Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Options
TheMoon26
TheMoon26 Posts: 1 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hey i see so many posts about people having surgery to lose weight. Where are all the people who actually struggled and lost weight on their own? I need tips and inspiration.

Replies

• mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure surgery is the "easy way out". Even in the Western World surgery is not without risk and danger, then of course there's recovery.

I haven't had surgery to lose weight. I just use this app to calorie count, and I upped my exercise regime. I drink more water and see this as a long haul for permenant lifestyle change not a diet. I would like to lose a few more lbs. In the last 10 months I've lost 30lbs. The weight is coming off really slowly now. It's seldom I lose more than 3lb in a month it's nearer 2lb per month. But I don't want to eat any less than I am now and I can still have the odd treat at my current deficit. The weight is still coming off and the slower it comes off the more chance I have at keeping it off.

But to be completely honest dress size means more to me now. I'm currently size 12 - 14 UK size, but would like to be size 10 - 12 UK size. I'm still building muscle which is obviously heavier than fat so I'm sure I've lost more than 30lb of fat but have toned up nicely. That's why size means more to me than weight. I don't mind how I get there whether it be by losing fat or toning muscle, as long as I get there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would say the majority of people on this site have not had weight loss surgery. Look around the site some more.
    Weight loss surgery or just diet adjustment and activity adjustment are all work. Losing and keeping the weight off is not easy.
    I would not choose surgery because to me it sounds the more difficult and risky choice.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    This is gonna be good.
  • Coloradan1
    Coloradan1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    So, I was chubby all throughout highschool, and tried every way possible to lose weight. Pills, crash diets, everything. Eventually I came to realize the ONLY way I was going to get healthy was if I was to change my entire lifestyle. I lost 31.5 lbs in 5 months, and began bodybuilding. I used myfitnesspal to count my calories and adhered to it religiously, along with lifting and cardio 6 days a week, to lose the weight. I still eat very healthily and count my calories. It's been three years, and I've kept the fat off but have gained back half the weight in muscle mass. I look and feel better than I ever have before, and allow myself some leeway in my diet once or twice a week. It took about 12 weeks of strict diet and exercise to see any visible changes, but I have no regrets. I get people who don't even recognize me since I made the change, because I'm infinitely leaner and much more muscular than I was. I found a supportive family in the local gym, who always hold me accountable and help me stay on track. I wish you the best of luck on your fitness journey! Don't listen to the negative people on this forum. Find what works for you in diet and exercise, and stick with it. No one can make the change but you.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    There are many of us here who didn't have surgery, although perhaps a large number of us wouldn't have qualified anyway. Check out the Success Stories forum.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    WTH? If all you are seeing are posts from people who had surgery, you must be specifically seeking them out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would say the vast majority of people here lost weight without surgery. Not sure where you're seeing tons of posts or people using surgery...definitely in the minority.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would opine that surgery might be the lazy way, but not necessarily the easy way.
    Most people I know who had WLS simply did not understand how hard it would be until after the surgery.
    Those were the people looking for a magic bullet to do the work for them.
    Some kept the weight off, but most of those people did not.

I hear the procedures have changed so YMMV.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs over the course of the past couple years and have maintained that loss and continue to slowly lose the rest - all without surgery. I agree with the others - most people who post here did not have weight loss surgery, we simply count calories, and it works.

It sounds like you are zeroing in on the WLS posts for some reason - there are tips and inspiration for weight reduction through calorie counting all over this discussion board - continue reading and you will find them. But don't dismiss people who had WLS, they may have ideas that can help you too. Many of them have lost an amazing amount of weight and had to lose a significant amount before they even had the surgery in order to get approved - their accomplishments are equally worthy of respect.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have relatives who had WLS. It is not necessarily easy. Some of the struggles after having WLS are exactly the same as losing weight without surgery, some are different. No need to downplay the accomplishments of people who had surgery. We all make our own choices about the approach to weight loss that's best for us.

If you have a lot of weight to lose and are just looking for people to support you, try the group "100+ pounds with no surgery." However, the point of the group isn't to disrespect people who did have surgery, only to support those who can't or don't wish to have WLS.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole me with hard work and perseverance. Losing is easy. Maintenance is hard.