Tattoos

Options
Charlie003
Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
I would like to know how your tattoo experience was. What did you get, where? How much did it hurt? Would you do it again. I am about to get a back piece and would like to know what I am in for. For any interested, the main components of the tattoo are in my pics on profile page. Odin on top, Thor on the right of Odin, Loki on the left, hammer in the middle.

Cheers :drinker:

Replies

• depeachy
    depeachy Posts: 1
    Options
    As far as back pieces I got my son's middle name and huge wings. It will hurt. No way around that. Different people have different tolerances but a piece the size you're talking will take a long time. I personally took a bunch of pain killers before it and during and it helped tremendously.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    That's a big piece for what sounds like your first tat.

Anyway, i have two. One on my upper back/right shoulder area and one on my left calf. I kind of compared the pain to falling and skinning your knee repeatedly for the time of the tattoo. It's not terrible but it's not comfortable. Anytime you get near bone, though, it's gonna hurt more so if you have any going over your spine or shoulder blade that's gonna hurt. Anytime you go near areas like the underside of your arm it's more sensitive as well.
  • sociable15
    sociable15 Posts: 98
    Options
    Also be careful about the painkiller advice becase many OTC pain killers are also blood thinners and will make you bleed more.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    I have three. The one in my picture I just got Saturday. Yes, it hurts but it is easy to manage because you know it WILL end. I agree with the others, a back piece is really ambitious for your first one. Just be sure it means something to you. Mine is for my dad, my first car was a 68 mustang we rebuilt together.

Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i have the entire left side of my back done...and yeah it hurts like hell. But that's to be expected. The worst part was along the side and armpit area, back fat didn't tickle either. best part was on top of the shoulders and along the side of the spine. I didn't check to see if you were female or not..if you are, don't go when you have your period. Your skin will hate you and you'll swell and go red instantly. Trust me, it sucks. I'm currently trying to win a free tattoo right now, I'm going to get a crow either on my bicept or down my side...I'm addicted lol It took 5 months to finish my back piece, anywhere between 2-5 hours a session each month. Different spots are a different pain..good luck, and enjoy the experience.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Also be careful about the painkiller advice becase many OTC pain killers are also blood thinners and will make you bleed more.

Oh and this... I wouldn't recommend anything that thins the blood, scabs over and takes longer to heal.
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    I have 7 Tattoos, 4 on my arms, 1 on leg and 2 on my chest. To everyone the pain is different, and it also depends on your tattoo artist. My first chest tattoo was the most painful one because the artist had a heavy hand. My newest tattoo was on my chest and it didn't hurt as much. I don't know how the back feels because I don't have one there yet, but most people I talk to say it isn't that bad but the spine is the worst part.

ohh and yes I want more!!
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    I love tattoos my dad owns a tattoo shop so I get mine for free : -) but when. lose the weight I was going to get another one on my back but the only pain I felt when I got my lower back tattoo was when it hit the spine and on my calves I have two big dragons and the only pain I got was the back of my calves and I'm getting a gothic fairy soon can't wait .. good luck with your tattoo
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have 5 and my biggest piece on my arm hurt the most (3 sittings totalling about 9 hours) - the first time I sat for 5 hours and it was pretty painful - the longer you sit the more irritating it is to sit through the pain, I find...it's becomes dead to you pretty fast! But it's so worth it, especially a piece that means something to you and that you're really excited for.
    All of my others were smaller and anywhere from 30-45 minutes. Those are a piece of cake :)
    Good luck to you!!!
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I've got a few. A 3hour tribal peace bottom of my back, roses round my ankle, a trible butterfly on top of my right foot, a huge bird on my back with a lilly and both my kids names on my wrists. Like the first reply it's defo gona hurt. My worst one was my bird on my back when the tattooist kept going over and over the tail,and it was even worse when I got it recoloured last year. If it's defo what you want though then it's worth the pain.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I actually have 6
    one on the base of my neck (upper back)... its a little butterfly - didn't hurt at all... would def do it again
    one on my lower back (refuse to call a tramp stamp)... its the word "Beautiful" - didn't hurt, but felt funny... would do again
    one on my left upper arm... portrait of my oldest son with his name and D.O.B - didn't hurt - would do again
    one on my right arm... my nickname (first one I got) - felt weird being it was my first - would do again
    one on the inside of my left thigh... 6 paw prints... hurt more at the top of my thigh... would do again
    my newest one is on my left side (base of rib cage) - its a quote w/ a butterfly (being added next weekend) - HURT LIKE HELL - would do again (lol)
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have three tatts and three piercing. I kind of liked the thrill of the pain knowing what the end results would be!

Everyone's pain threshold is different so you can't compare or describe it.

Karen
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    the longer you sit the more irritating it is to sit through the pain.

This is so true.

Also with long session don't take breaks for pain because when you start back up again it hurts even more.
  • shellyxxxxx
    shellyxxxxx Posts: 143
    Options
    i have 11 but the only place it hurt was on my foot i totally screamed my head off x good luck x
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have heard the foot is a real ***** for tattoos.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    It's just like scratching yourself over and over again till it's done

But really, don't worry about the pain to much because as soon as your sat down and they start it you're gunna go through with it no matter how much it hurts because you won't want half a tattoo!!

All the best!

Oh and also, you can expect the back to hurt alot because of the bones there. I had one on my shoulder blade and that hurt more than i expected after my 1st (wrist)!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I only have one (on my wrist), and it hurt (I puked, lol). But I will absolutely be getting more =)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have heard the foot is a real ***** for tattoos.

I bared down like I was having a kid, and it only took 20 minutes...and it wasn't my first tattoo either..but I love it, my mom and my two sisters have the same tattoo on their foot.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Any part of your body where there's not much cushion (over bones) is going to hurt quite a bit. I have one around my ankle and one on the inner part of my hip. I don't remember the hip one hurting very much at all, actually, but it's been a long time. I had the ankle tattoo (my profile pic) touched up last year and the flowers added. I think I still have the bite marks on the fleshy part of my thumb....
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I have three too. My hip, up my side ribs and on the top of my foot. My hip hurt very little. The high ribs were a B*tch and the top of my foot was pretty painful. I didn't take any pain meds though. Once it was done, I put A&D on it and that was it.