Protein supplement

Options
2»

Replies

• PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So, is saying its a lipogenesis/lipolysis equation based on calories independent of insulin response? He says the area under the curb is the same with different gi carb assimilation and protein and fiber negates the effects of gi score. I mentioned this in my previous post. If you eat protein, fat and low gi carbs before the high gi carbs it slows the digestion of the high gi carb. Though he is not saying eating many calories of high gi carbs independent of other food is a good idea.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    So, is saying its a lipogenesis/lipolysis equation based on calories independent of insulin response? He says the area under the curb is the same with different gi carb assimilation and protein and fiber negates the effects of gi score. I mentioned this in my previous post. If you eat protein, fat and low gi carbs before the high gi carbs it slows the digestion of the high gi carb. Though he is not saying eating many calories of high gi carbs independent of other food is a good idea.

Essentially, it all comes down to energy balance when it comes down to net fat storage regardless of the gi rating.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I am skeptical but appreciate the different viewpoint.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am skeptical but appreciate the different viewpoint.

You can also look at the studies done by kevin hall from the NIH. He compared keto vs moderate low fat (high sugar) diets in a metabolic ward (protein was held constant). No difference in fat loss.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    Thanks, I will look it up this weekend.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I like Garden of Life "Rawfit" on Vanilla. I can't stand the smell or taste of whey and can't have soy, so it's a good Vegan option that also has a lot of pre and probiotics. The Vanilla is the only flavor I've tried, but they have many.
  • PPumpItUp
    Options
    I like Garden of Life "Rawfit" on Vanilla. I can't stand the smell or taste of whey and can't have soy, so it's a good Vegan option that also has a lot of pre and probiotics. The Vanilla is the only flavor I've tried, but they have many.

FYI if you take a vegetable protein, to get the same impact as whey, you should supplement with a BCAA or double the dose, which doubles the calories.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

FYI if you take a vegetable protein, to get the same impact as whey, you should supplement with a BCAA or double the dose, which doubles the calories.

I do drink a BCAA. Everyday prior to workout and then sip it diluted until about an hour or two afterward. I use Nutricost BCAA in Green Apple. $21.99 for 65 servings (7.8 gram servings, I think).
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use optimiun
    I always love how no one actually answers the question/s asked on this forum...

OP-As far as protein powder's go I'm a fan of Optimum Nutrition's Whey Protein. They're a good company that's been around forever. I believe Bodybuilding.com has a UK online store.

I use this as well. Double chocolate
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    3) If not, think about protein shakes to cram a bit more in.
    Most popular brand in the UK is MyProtein, which is what I use. Loads of other brands though - Optimum Nutrition is also meant to be good.
    There are a whole WORLD of complicated supplements out there, and a ton of different kinds of protein, but whey isolate is the normal place to start.

Sample sachets in a ton of flavours start at 99p
    https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein-sample/10529583.html

This. I HIGHLY recommend the Myprotein brand. Cheap, tastes great, and ranked 1 in Labdoor testing (Labdoor tests protein supplements to see if they contain the amount of protein they claim).

I picked up 22lbs of protein from their US store for $100 with coupon. I imagine it's a similar price on their UK site. Just look for a coupon as well.

I recommend Mocha, Cinnamon Roll, and Chocolate Mint. They are delicious. I've heard chocolate smooth is very good as well, but haven't got around to opening that one yet.
  • conseanery
    conseanery Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the brand: Trutein. It is a mixture between Whey, Micellar Casein, and Egg white. No Amino spiking, digestive enzymes, gluten-free, low sodium and you can check the label as there are no proprietary blends. I like the CinnaBun flavor. I scoop or two a day helps make sure I get my protein to supplement with my normal meals which I try to keep high in protein. Nothing crazy - I get anywhere from 120-130 grams a day.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    2 bags of gummie bears helped me through a pre-test(race) training run. It was truly amazing.

i'm a haribo woman myself.

on protein, i order whey isolate from canadianprotein.com. if i lived in the uk i'd be using myprotein, i guess.