How do you motivate yourself and stay consistent?

Options
I always get bored and give up on exercise even if I like it. I think it may be because I'm doing it alone but I have nobody to work out with or any money for classes or a gym membership. Are any of you on the same boat? How do you do it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't do any planned/organized exercise because I find it boring, pointless and expensive. Instead, I am more active on the daily. I walk, run, dance, work. That is enough for my needs (health, weight management).
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My motivation is knowing how I will feel afterward. Plus I taught myself to get into my work out clothes at my scheduled time Sorta feels like cheating if I then don't go for the workout. Last but not least I have a gym workout playlist I just put it on when I don't feel like working out and ut usually gets me in the mood.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Honestly I can't do the gym thing. Bores me to tears.
    Most I've been able to do is VERY expensive small group pilates classes because I'll be #$(#$*#)$ if I'm going to waste that kind of $$$. The one time I was able to stick out training at a gym is because I was training/rehabilitating for something very specific that I wanted badly enough to over come the boredom. Agin though, that time was with a very $$$$ private trainer and I wasn't about to waste the money.

For me having an activity I enjoy is better than gym time.
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to be a gym regular, for many years, but I cancelled my membership over a year ago because of the expense vs the amount of time I had free to use it, it just wasn't worth it for me.

Since then, I have discovered just how much you can achieve fitness wise without a gym membership. I cycle, run, walk, dance at home to music - you really only need a small amount of free space for this. I have a few bits at home that help but they're not essential, like kettle bells and a pull up frame and TRX, even that was a cheap substitute one which was heaps cheaper than the branded one but does exactly the same job.. And you can get great results using just your own body weight for strength exercises.

Point is, try mixing it up and if you feel bored, that's ok! I always find doing the same exercise bores me eventually, and I only exercise when I feel like it. Generally, if I take the pressure off myself and stop thinking I HAVE to exercise, I feel like doing it because I want to instead. Although I realise not everyone has such a fickle brain as I do!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I rely more on following a routine than motivation. I do my best to not have to think about it, just get up and do what I have to do.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It started with a 'stick'. My weight impacted my health, leading to refluxed veins in my legs and an impaired lymphatic system. The vascular surgeon told me that I had two ways to manage the condition: compression stockings and lose weight. I spent over two months with a weeping wound on my leg that needed multiple courses of antibiotics to heal due to that impaired lymphatic system. Daily visits from home-care nurses to change the dressing. If losing weight will help me avoid flare-ups, so I don't need to go through that again, that's my major motivation right there.

I started exercising with a daily 25-minute walk—to help my circulation and because, although for weight-loss, calories are the most important thing, 'diet and exercise' was ingrained in my head. And, unlike starvation mode, ACV, etc., nobody was saying that exercise was a weight-loss myth, just that it wasn't as important as keeping to a calorie deficit.

Over time, I got a few carrots to add to my 'stick'. Like:
    • How I feel overall. I've got more energy. I've been diagnosed with mild anxiety issues, but they haven't been anywhere near as bad since I started exercising.
    • People have been noticing for a while and complimenting me.
    • I look forward to adding new 'toys' to my home gym, whether they be the next heavier set of dumbbells, ankle weights, a cardio step, etc.
    • Noticing real progress. A month ago, I could barely do 10 lunges without weights. Now I can do 12 with light (3-lb) weights. Did I mention I'm uncoordinated and usually have a hard time keeping my balance? Maybe sitting on a stability ball every day is helping my core and improving that balance, even if it doesn't feel like a workout. I'm doing biceps curls with 10-lbs.
    • Once a week, I've got a walking buddy. One of those people who's been noticing. And our walk? Is more like 2 hours now.
    • Haven't gone clothes shopping in a while; I've been getting stuff taken in and wearing things with elastic waistbands. But when I do, I think I'm going to be able to find a decent number of things that aren't in the plus-sized stores. 239 days ago when I started MFP, I was a 3X. Now a size 18 skirt I dug out of my closet two weeks ago is loose on me.
    • I've come this far and I've worked *kitten* hard for it. I am extremely motivated in not backsliding.
    • Exercise is mandatory. Same-old, same-old isn't. My goal is 60 minutes on a glider or 2 hours of walking (not necessarily all at once) daily. Strength training may be a full-body workout every other day or alternating between upper and lower body 6 days a week. And if I've walked at least an hour and I don't feel like doing the glider or going out again, and yesterday wasn't a strength-training day? I do two cardio-and-dumbbell interval workouts from my strength-training book (the first one is beginner level and the book states it can be used as a warmup for the more advanced ones, once it becomes easier. The second uses dumbbells and a 9" bouncy ball. Total workout time is about 50 minutes.)
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do my working out at home with videos. I also have my GF as my partner, so we drive each other. We also hold challenge groups with others every month and it keeps us accountable. I find since we started doing this and getting new people involved, its helped keep us on track!
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I always get bored and give up on exercise even if I like it. I think it may be because I'm doing it alone but I have nobody to work out with or any money for classes or a gym membership. Are any of you on the same boat? How do you do it?

MFP helps! Having a gym buddy who I work with really makes me be accountable! Also, if I fall off I allow myself to feel sorry for myself for one day then get off my arce and workout because the workouts give me endorphins! Remember it is not the destination, it's the journey!
  • pinklife1117
    pinklife1117 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Honestly I can't do the gym thing. Bores me to tears.
    Most I've been able to do is VERY expensive small group pilates classes because I'll be #$(#$*#)$ if I'm going to waste that kind of $$$. The one time I was able to stick out training at a gym is because I was training/rehabilitating for something very specific that I wanted badly enough to over come the boredom. Agin though, that time was with a very $$$$ private trainer and I wasn't about to waste the money.

For me having an activity I enjoy is better than gym time.

Soooo true! Find an activity you and enjoy and burn those calories! You don't have to fit your workout into a cookie cutter program! Do what works for you and your body!
  • moonglowfae999
    moonglowfae999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I started a body weight workout today and did it while listening to music. The things I tend to like the most are yoga and cardio but I really dont want to overdo it with the cardio because I wanna gain not lose. I'm thinking that I can maybe drive to the park and do it there. Maybe a change in scenery will help?
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I rely more on following a routine than motivation. I do my best to not have to think about it, just get up and do what I have to do.

This is also my way. I can't let myself even think about whether or not I want to do it or feel like doing it. I treat it like brushing my teeth. It's just a thing I do every day because it's what I do every day. Want and motivation don't really come into it.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Just as another point of view from everyone else:

I always said I couldn't afford a gym membership, but the problem was as hard as I tried I couldn't stay consistent with working out at home. I get distracted too easily and I don't really like working out outside regularly nor do I have a place nearby to do so. I also tried increasing activity in general, but I have a desk job and I just wasn't getting enough exercise.

One day I realized if I had the money to spend on xyz I could spend money on the gym aka my health.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Free yoga videos at home, hula hoop at home and ten dollar Planet Fitness membership are my ways.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I also recommend watching/listening to things on Youtube while working out to get rid of the boredom. Creepypasta stories are great IMHO. (amateur written horror. Many are really good.)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I find working out at home boring and un-motivating while at the gym I excel. I don't have an exercise partner and that it's OK because I prefer to work out alone unless the other person is as interested in lifting as I am. I also love taking fitness classes (yoga and Pilates), walking outdoor (weather permitting) and working in my garden.

Fitness and health are my motivation, besides the mirror and my clothes. To be consistent, you need to enjoy your routine but it doesn't have to be perfect. OP keep on moving and do what you like and enjoy.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

That part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I mostly ride my bike and do a little hiking or climbing on weekends...I enjoy those things as activities so it's usually no biggie. On the occasions that I'm not really feeling it, I just do it because it's on my schedule just like going to a meeting for work or whatever...that happens more with lifting in the gym than cycling, etc...but I just go do it, it's part of the day.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    For me it was figuring out my "why" and reminding myself of that "why" when I feel less than motivated to continue. Once it's routine, things feel "off" if I don't stick to it.
  • becwilpsc
    becwilpsc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do better going to the gym doing fitness classes such as Zumba and Cardio-fit. I take my workout clothes with me and go after work. Hard to push myself to go but always feel better afterwards!
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    YouTube has a lot of good aerobics videos. I do them every now and then. Denise Ausmen I grew up watching and still I find her videos the best