Visibility of weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• PatanjaliTwist
    PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It depends on how observant you are and what are your expectations to notice "visibly".

This is a good point & particularly with other people noticing. Especially in our PC culture of today, I wouldn't dare comment on someone's weight loss, especially in a work situation, lest I get screamed at for body shaming or some such ridiculousness. So, others may notice, but not say so.

Alternatively, when I was doing my own home renovations for a few years, I was skinny but wearing old, loose clothing, most of it an ex-bf's clothes. So, when running errands, I was just wearing those junky, paint stained clothes. Whenever I went out in normal clothing, someone (cashiers, bank tellers, neighbors) would comment that I'd lost a lot of weight.

I hadn't, but after the 100th time, it did get annoying that people felt the need to continually critique my appearance. I never got gnarly over it, but honestly had to hold my tongue a few times. Others are more reserved & may notice someone's weight loss, but not say so for fear of their reaction... it can be a bit dicey.

Unless a person commented on their weight loss first, I'd never say I'd noticed & even then, I'd only comment that they looked great, not that they lost weight.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it but I am down from size 18 to 12 and everyone else sees it. So I think it is a lot about your mental image of yourself. 33 lbs lost so far.
  • PatanjaliTwist
    PatanjaliTwist Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I don't really see it but I am down from size 18 to 12 and everyone else sees it. So I think it is a lot about your mental image of yourself. 33 lbs lost so far.

That's wonderful, congrats! I think we're the last to see it, since we see ourselves daily & weight loss is generally gradual. With others, they're not attached to any outcome we may have... so, they notice more gradual changes... differences in weight, color changes in clothing, hairstyles.

18 to 12 is an amazing achievement!
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i was 200 lbs, and i have lost about 24 so far. it took at least 10 before i could see anything. these past 10, i don't notice a difference at all.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I noticed with my first 5lbs, after I went down a size in t-shirts and was able to wear some clothes I'd been given as a gift without looking stupid.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I noticed it in my face first. I'd lost about 20 lbs
  • kincharles
    kincharles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I noticed it in my face at around 15lbs lost, lately I have noticed that the flab covering my biceps has melted away a bit and I can actually see some muscle definition (not cut or anything, but I can see the muscle there rather than the fat). Clothes that used to fit 'comfortable' now are visibly too large (XL t-shirts now hit my thigh rather than my waist). I still see my stomach being too flabby, but I have quite a bit of weight to go so I expect that to stick around for a while. Other people started noticing at about 10lbs lost, even though I wasn't really seeing it.
  • Cute_White_Pink_Purple_Foxxx
    Options
    I always notice my weight loss around my face/neck/and unfortunately chest area first. I'm pear-shaped, so the weight on my lower half is the most stubborn. However, I can usually tell a noticeable difference even in my lower half around 10 lbs or so. For the face and upper body, like 3 lbs.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is actually a bit depressing right now. I know because I have a lot to lose, it's going to take me longer to see any visible results. Still, I'd like to see something. I've gone down about 3 pants sizes, but when I catch a glimpse in the mirror I still look the same as I always did to me. I can't see a difference in pictures either.
  • natashab61
    natashab61 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »
    This is actually a bit depressing right now. I know because I have a lot to lose, it's going to take me longer to see any visible results. Still, I'd like to see something. I've gone down about 3 pants sizes, but when I catch a glimpse in the mirror I still look the same as I always did to me. I can't see a difference in pictures either.

3 pants sizes is AMAZING. YOU GOT THIS GIRL! keep working hard and maybe talk to yourself. Listen to your self. It sounds like you are losing weight but might be miserable (that's just what I gathered....if I am wrong sorry). Try and have an honest conversation with yourself if you prefer write a letter to yourself. And express how you feel. Identify those feelings and see how you can start to appreciate your efforts. This is very important
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I didnt notice until i had lost 16lbs
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I watch for changes in my dewlaps, wattles, jowls and panniculus. ;-)
  • kincharles
    kincharles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lucypstacy wrote: »

The fact you have gone down 3 pant sizes is your trophy - don't worry about the physical looks, I am sure other people notice even if your eyes don't tell you. Just today someone who I saw just 2 weeks ago came up to me and asked if I had lost weight - even though it had only been 2 weeks and I don't see a difference myself at the moment; I did, in fact, lose about 5 lbs but didn't think it was showing. I have also dropped from a 42+ waist to 38ish (I wore jeans (size 40) today that used to fit tight, almost to the point of being uncomfortable, and I noticed that not only were they comfortably loose but I had to cinch my belt tighter and there was a very visible gap between my waist and the un belted bants).

Keep going and remember that your eyes might take a bit to catch up to the changes in your body - we have very specific views of ourselfs inside our brains, change can be hard to see.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 25lbs since I started and my pants are more roomy but I have not needed to drop size yet. Now my shirts are getting pretty baggy. My face, neck, and legs all look much better.

It all depends on the person and where they want to lose the weight from. Your eye is drawn to areas that you want better first. I want my gut to be smaller. So I see myself in mirror and think "I still do not see change" when in reality I lost 25lbs...of course there is change.

Oh and the other thing is you and people you see everyday don't notice because they see you everyday. Take photos and tape for a more objective look at visual changes.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    5-10 lbs for me
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Others around me noticed my loss around 10 pounds and commeted. I couldn't see any difference on myself until around 15pounds.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I've lost around 25lbs since I started and my pants are more roomy but I have not needed to drop size yet. Now my shirts are getting pretty baggy. My face, neck, and legs all look much better.

It all depends on the person and where they want to lose the weight from. Your eye is drawn to areas that you want better first. I want my gut to be smaller. So I see myself in mirror and think "I still do not see change" when in reality I lost 25lbs...of course there is change.

Oh and the other thing is you and people you see everyday don't notice because they see you everyday. Take photos and tape for a more objective look at visual changes.

I've dropped about 23 lbs....and my 'ok' jeans are now my loose jeans. I have 4 or 5 pairs of jeans that are 2 sizes smaller and I haven't lost nearly enough to fit into those (40inch waist jeans, looking to fit into 36 inch jeans...)

I tried to drop 1 size smaller in my shirts and I looked ridiculous :( oh well...
  • Fitblkorchid
    Fitblkorchid Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have lost 5 pounds and I haven't noticed anything except for in my face. Someone who I havent seen I an while said I lost weight but I don't see it. I see my abs tightening and I feel stronger but I still haven't noticed much.