Stronglifts Workout Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I begin Stronglifts on Tuesday. Never did strength training. What kind of weight should I start with? Purchased a basic weight bench and 100 pound weight set for home use. Please advise.
  • walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry...female 56/160/5'7"
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you use the app - it starts you out at bare bones based on what equipment you have.

45 lb bar - then that's minimum if you answer the questions right on setup.
    30 lb bar - there you go.

Use the lighter weight to confirm form. Make it 10 reps if really easy, that'll imprint form very well before you have to start knocking reps off to keep increasing weight.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Depending on what bar you have, most people don't have a 45lb for home use which is what the app will start you on, so you will need to calculate the weights correctly, I know mine is only 20lb so you will need to add weights to start with the minimum.

You will struggle with the programme very quickly if you don't have some sort of squat rack/Stand as well.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    When asked about a beginning Barbell program I recommend Starting Strength. Mark Rippetoe is a coach and supports his product through free videos and books and a constant online presence. Heck, one can become a certified Starting Steve coach. StrongLifts doesn't do that. With the neophytes I coach, we do Starting Strength not Strong Lifts.

Also, there is a Starting Strength app to document and plan your training.

just curious why SS vs SL?

Also because SS is an original program and SL is derivative of SS.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    just curious why SS vs SL?

Also because SS is an original program and SL is derivative of SS.

. . . which is also a derivative of Bill Starr's 5x5 program. :)

Rip gives full credit to Starr for being 1 of the 1st people to develop a progressive lifting program and even sells Starr's book on his website, which is where I got it.

I hit a plateau in all 4 major compound lifts recently and instead of going with 5/3/1 or another intermediate variant, I start using Starr's 5x5 lifting routine which uses 5 increasingly heavy 5 rep sets ending w/the max wt for the day in the 5th set.

I'm just increasing each of the weights for the 5 sets incrementally each session to lift progressively more weight, which is helping me break thru the plateau in each lift

Speaking of novice training, however, some people may find using Starr's method more effective than the constant weight approach of SL 5X5 or the 3x5 approach of SS, both of which I have done b4.