Suggest some high protein foods for lunch boxes and snacks.

I'm decreasing fat and sodium, so will be swapping out deli chicken for something else...any suggestions?

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    If you like chicken and deli chicken has too much sodium how about precooking at home a batch of chicken breast and using those?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    For snacks and portability you will see more salt (preservation) and fat (protein often comes with fat).

That being said, try:
    Tuna packed in water
    Hard boiled egg
    Greek yogurt
    Edamame
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Almonds
    Make snack bags of 23 almonds each which makes a serving (in case you don't have a food scale).
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I eat tuna (but if you are watching your sodium, as I am, look for "no salt added".)

I also carry unsalted roasted almonds as a snack. 8 almonds mind morning, and I am good.
  • healthyrich50
    healthyrich50 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2017
    Thank you all so much--great suggestions. I'm not much of a cook, but can probably get one good chicken recipe to perfect. The almonds and hard boiled eggs are also good ideas for portability. Thanks, again!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Almonds
    Make snack bags of 23 almonds each which makes a serving (in case you don't have a food scale).

Make sure to log the ones you eat when counting out 23 almonds.

Black beans,Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, canned tuna -- there are lots of great options. But I agree, if you really like chicken, just grill a bunch and pack it for the week.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I use tuna, cheese, and hard boiled eggs. As mentioned above check labels on things for the sodium.
    I eat low sodium and still manage a lot of cheese.