New and need to gain

Options
emkay79
emkay79 Posts: 6 Member
Hi! I'm relatively new here and need some advice for gaining weight as am underweight according to doctor. My appetite isn't the best and I'm vegetarian. Also tend to pick really healthy things and hate nuts, so butter and mayo, etc. would be hard to eat. Thanks for your thoughts!

Replies

• emkay79
    Options
    **anything with nuts, but do use almond butter and PB2
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    emkay79 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm relatively new here and need some advice for gaining weight as am underweight according to doctor. My appetite isn't the best and I'm vegetarian. Also tend to pick really healthy things and hate nuts, so butter and mayo, etc. would be hard to eat. Thanks for your thoughts!

Good thing butter and mayo aren't made with nuts! Adding them, and other calorie dense foods like oils, to meals will add calories without a lot of volume. (during cooking as well as on to your meal)

To gain weight you need to eat more calories. If you don't have an appetite, that might mean planning meals and scheduling meal times to get calories in. Drink calories - juice, milk, smoothies. Pick calorie dense foods - those with higher fats and starchier carbs.
  • emkay79
    Options
    Thanks! I meant I don't like butter and mayo either. But, I know more calories are needed.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try picking higher calorie choices like bananas and avocados instead of tomatoes or plums.

I have a very picky underweight girl, and for her it is just more of what can she eat, and add in the needed nutrients as you can. Eat faster, too. She is mostly vegetarian. As I type this, she is on her 3rd bowl of cereal to get to a reasonable calorie intake. She couldn't face anything else for calories today, just low cal veggies.
  • grantsupak
    grantsupak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats and very calorie dense. Even a small one has about 150 calories. Also, I don't know if you like beer... but a strong variety such as a porter, double bock, or stout can have 200+ calories per drink!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I meant I don't like butter and mayo either. But, I know more calories are needed.

You don't like them, or you don't think they're healthy so you avoid them?
  • Rachwait
    Rachwait Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Sorry to sound stupid I know why not PB2 but why not almond? X x
  • emkay79
    Options

You don't like them, or you don't think they're healthy so you avoid them?

I don't like the taste.
  • emkay79
    Options
    Rachwait wrote: »

Sorry to sound stupid I know why not PB2 but why not almond? X x

I use almond butter and PB2.
  • emkay79
    Options
    grantsupak wrote: »
    Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats and very calorie dense. Even a small one has about 150 calories. Also, I don't know if you like beer... but a strong variety such as a porter, double bock, or stout can have 200+ calories per drink!

I don't drink, but avocados are good.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Guacamole all day every day! lol.