Chili chat - not a nutrition post!

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    You know that the spice of your chili is just about right when you give birth to a Marine the next morning.

when it sounds like a barrel of fish being dumped out on the sidewalk

and the fire department is standing by in hazmat gear
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Green Chile Sauce...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsdF6nHn-RrwFKPnvI3MfPupw17cFqvvyIcXY14KMwnBF5D0BJ

Red Chile Sauce...

Red-Chile-Sauce.jpg

Green is typically a bit sweeter because you use fresh, roasted green chiles. Red chile is earthier and uses dried chiles.

If I lived in NM, I would weigh 500 pounds.

guadalupe04.jpg

When I die, I want my ashes sprinkled around the Guadalupe Cafe in Santa Fe
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not Skyline chili... I'm good with any combo of chili and bread. :)

Cinnamon rolls, though? Maybe for dessert.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    As long as it's not Skyline chili...

you're dead to me; dead.

... on second thought, that's okay; now there's more Skyline Chili for me!

• FeraFilia
    Options

you're dead to me; dead.

I posted that just for you, doll. :*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Green Chile Sauce...

Red Chile Sauce...

Red-Chile-Sauce.jpg

Green is typically a bit sweeter because you use fresh, roasted green chiles. Red chile is earthier and uses dried chiles.

guadalupe04.jpg

Yeah, I pretty much have to limit going out for NM food to about once per month...preferably after a long ride or big hike. It's definitely one of the reasons I put on weight.

Side note...for whatever reason, Guadalupe Cafe is now only open for brunch on Saturday and Sunday...which is a bummer because I'm up in Santa Fe for work frequently and always enjoyed having lunch there.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

you're dead to me; dead.

I thought maybe so. Thing is, I can't remember a time in my life without it.

I college, there was a Skyline just 24 cartwheels away from our house.

Moving away, I went years without it. Now we can buy it at the grocery store here in Arizona.

It's super unhealthy but that's okay; if it takes a couple of years off of my life on the backside, it will be well worth it.
  • MrsW1915
    MrsW1915 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like a dollop of sour cream under my chili, beans in the chili, a little cheese on top and Fritos to scoop up the chili. I'm interested in this cinnamon roll thing though. Never heard of it.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Green Chile Sauce...

Red Chile Sauce...

Red-Chile-Sauce.jpg

guadalupe04.jpg

Yeah, I pretty much have to limit going out for NM food to about once per month...preferably after a long ride or big hike. It's definitely one of the reasons I put on weight.

Side note...for whatever reason, Guadalupe Cafe is now only open for brunch on Saturday and Sunday...which is a bummer because I'm up in Santa Fe for work frequently and always enjoyed having lunch there.

The last time I was there was a Monday and they were closed, so I walked next door to The Pink Adobe.

The Pink Adobe building is 350 years old; pretty cool.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy what do Germans do with chili?

Put potatoes in it

Like a stew?

Basically. Kartoffel Suppe is very popular.

I actually know what you just said, and just no. No potatoes and chili.

Cornbread. Preferably on the sweet side, but not TOO sweet. Shredded cheese on the side for those who like it, but I include cheese only if the resulting concoction is a frito pie.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls?! Never heard of that with. As dessert maybe, bit never specifically for chili.
    I like cornbread or saltines best. My Grandpa likes Ritz crackers.
    And definitely beans for me, and spaghetti otr macaroni is good too. My husband hatrs beans though, so I don't make very often.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I feel like Chili without beans is just bolognese sauce.
    I feel like Chili without a meat is just Hot sauce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Green Chile Sauce...

Red Chile Sauce...

Red-Chile-Sauce.jpg

guadalupe04.jpg

The last time I was there was a Monday and they were closed, so I walked next door to The Pink Adobe.

The Pink Adobe building is 350 years old; pretty cool.

Fun...or not so fun fact. Pink Adobe went under, but they sold the building to Guadalupe Cafe...so Guadalupe Cafe is now where the Pink Adobe is and the building where Guadalupe Cafe was has been a few different restaurants now.

Not sure how Guadalupe does it only being open two days per week for brunch...
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Neither! I've never heard of people eating cinnamon rolls with chili! Corn bread is not very common either, I've only had it maybe once, didn't like it either.
    Me, just bread, I'm from Canada

Me too!!!

Can we be friends? You know, share maple leafs and stuff?

As long as you don't talk about hockey
  • FeraFilia
    Options

you're dead to me; dead.

I thought maybe so. Thing is, I can't remember a time in my life without it.

I college, there was a Skyline just 24 cartwheels away from our house.

Moving away, I went years without it. Now we can buy it at the grocery store here in Arizona.

It's super unhealthy but that's okay; if it takes a couple of years off of my life on the backside, it will be well worth it.

I had Skyline chili for the first time 3 years ago. I got a 3-way. The the mountain of unmelted cheese, the pasta, the weird spice combo... it just all struck my palate as wrong since I'd recently spent a year in Texas.

Maybe Cincinnati chili will eventually grow on me. Maybe.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Where the *kitten* do they eat cinnamon rolls with chili? I want to know so I can move there.
    You may not want to move there haha, the only place I've seen it done is the midwestern US (Nebraska, Kansas, etc). One of the schools I went to served cinnamon rolls with chili every time!

Really! I'm 69 yo, born and raised in Iowa, lived in Midwest most of my life.
    So thanks to Google I learned something new today! See below
    I found a comment on a Facebook page that said chili and cinnamon rolls was called a logger’s breakfast. Logging camps would take yesterday’s left overs and make chili and dump it over a cinnamon roll for high calories the loggers needed to complete their work.

The chili/cinnamon roll union seems to be most popular in Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Montana and Kansas. I even found an entire Pinterest page dedicated to cinnamon rolls and chili.

Read More: What's the Origin Behind Chili and Cinnamon Rolls? | http://mix97-3.com/whats-the-origin-behind-chili-and-cinnamon-rolls/?trackback=tsmclip

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    @MeeseeksAndDestroy what do Germans do with chili?

Put potatoes in it

Like a stew?

Basically. Kartoffel Suppe is very popular.

I actually know what you just said, and just no. No potatoes and chili.

Cornbread. Preferably on the sweet side, but not TOO sweet. Shredded cheese on the side for those who like it, but I include cheese only if the resulting concoction is a frito pie.

I'm going to put potatoes in your corn bread too

Put them in her inbox too
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls with chili! And beans in that chili! (Nebraska).
    Also acceptable is sprinkle cheese on top of the chili add in Fritos!
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    So... I've lived in a lot of places and there's one thing that seems to separate people and that's their chili. Some areas say no beans in chili, some say beans are standard and so on. But the real debate:

Do you eat CORNBREAD or CINNAMON ROLLS with your chili? If you do cornbread, how do you eat it (sweet, savory, or spicy)? What region/country are you from- feel free to skip this if you want but it's interesting to see the trends!

I live in New Mexico...chili is a whole other animal entirely here. When people make bean and ground beef chili here, they call it cowboy chili or Texas chili...

chili here comes in either red or green and is usually smokin' hot...it's more of a sauce that you douse things in rather than something you would eat on it's own. Some people will make a pot of red chili sauce and then cover beans and beef with it which is more similar to cowboy chili, but there's not tomatoes or anything like that...just chiles.

I grew in Colorado and only knew chili as green chili. It is SO much better than cowboy chili, but unheard of in Nebraska!