Wellbutrin

Options
2»

Replies

• newwed412
    newwed412 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am not taking for weight loss as I have already lost 45 pounds and only have about 5 pounds left to lose. I am taking it because of depression/anxiety. A few years ago I took some medicine for the same thing and it made me gain weight rapidly. I was hesitant to take anything again for fear I would gain weight after I worked so hard on my own without any medication. But my anxiety has gotten so bad that I need something to help with that.
    Wellbutrin was offered to me by my doctor six months ago to help me loose weight and I weighed 317.6lbs.
    I took it for a week and got very little sleep.
    Felt like an impulsive squirrel... stopped taking it immediately.
    Six months later I weigh 252.4 lbs.
    Tightened up on logging and MADE time to meal prep.
    Sometimes the old ways are the best ... My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I am not taking for weight loss as I have already lost 45 pounds and only have about 5 pounds left to lose. I am taking it because of depression/anxiety. A few years ago I took some medicine for the same thing and it made me gain weight rapidly. I was hesitant to take anything again for fear I would gain weight after I worked so hard on my own without any medication. But my anxiety has gotten so bad that I need something to help with that.
    Wellbutrin was offered to me by my doctor six months ago to help me loose weight and I weighed 317.6lbs.
    I took it for a week and got very little sleep.
    Felt like an impulsive squirrel... stopped taking it immediately.
    Six months later I weigh 252.4 lbs.
    Tightened up on logging and MADE time to meal prep.
    Sometimes the old ways are the best ... My opinion is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just remember that no medication will "make" you gain weight (other than things like steroids that cause water retention). You gain weight when you eat more than you burn. Antidepressants are not known for lowering the metabolism. Some of them ARE known for affecting the hunger signals to the brain making people eat more. Since you have already been losing, you know how to eat. I assume you have been weighing, measuring, and logging. Trust the numbers, not hunger signals and you will be fine.
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Doc prescribed it for depression. When he said it'll also help with weight loss in some ppl I got excited. I honestly didn't lose any weight. My appetite didn't decrease. What did happen was my mood turned into rage. I would get upset/bothered by just about any and everything. I stopped using it. I was on it for about 2 months. Funny as I used it a year prior and quit because of the anger mood, forgot about that, tried it again, same thing. So no Wellbutrin for me.
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    pageohana6 wrote: »
    Doc prescribed it for depression. When he said it'll also help with weight loss in some ppl I got excited. I honestly didn't lose any weight. My appetite didn't decrease. What did happen was my mood turned into rage. I would get upset/bothered by just about any and everything. I stopped using it. I was on it for about 2 months. Funny as I used it a year prior and quit because of the anger mood, forgot about that, tried it again, same thing. So no Wellbutrin for me.

I experienced similar symptoms. It made my depression and anxiety way worse. I was unable to control my moods at all... uncontrollable crying at the drop of a hat and actually had suicidal thoughts.. like a plan in my head and everything. So scary I stopped it immediately. I never lost any weight but didn't really have any to lose at the time either and was only on it for about a month. I was in a terrible relationship at the time and it was the source of all my depression and anxiety. Haven't needed anything since I left :). Pay close attention to how you are feeling both mentally and physically... and get to the doctor immediately if anything seems off. You know your body best!