• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Those things can be pretty dangerous.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a freak accident.

See those things used in TV cooking shows to make culinary foam concoctions. The contents/parts are under high pressure and, if not screwed together properly, they can obviously be dangerous to operate (as many things in the kitchen are).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    whip cream with whisk?
  • Fathater36
    Fathater36 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    RIP
    This is so so scary
  • martinamcburneywheeler
    Options
    That poor woman and her loved ones. Freak accidents are always especially scary because in spite of the best laid plans and precautions, they can happen to anyone.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The poor woman, and her poor family. All over a freak accident.

I think the Buzzfeed article gets it a bit wrong. They say she was hit in the throat, but I've read previously that she was hit in the chest, which would be more consistent with cardiac arrest. Elsewhere, I saw it pointed out that this is what might have happened, as a result of the blow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis. I had heard of a teenager who was struck in the chest with a hockey puck, years ago, and died as a result, so thought it might be the same condition that was triggered. I tried to find the particular news story, and discovered that this has happened several times in hockey (mostly amateur, so I'm guessing they didn't have all of the best chest protection, though I saw one story where it managed to do the damage in spite of full chest protection), as well as other sports (baseball or softball, and even one girl hit with a volleyball).

So yeah... be careful not to get walloped in the chest, or else it might disrupt your heart rhythm, and even with prompt medical attention, you'd only have a 35% chance of living.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That's awful!

and yikes, I have one of those whipped cream dispensers at my house! I've used it many times and never thought anything of it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wow. They use something like that in our employee cafeteria. A guy was making me something and asked that I wait a minute while he refilled it, and it popped, making a mess all over the guy, the wall, and a tv monitor. It was hilarious at the time. Now I'm sort of terrified for those workers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Sad.

I thought I was going to die one time. I was eating steak and cut off a big piece, didn't chew it thoroughly and tried to swallow. It got stuck in my throat. I couldn't breathe and knew if I didn't dislodge it, I was going to die from asphyxiation. I grabbed a field hockey ball, put it just below my sternum and jolted myself hard against the countertop edge. And it dislodged the piece of steak. I sat on the floor and started to cry.
    Now I NEVER chew a piece of meat any larger than half a stick of gum.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sad.

I thought I was going to die one time. I was eating steak and cut off a big piece, didn't chew it thoroughly and tried to swallow. It got stuck in my throat. I couldn't breathe and knew if I didn't dislodge it, I was going to die from asphyxiation. I grabbed a field hockey ball, put it just below my sternum and jolted myself hard against the countertop edge. And it dislodged the piece of steak. I sat on the floor and started to cry.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had a similar experience when I was younger (8 yrs old) with a strawberry candy (the kind where the wrapper looks like a strawberry) and it got caught in the back of my throat. I fell over a stair as I was frantic and panicking and trying to get to my parents in a nearby room (not because I knew anything about the Heimlich) and it popped out. Even just a few moments of that makes me nervous about hard candy to this day- it is still a very vivid and scary memory.

I am sorry for the family of the blogger who died this way, it is tragic.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I had a Dorito lodge sideways in my throat as a teenager, I couldn't breathe! I kept trying to wave at my mom but she thought I was screwing around and told me to knock it off,finally it got soggy and I swallowed it but it scared me bad
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    yikes!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    She should have stuck with a can of tuna and a bag of lettuce.

Ha!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That is so sad. You just never know when or how your time will come.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Wow, way to think it through under pressure!!
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    She should have stuck with a can of tuna and a bag of lettuce.

I don't know... Can openers can be pretty dangerous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    Sad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Wow, way to think it through under pressure!!
    Well I was already CPR certified at the time and we're always taught to be calm in the moment. I don't think I was that calm, but I KNEW I had to expel it out with pressure on the diaphram, so I was fortunate that the ball was close by. I was using it daily to roll my sole out because of mild plantar fasciitis.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Sad.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had a similar experience when I was younger (8 yrs old) with a strawberry candy (the kind where the wrapper looks like a strawberry) and it got caught in the back of my throat. I fell over a stair as I was frantic and panicking and trying to get to my parents in a nearby room (not because I knew anything about the Heimlich) and it popped out. Even just a few moments of that makes me nervous about hard candy to this day- it is still a very vivid and scary memory.

I am sorry for the family of the blogger who died this way, it is tragic.

The same thing happened to me with a butterscotch candy when I was about 5. My mom reached her finger into my mouth and got it out. Terrible!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    A billion other people could have died from whipped cream shrapnel and it wouldn't be a story. A French bikini model dies, and it's a story with pictures. People are sick.