Dessert & sweets

Options
How often is it okay to have a dessert or sweets?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As often as you want as long as it fits your calorie/macro goals
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night, 7 days a week.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's never NOT okay to have dessert or sweets :)
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Heart_of_a_lion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ok listen, I'm not going to lie to you like everyone else. You CANNOT be eating sweets and desert often if your goal is weight loss...EVEN IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS. I don't mean to sound mean or anything but lots of sugar will eventually be stored as fat. People that eat a lot of sugar and stay lean and 1. Genetically predisposed to having very high insulin sensitivity 2. Eat it right before their workouts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm tired of hearing this whole.. "if it fits your macros" crap. Try eating 2000 calories worth of sugar (if it fits your macros) and let me know what how you feel afterwards.

Once in a while.. cool.. often: NO.

Just being honest
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Ok listen, I'm not going to lie to you like everyone else. You CANNOT be eating sweets and desert often if your goal is weight loss...EVEN IF IT FITS YOUR MACROS. I don't mean to sound mean or anything but lots of sugar will eventually be stored as fat. People that eat a lot of sugar and stay lean and 1. Genetically predisposed to having very high insulin sensitivity 2. Eat it right before their workouts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm tired of hearing this whole.. "if it fits your macros" crap. Try eating 2000 calories worth of sugar (if it fits your macros) and let me know what how you feel afterwards.

Just being honest

I eat dessert every night. Even when dieting - I sacrifice calories earlier in the day because of it. Works for me..its not before training. I'm not genetically predisposed to high insulin sensitivity.

Dessert =/= sitting down with a bag of sugar, or using up all my calories on sugar.... (eating the majority of your calories from sugar wouldn't fit in to the guidelines of IIFYM anyway, as you'd likely not fit your protein, fats or recommended fibre in)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Just being honest

The dessert I'm having tonight has 7g of sugar, not too shabby imo. It's simply 200g Greek yogurt, with 30g protein powder and 10g PB2 mixed in. Dessert doesn't automatically have to equal a sugar bomb. I also have a Quest bar (1g sugar) instead of a candy bar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like having a little something after dinner and do when it fits in my calories. Sometimes it's good cheese (a perfectly reasonable dessert, desserts are not always sweet), sometimes it's fruit or nuts, sometimes it's greek yogurt with a little nut butter, sometimes it's dark chocolate, and sometimes it's ice cream. On rare occasion it's something else (on holidays, usually pie). I tried a low carb rhubarb crisp recently, turned out pretty well. Calorie count might be very low, might be higher if it's a special occasion or I have the calories.

And no, sugar isn't stored as fat if you are in a deficit.

Also, eating dessert doesn't mean you eat lots of sugar over the course of the day.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Just being honest

No.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake#latest

Read this thread. It will change your life.

Even at that, I still eat regular cookies and things like caramel corn on occasion. The protein cheesecake? I have that every day.

Also? Your whole ish about genetic insulin sensitivity and eating sugar in a deficit and having it be stored as fat is so off the mark.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Just being honest

The whole POINT of allowing yourself dessert/sugar is so you DON'T east 2,000 calories worth of it. When you restrict yourself of what your body naturally craves, your're just setting yourself up for disaster. Speaking from experience.

Friend of mine lost a lot of weight recently. When telling us about it, he said that when people ask how he did it he says he ate junk food, which isn't really a joke, since he intentionally decided to work in a little something he considers a treat every day (sugary granola bar, cookie, whatever), because it makes it easier for him to stick to plan.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    yeah- I usually work in what I consider to be a dessert every night- I like night time eating so I save some of my calories for something I can enjoy- maybe halo top or Edy's ice cream or even regular ice cream or a few cookies or kettle corn popcorn etc- I HAVE t enjoy myself or I will STOP and I am NOT stopping
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I eat some form of dessert every night. Sometimes it's Greek yogurt with Oreo thins, or a mini Drumstick or if it's the weekend a fancy high calorie cake. I budget it and fit it in my calories. I am losing weight and reaching my physique goals just fine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Just being honest

You're wrong.

Excess calories gets turned into fat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How often is it okay to have a dessert or sweets?

As often as you need. I need something sweet for dessert every day. I'll even exercise more to have the calories to get it.

I don't fake sweet, either. I use real pies, cakes, cookies, candies and ice cream for it. Of course, the only way I can lose weight is to eat very little of my sweets.

However, for much of last year my "dessert sweet" was 40 grams of prunes.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Just being honest

2000 calories of sugar would not fit most macros. It helps to actually understand IIFYM.