea514
    Options

For mine, I put cut up hotdogs, mustard, ketchup and caramelized onions over a huge bed of spinach and mixed greens. The volume is filling af and low calories... yummy macros.

That sounds pretty good, actually (minus ketchup for me). I was not thinking salad as in greens but salad as in like pasta salad or egg salad and I was not sure that sounded very good lol. That makes more sense.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing every day for breakfast right now (cheese, strawberries, protein bar, coffee with cream or milk). Sometimes on the weekend I live dangerously and get Tim Hortons oatmeal, hashbrown & coffee for breakfast. Although maybe not this weekend since the local Timmys tried to burn down earlier this week and is closed for repairs.

Lunch on weekdays is always cheese, bell pepper, cucumber, protein and some kind of salad (today it was hard boiled eggs and a Costco southwest salad that I can't find the calories for anywhere).

Dinner varies in that we don't eat the same thing every Tuesday, but most of our meals are one of about 15 regular things.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts, lunches, and snacks don't have a ton of variety during the week, though sometimes I switch it up on weekends (or skip them). I "have" to have variety for dinner though- otherwise I get bored and end up either eating out or getting take-out/delivery. If I plan to do that (eat out, etc.), I can do okay but if I intend to make dinner but decide not to at the last minute because I can't stand the thought of chicken yet again, I don't make great choices and end up over-eating. Part of the problem is I don't like leftovers (which is something I'm trying to not be so weird about because cooking every day is a PITA).
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day, and rotate through a handful of snacks and dinners most weekdays, depending on what macros I need. I don't like cooking and having to play macro Tetris causes me a lot of stress, so having some standard meals helps reduce my food-related anxiety a lot.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing pretty much every day it's my night snack I usually switch up