Low carb/keto food?

Options
Spiegelchan
Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a low-carb (or specifically keto) diet they want to share?

ul0ijro74hpl.png

Today was a little (*cough*) more excessive on the carbs than usual (day before grocery shopping, and I admit I kinda gave up and just had pasta), but not that much. I have a lot of trouble getting it below 40%, when even tomatoes and peppers and berries count towards my carbs. Does anyone have suggestions for high-fat fruits and vegetables besides avocados? Any favourite recipes (that don't involve bacon or cheese)?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Salmon with greens (cooked in butter or oil).

Omelettes made with whole eggs, mushrooms, Peppers, greens, spinach, cooked in oil, topped with avo.

Fruit and vegies are predominantly carb based, with the exception of avos. There are obviously higher carb options, and lower carb options. People doing keto tend to do net carbs, so including fibrous options is your best best.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are usually a few LCHF recipe threads going at any time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

If you want to go keto LCHF, you'll need to restrict fruit and veggies somewhat. A low carb diet is under 100-150g of (total) carbs per day, and a ketogenic diet is usually under 20-50g of carbs per day.

Avocados, olives, seeds and nuts are all high in fat and lower in carbs, but too much will raise your carbs above ketogenic levels. The same goes for low carb (and low fat) veggies like greens, broccoli, cucumbers, celery and such.

You may want to increase fatty meats and eggs.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are struggleing that much to keep carbs low, maybe low carbs isn't your thing? Why are you doing it?
  • brandi9172
    brandi9172 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Last night I ate grilled brats and roasted broccoli. For breakfast I had a fat ribeye and scrambled eggs. I didn't eat lunch but snacked on some pork rinds at a baby shower so I didn't eat the desserts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I basically eat low carb (not super low), and I rarely log, but the basics of my usual eating pattern are:

2 egg omelet with lots of vegetables, some feta cheese, and either smoked salmon or cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt on the side.

Salad with lots of extra vegetables and protein on it, often I have nuts or seeds or olives on the salad, I make my own dressing with olive oil and vinegar or some other combination that has some fat in it. (I sometimes have leftovers from a dinner for lunch instead.)

Dinner -- meat (fish is often the meat I use), and lots of vegetables on the side. I accent it with some kind of sauce or guac or just avocado or olives or seeds or nut, and I cook with olive oil (or some other sort of fat).

Dessert: greek yogurt with nut butter or cheese or fruit.

I would agree that if you are finding it that hard it might not be for you, and would say that the best thing might be to gradually increase portions of less carby things and decrease portions of more carby things (or substitute in -- non starchy veg for starches, for example, but make up the calories if yours are already low -- adding more fat does that easily).