Gaining weight instead of loosing

Options
I have been following SW for 14 months and lost almost 5 stone I have been following for calorie counting and MFP for 3 weeks and in my first week lost 1.5 lbs second week lost 4lbs and when I weighed on Saturday I had gained 3lbs and I am so upset I don't understand how as I've eaten well within my calorie allowance everyday yes I've eaten out a few times but within my calories but this is why I switched over to cc in the first place because it fits more with my lifestyle well so I thought.
Can anyone help me understand why I have gained 3lbs? I still have lots of weight to loose and I'd rather go back to sw and be unhappy then gain 3lbs a week

Replies

• liannebaker17
    liannebaker17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday morning at 0830 at my slimming world group. I'm so new to this calorie counting I don't quite believe I can eat what ever I want and still loose (within cals obviously) and I put it to the test this week and I gained
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You never didn't lose weight in 14 months of slimming world?

How much do you have left to lose?

And to answer your original question you gained weight because it's water.
  • liannebaker17
    Options
    The reason I left SW and switched back to MFP calories was because SW is not a way of living my life forever. It allows you to over eat and gives you a pat on the back for excuses. It does not teach you about how salt, water, time of day, week, month affects you so you are feeling the result of your body coming away from that way of eating to this. You say you are getting weighed at SW still - are you trying to mix SW with calories?

I never realised salt and an impact on weight? I used to smother my chips and potatoes on slimming world in salt
  • liannebaker17
    Options
    You never didn't lose weight in 14 months of slimming world?

How much do you have left to lose?

And to answer your original question you gained weight because it's water.

I still have another 7 ish stone to loose.
  • liannebaker17
    Options
    No I'm not following sw ATM I just use the scales there on a Saturday morning whilst I'm helping out there. Plus it ensures I weigh at the same time very week and I've been going by those scales for the last 14 months so don't want to use different scales now
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    No I'm not following sw ATM I just use the scales there on a Saturday morning whilst I'm helping out there. Plus it ensures I weigh at the same time very week and I've been going by those scales for the last 14 months so don't want to use different scales now

And your weight has NEVER gone up before in 14 months...?
  • liannebaker17
    Options

Yeah I've had a couple of half or 1 and a half pound gains but nothing like 3lbs
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Yeah I've had a couple of half or 1 and a half pound gains but nothing like 3lbs

And you understand that those were water, so why would this be any different?!
  • liannebaker17
    Options

And you understand that those were water, so why would this be any different?!

I thought it would have been because I ate badly those weeks on slimming world
  • slimmons_1
    slimmons_1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said here as I've had exactly the same and mainly after takeaways but never knew salt had an impact on weight but now I know. if you need any help I'm hear for you
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    If you only weigh weekly I would be willing to bet that your weight has gone up 3lbs before but it dropped off before you weighed again. You may be ovulating or pms could also cause that much water weight. If eat out I always gain the next few days so if I eat out more than once in a week it's very likely that I won't see a loss at all that week and possibly even a gain for the week. I weigh daily though so I'm used to seeing the fluctuations and can usually pinpoint what caused it too. One thing that's help reduce weight gain (for me) when eating out is to keep my order simple...steak or chicken, veggies, salad. If I eat something with a sauce or something more elaborate I always gain more.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I gained 4lbs overnight from yesterday to this morning! I was fully expecting it as i overdid the carbs and sodium big time yesterday, it's just water weight and will disappear by the end of the week.
  • liannebaker17
    Options
    Weightloss is one thing I will never understand. I do think though that if I have another gain this week I'll go back to slimming world. As I had constant losses following slimming world
  • clemteen
    clemteen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this. I started last Monday and when I got on the scale thus morning I had a 2 lb weight gain. I swim 2-3 times a week and had been logging in everything I felt a little disappointed thus morning. I usually have coffee with 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp coconut oil and Stevie sometimes a pat of butter this is the 1 st thing I have in the morning. Later I might have 1-2 eggs and sausage cooked in olive oil. I eat my 2 to last meal around 4-5:30 after my swim. Can anyone help me out a little I won't to give MFP a chance.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There are many factors that can show a gain on the scale...water retention from a new exercise program, water retention from eating meals with lots of sodium, time of the month/ovulation...just because you see a gain, don't assume it's automatically fat. Your weight fluctuates constantly, even through out the day. It's important to understand this.