Diets do not work

Options
staceyb4mfp
staceyb4mfp Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Thought provoking title, however, I am an active supporter of the HAES movement (Health At Every Size). Whilst I care about my nutrition, and weight train on a regular basis, I do this for enjoyment and to nourish my body as opposed to hate on it...which I did for so many years.

I cannot stand fad diets, restrictive dieting and nonsense myths about health and fitness. My whole philosophy is about loving your body, self love and self care despite societal expectations. Every body is different and that should be celebrated.

I'd love to find people who are like minded, curious, struggle with weight/body image, have issues surrounding food and/or exercise and would be interested in discussing an alternative approach to the madness that is the diet industry.

Feel free to add me and be part of a loving and supportive community.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That's nice. What made you think that you'd find enthusiasts of health at any size here?
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @staceyb4mfp you're not right or wrong and @DebLaBounty you're not right or wrong both of your statements are subjective in order to get your weight down you must restrict your eating to a healthier diet. And I understand what Stacey stated about being happy in your skin, I would assume she means if you're for instance Ashley Graham size she will never be a size zero (she would look like she's sick) her skeleton shape doesn't size up to a smaller Heidi Klum (I might misspelled her name) so each day Ashley is working out she's just eliminating the excess fat and defining muscles she already has. This is my opinion
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that *any* size is healthy. A range, sure, but absolutely any.... no, your body is going to break down if you are way too thin or way too fat.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ummm

Are you just trolling?

I can guarantee that everybody here who spends the time to log and monitor their intake "loves" their body.

People don't do things they "hate".

The person here who is being offensive is you!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a prerequisite to love your body, but you do need to love yourself. I also think that health at every size is a bunch of bunk. You want proof of that? Go to the hospital and visit with people who are admitted with conditions directly related to their obesity or malnourishment.
  • staceyb4mfp
    Options
    That's nice. What made you think that you'd find enthusiasts of health at any size here?

I am one and I am here in answer to your question; if I am the only one then so be it but given the thousands of members I think it unlikely.
  • staceyb4mfp
    Options
    @DebLaBounty You pose an interesting response, and it seems that your perspective is fuelled by wanting to be able to move your body in a way that feels good to you.
    There is no right or wrong and I am certainly not judging anyone or their choices, that is simply none of my business. The question is more directly aimed at dieting as a concept and as an industry.

Whilst being in a caloric deficit is indeed how body fat is lost from a physiological standpoint, I am suggesting that diets which incorporate restriction as a long term solution do not work. Forgive me if I am wrong but from your response it sounds as if you are actually adopting new/different/healthy habits into your lifestyle? That sounds wonderful and also great for your mindset, and an approach that will generate a much more sustainable result in ones life as a whole than simply the pursuit of weight loss.
  • staceyb4mfp
    Options
    @arrghmatey1 I am not sure that having an opinion and raising a question about an industry is trolling? Parhaps I am wrong but I was under the impression that trolling is a negative thing and yet my entire point is about self love and self care. Is this negative?

In any case I disagree with your point that people don't do things they hate. Nonsense. We all have to do things we'd rather not do in life and speaking to restriction in particular, your point would suggest that even those with diagnosed/undiagnosed eating disorders, disordered eating, exercise bulimia, orthorexia etc love what they are doing? Just a thought.
  • staceyb4mfp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @nutmegoreo I couldn't agree more, you do not have to love your body. You do not have to do anything. Self love and self care is, in my understanding a deeper level of compassion for ones self as a being in a body as opposed to the physical body itself.

Your opinion about health at every size is very much your right. Nonetheless we'll have to agree to disagree o that point; I don't need to visit any hospitals as I have first hand experience.
  • staceyb4mfp
    Options
    @seska422 I absolutely love your point! "You do you" is such a open and free statement, and you raise a very good argument about HAES. I suppose since I don't work for the movement I more enjoy the idea behind it as a way of life.

I might add that we are not all here to manage weight hence raising the question. I can only comment on my own journey and have no real opinion on other individuals or their choices. I like yoga and weight lifting, it's the way I choose to move my body, but to powerlift I need to be sure I'm fuelling myself proportionately to my requirements...enter MFP.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Not a supporter of the HAES movement because as a professional in the business, I've dealt with many a client that though they were athletes, active, etc. in prior years, weight gain reduced their activity as well as increased risk for injury, wear and tear on the body, etc. You WON'T find any Journal of Medicine or Science showing that exceeding an acceptable weight, even if they are competitive athletes, doesn't increase risk for health issues.
    While it's NOT right to discriminate against anyone because of their size, you don't have to support their lifestyle either. HAES can lead people to believe they can be healthy even if they are obese, but that's just not supported or true by medical standards. Whitney Thore (My Big Fat Fabulous Life) is now starting to see what her weight is doing to her health and body while being a big supporter of HAES.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I can only comment on my own journey and have no real opinion on other individuals or their choices.
    Whilst I care about my nutrition, and weight train on a regular basis, I do this for enjoyment and to nourish my body as opposed to hate on it...which I did for so many years.

I cannot stand fad diets, restrictive dieting and nonsense myths about health and fitness. My whole philosophy is about loving your body, self love and self care despite societal expectations. Every body is different and that should be celebrated.

an alternative approach to the madness that is the diet industry.
    That seems to be an opinion that restrictive dieting isn't loving or caring for your body.
  • staceyb4mfp
    Options
    @seska422 You're right. It is. For me.

I have not said at any point that anyone has to do what I say, follow HAES (which in fact research does back), or be/do anything in particular.

Honestly this is exacerbating. The whole point of my post was to express a personal opinion and to offer support to like minded individuals not to instigate argument.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Conversation that makes us question our views is a great thing. You can learn a lot from it. If you have access to some of this research that supports HAES, I'd love to read it.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

I have not said at any point that anyone has to do what I say, follow HAES (which in fact research does back), or be/do anything in particular.

Honestly this is exacerbating. The whole point of my post was to express a personal opinion and to offer support to like minded individuals not to instigate argument.
    For future reference, if you don't want to instigate an argument, don't have a bait title like "Diets do not work" on a community forum for a website that is, at least in part, about dieting.

As I said before, it's great that you've found a method that works for you. I wish you continued success and hope that you find those like-minded people you are seeking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

Post the research. I for one would love to see the organization backing it and what peer reviewed clinical studies they used to confirm it.
    There's a GROUPS section you can do that in. Religion discussion isn't allowed on the main forums but fine in the groups section.
    Realize though that posting on the main forum, you open yourself up to the community and they have the opportunity to offer their POV.
    I'll agree with you about dieting. I believe that the majority of them are just short term, money makers for the sellers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• staceyb4mfp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @ninerbuff Very true, there are no medical journals supporting that because the research has not been done. I am more interested in the psychological aspect of restriction in any case, and long term assessment of what this does to the body, as opposed to meeting a specific size/weight requirement.

I'd be interested to know what constitutes an 'acceptable' weight? Further to this, I think that in your line of work education is key. Unfortunately people don't seem to have done their research with HAES and appear to link it to promoting being very heavy. Not the case. It is, as you say, about removing weight stigma and body shaming. It is, as with anything, your own perspective that will land the reality of what you do with the information.

Medical journals have not ventured this territory to date, perhaps it would be an idea if they did. There would then at least be balanced research available to the interested individual.
  • staceyb4mfp
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Before anyone makes another argument against the above, please note there is a difference between medical journals, correlation, and causation research.

Not all research is equal, therefore it is up to each individual to check out what's available for themselves.