Wellbutrin

Options
Last week my doctor prescribed me 150mg of Wellbutrin. I am so afraid it's going to make me gain weight. Anyone here taking it or has taken it? Any feedback? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I take it and it's been amazing for losing weight. When you feel better, you do better.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I take the same and I find it easier to lose weight with it. Weight loss is one of the side effects. I find that it helps decrease my appetite a bit.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is known to help with weight loss, it works differently than other antidepressants. Before chantix, wellbutrin was prescribed to help people quit smoking probably as much as it was for depression. Also, I think it's one of the main ingredients in the medication marketed for binge eating disorder. So, it's very unlikely that it would cause you to gain weight.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is one of the few brain meds that doesn't cause weight gain (normally.) Worse case scenario, you may not lose *because of it* but you won't gain *because of it* either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is a little speedy, so it encourages me to move more.
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How long did you have to take it before you noticed it helped you?
  • AniaMania81
    AniaMania81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For depression it kind of evens things out. Not exactly great. I lost 10 pounds in the first two weeks but didn't continue losing after that.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    Last week my doctor prescribed me 150mg of Wellbutrin. I am so afraid it's going to make me gain weight. Anyone here taking it or has taken it? Any feedback? Thanks in advance!

I have lost weight on Wellbutrin and I have gained weight on it. The Wellbutrin had no direct effect on my weight.

Psychoactive drugs CAN interfere with hunger signals in some people which makes them overeat (or undereat). If you turn out to be one of those, just continue to religiously weigh, measure, and log and trust the numbers instead of your feelings.

One good thing about antidepressants is that they can help you feel more in control of your life and more willing to get out there and do things. These are both good things when trying to lose weight or get healthier. I have been on them for 15 years (took a while to find the right one). You will generally feel a placebo effect in about a week or so. Wait 4-6 weeks to determine if it really is helping. If Wellbutrin isn't the right one for you, there are so many more. Each one is a little different and affects the patient differently. Having a committed doctor & therapist to help you navigate this is the best thing.
  • Lynnara
    Lynnara Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was on that years back for mild depression/PMS mood swings. Ended up going off of it as my husband said it made my mood swings worse. Make sure you report any side effects to your doctor.
  • cheshirekat
    cheshirekat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i lost weight when i started welbutrin.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It will not make you gain. In fact it may make you lose. It cuts most ppls appetite. You may experience difficulty sleeping, so you might want to keep a log of how it makes you feel to share with your doctor at the next visit.

I used it to quit smoking. It worked great. The cigarettes tasted like kitty pan leavings. God it's hard not to cuss lol.

The one that put 30 lb on my butt by giving me pregnant levels of appetite was Celexa. I switched to lexapro once I realized what was going on.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Wellbutrin for years along with Prozac. Both do what they are supposed to do which is keep the clinical depression under control. I think their effect on weight is exaggerated -- I've never experienced any effect. What does work is the appropriate treatment of depression. If you are not busy with depression you have brain time to concentrate on "eating right" (whatever that means for you). I find I am less likely to self-medicate with bread and butter if I'm not miserable.
  • purrtuzzi
    purrtuzzi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on lexapro and Xanax. I take lexapro in the morning and then Xanax when it's bad and a half a pill at night to help me sleep. The lexapro has actually helped me cut my cravings and I've been working out and wanting to reach my goals even more. I'm also just such a more positive person, and this is coming right after a nasty break up. (Also, anyone who wants to add me, feel free to ❤)
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I lost 20lbs pretty quickly on wellbutrin (for situational depression). I was about 30lbs overweight at the time. I started it the same time I started MFP. It cut my appetite big time. That effect did wear off after a few months but really helped jumpstart my loss. My mental state also improved instantly which encouraged me to be more positive, energetic and proactive about losing. It was the best thing ever for me at the time.
    I went off of it with no issues and no weight gain later on (with doctor's oversight).
  • newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How long did you have to take it before you noticed an improvement in your mood?

Saffyra wrote: »
    I lost 20lbs pretty quickly on wellbutrin (for situational depression). I was about 30lbs overweight at the time. I started it the same time I started MFP. It cut my appetite big time. That effect did wear off after a few months but really helped jumpstart my loss. My mental state also improved instantly which encouraged me to be more positive, energetic and proactive about losing. It was the best thing ever for me at the time.
    I went off of it with no issues and no weight gain later on (with doctor's oversight).

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My mental health benefits were not instant. It took about 2 or 3 weeks for me to start feeling a bit different. Just in case you are taking it for mental health and not for weight loss or smoking cessation.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My mental health benefits were not instant. It took about 2 or 3 weeks for me to start feeling a bit different. Just in case you are taking it for mental health and not for weight loss or smoking cessation.

Pretty much the same here. Unlike the mood stabilizers I've been on, which can take up to two months...talk about a giant time/mood-suck with the medicine wheel...oy! :dizzy:
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin twice, and one thing I would suggest when you're starting out - take it in the morning. The first time it gave me really anxious dreams and I ended up switching to Cymbalta for years. The second time I switched from Cymbalta to Wellbutrin and for a while I just couldn't go to sleep if I took it right before bed. I noticed the "speedy" feeling as someone else put it about two weeks after starting it. Since the main reason for switching was that I was tired all the time, sleeping a lot, etc., that was the change we were looking for and it evened out in time.

I didn't connect it at the time, but it was shortly after I started on Wellbutrin that I started losing weight, mainly because I had the energy to think about cooking food at home and planning ahead instead of eating fast food and skipping meals half the time. I've lost 40 lbs and working on the more stubborn next 30. So I wouldn't worry, like everyone else said.
  • arrghmatey1
    arrghmatey1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin was offered to me by my doctor six months ago to help me loose weight and I weighed 317.6lbs.
    I took it for a week and got very little sleep.
    Felt like an impulsive squirrel... stopped taking it immediately.
    Six months later I weigh 252.4 lbs.
    Tightened up on logging and MADE time to meal prep.
    Sometimes the old ways are the best ... My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • lisaclark2279
    lisaclark2279 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doc prescribed it to mitigate the effects of Hashimoto's (my thyroid levels are in the normal range, but I still have all the symptoms). I noticed a big difference in my symptoms (including weight loss) the first 6 months or so, but then they tapered off. I am on the lowest dose and have been for 1 1/2 years. I want to ask my doc to up my dose, but I also don't want to rely on a medication I don't actually need to use for the intended purpose (though there may be some depression in the mix but my doctor and therapist have never recommended meds specifically for depression). Another problem is my doctor for the past 10 years is moving 4 hours away so now I have to find a new doc that is willing to even prescribe the Wellbutrin for non-depression related reasons...