Slimming World (SW)

Options
tropiz9
tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
edited June 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi peeps,

I would love to know what your views and thought of SW?

I've tired SW for first time last 2 week ago! and seem nothing working at all and only lose 2lbs in first week then put 1lbs on in second week! They say can eat lot of potato, rice, bread and fruits as free... really?! Some people lost loads in first week and a month too! It must working for them but NOT for me! Am not sure if should I continue on SW or just find different diet working for me lose weight.

Anyone - have you lose weight on SW in the past or now? :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Any diet works if you follow it and are in calorie deficit. If you aren't losing weight, it's usually because you're not in a calorie deficit. Also if you just started exercising, weight GAIN is usually not uncommon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when i did slimming world years and years ago.

I was a volume eater. Unlimited carbs didnt work for me as i wasnt in a deficit

I now weigh and log everything i eat to ensure i meet the goal set for me by mfp and it works for me
  • tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Unlimited carbs and some fruits. They not working for me well. It's high sugar and carb in these and I can't eat carb all the time to lose weight. Am not sure how it working like that?!... Good, keep going and how much you have lost in first time from MFP?
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used it for about 5 months when I was initially trying to drop weight 5 years ago - I dropped the first 17kg out of an eventual 25kg. I've kept it off for 5 years and counting...however, I used it more as a way to keep myself accountable than taking their plans as gospel. I already had a pretty good understanding of nutrition and what I needed to do to lose the weight - until that point I just hadn't wanted lose weight more than I wanted cake and pizza! I used the 'red' high protein/low carb plan (not sure if they have this system anymore), and just tried to focus on eating lean meats and lots of nutrient dense veggies. Hated the term 'syns' (not exactly a ringing endorsement for a healthy relationship with food) but I'd say it helped me become more mindful of more calorie-dense foods, and to learn to enjoy things in moderation. So yeah, it can be successful.

Unless you really enjoy going to a group and you think that will help you to stay accountable, I'd personally say that logging meticulously with MFP and using the forums for guidance is probably going to save you money, get you to where you want to be, and help you get into healthy habits that you are more likely to maintain. Good luck :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I mean, 2lbs in 2 weeks is fine. Weight will naturally fluctuate.

But free anything can reduce or eliminate a deficit and in the worst case scenario, lead to gain.
  • galley0730
    galley0730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Free does not mean unlimited!!!!!!! If your consultant is advocating for eating unlimited pasta/rice/potatoes, it's not the group for you.
    1/3 minimum of your plate should contain 'speed' food...fruit or veg. Plate that first, then add protein, then carbs. The speed replaces the volume of everything else that's easy to overeat. Do this for every meal, and you'll have better losses.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    galley0730 wrote: »
    Free does not mean unlimited!!!!!!! If your consultant is advocating for eating unlimited pasta/rice/potatoes, it's not the group for you.
    1/3 minimum of your plate should contain 'speed' food...fruit or veg. Plate that first, then add protein, then carbs. The speed replaces the volume of everything else that's easy to overeat. Do this for every meal, and you'll have better losses.

Nearly all leaders preech unlimited.....

That's why I can't do these programs that give unlimited anything, for me when the leaders say unlimited I take them at their word and I gain.
  • EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
  • Xx_Christie_xX
    Xx_Christie_xX Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I lost 17lbs on Sw and started to plateau so came back to MFP - SW drives you to lower calorie foods therefore you can eat more and still loose weight , it's good if you don't want to count everything you eat.
  • galley0730
    galley0730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Nearly all leaders preech unlimited.....[/quote]

Mine doesn't. And if you read the SW materials, that doesn't either...it emphasises that at least 1/3 of your plate should be speed fruit or veg.
  • EllieGodfreyWelch
    EllieGodfreyWelch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Im doing slimming world too if you want to add me we could compare daily diaries and share idead xcx Ellie xc