Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can you go from big stomach/love handles to flat stomach/6 pack?

I have lost 25 lbs and im working on losing another 25 lbs. A friend of mine insists that the stomach once its big cannot be flat or have a six pack ever no matter what you do, unless there is surgery involved. Although it is not my goal (yes I want to reduce my fat in that area) is that true? I am currently 152 lbs and 5'2 and 37 years old. At my lowest weight I was 140 and had a good sized love handle there lol

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Yes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Yes.

Agreed.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    I think it depends on your own physiology and how stretchy your skin is and if you have had kids. There are plenty of women out there who have done a lot of body work (here on MFP) that didn't include surgery that look pretty great. Maybe pose your question a different way to see if they will respond.

Here is an article that explains:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I think it depends on your own physiology and how stretchy your skin is and if you have had kids. There are plenty of women out there who have done a lot of body work (here on MFP) that didn't include surgery that look pretty great. Maybe pose your question a different way to see if they will respond.

Here is an article that explains:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-get-rid-of-loose-skin-after-weight-loss/

thank you for this article! it explained a lot!
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    I've always had big love handles, always. Now that I'm a healthy weight they are completely gone and the only thing that remains is a small bit of loose wrinkled skin that is hardly noticeable. Next up will be abs. So yes, totally possible.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Well.. I sure as hell hope so..
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2017
    I did it in my 40's after having several evasive surgeries through my abdominals one leaving a 10-12" scar.

Hard to say without knowing your LBM but I'd hazard you might have to be in 105-110 range to have a ripped look at your height.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited June 2017
    brendacs21 wrote: »
    A friend of mine insists that the stomach once its big cannot be flat or have a six pack ever no matter what you do, unless there is surgery involved. Although it is not my goal (yes I want to reduce my fat in that area) is that true?

No, it's not true.

A year ago I was 65, 196# w/a 38" waist at +20%BF (probably +25 but didn't measure it at the time) w/a pot belly and obviously no visible abs.

I`m 66 now, 157# w/a 33" waist at 10%BF (measured hydrostatically) w/a flat belly and defined 6 pack along w/a lot of other muscle development and definition.

Achieved this by means of a controlled low cal & high protein diet together w/a progressive lifting program and coordinated cardio, calesthenics and crossfit exercises.