Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SnackHips wrote: »
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I genuinely can't see how an extended surgical procedure followed by extensive aftercare and a rigid eating plan is easier than eating slightly less....
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

You only weigh 160lbs and you're getting WLS??

This is what I was going to say. What kind of doctor would perform surgery on someone who is 160 lbs who has only been this weight for a short period of time?
  • SnackHips
    Options
    I have been
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You only weigh 160lbs and you're getting WLS??

This is what I was going to say. What kind of doctor would perform surgery on someone who is 160 lbs who has only been this weight for a short period of time?

Fighting at this weight for 7 years now. The point of the surgery is to help me get past the initial weight loss without going crazy like I have been. I am great at meal prep and better at exercising but I can't stay on track long enough for real success. Just gaining and losing 10lbs every few months and I can't take it mentally anymore. 160 is 30 bmi for me. That is obese.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think many informed people deliberately take easy way out and there is nothing wrong with that. I looked into surgery, felt restricting the kinds of food I can eat for life would be too hard and that relearning portions would be easier, so that's what I did, went for the more pleasant solution. It's not 100% effortless (almost nothing is), but it sure beats not ever being able to eat bread without consequences.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fighting at this weight for 7 years now. The point of the surgery is to help me get past the initial weight loss without going crazy like I have been. I am great at meal prep and better at exercising but I can't stay on track long enough for real success. Just gaining and losing 10lbs every few months and I can't take it mentally anymore. 160 is 30 bmi for me. That is obese.
    If you are too lazy and undisciplined to "stay on track" now, why do you think you will magically be able to do so after an invasive medical procedure?!

Stop making excuses & quit eating more than you need.

There. I just saved you a few thousand dollars and a lot of misery.
    If you cannot do it consistently then you are not "great" at it like you claim.

It is posts like yours that make some people think WLS is the "easy way" and others to look down on people who might actually need it.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    If you are too lazy and undisciplined to "stay on track" now, why do you think you will magically be able to do so after an invasive medical procedure?!

Stop making excuses & eating more than you need.

There. I just saved you a few thousand dollars and a lot of misery.

Thanks but sometimes it isn't a person being stupid and lazy. There are actual physical and mental issues that require medical intervention. To include surgery and counseling. Too many people just struggle all of their lives because they are made to feel pathetic for not being able to succeed the same way everyone else does. Sorry, my life is too short to be ashamed of getting help.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks but sometimes it isn't a person being stupid and lazy. There are actual physical and mental issues that require medical intervention. To include surgery and counseling. Too many people just struggle all of their lives because they are made to feel pathetic for not being able to succeed the same way everyone else does. Sorry, my life is too short to be ashamed of getting help.
    Sorry, invasive stomach surgery is not going to solve a mental health issue.

You are 160lbs, not 260 lbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    drs are only supposed to do the surgery if you are 100+lbs overweight/and have a health issue from being obese that could kill you. since you are not, any dr that does this surgery should have his licensed revoked
  • Fitness_and_FODMAP
    Fitness_and_FODMAP Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think your attitude to people who have had weight loss surgery is part of your problem ... It is far from the easy way out ... !!

I lost weight by eating better and exercising, but I would never dream of accusing a person who took the surgical route as taking the easy way out ... my advise to you, as a person who lost weight without surgery is change your attitude and that way you'll change your success - being judgmental is doing no one any favours, least of you, especially as you're the one asking for advice here
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I saw a programme the other week regarding weight loss surgery. A bariatric consultant in one of the top London hospitals was appalled that WLS was not being done as much as it should be. It has been dropping in the UK over the last few years.

He was saying that more should be done because as soon as a gastric bypass has been done blood sugars start to return to a normal levels in patients with diabetes. This is before weight loss has even started. He is convinced that more surgery should be performed as it will save the NHS millions by reducing long term treatments for diabetes.

I had no idea that this happened within 24 to 36 hours post surgery.

Surely this alone is a good reason for morbidly obese people to have surgery. Diabetes is a killer and if WLS stops this and gives people a healthy life into the future then we should support people who elect to have this surgery.

I know it is not for everyone and it certainly is not an easy option and some people do manage to fail to lose the weight. However a lot do succeed and to we should not say they took the easy option. They did what was right for them. The same way that you are doing what is right for you OP
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    This is the one and only thing the OP has posted. I hate people who start threads like this and magically disappear. :s
  • SnackHips
    Options

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.
  • edjtmjaej
    edjtmjaej Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is not the easy way out.......
  • Xchubby
    Xchubby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i was nearly 360 lbs.i lost 180 lbs . i dont regret a thing. I finally started to see food and sport not as punishment. i turned my life around. i had WLS in 2012.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Sorry, the meds, in and of themselves, do NOT cause you to gain weight. Most depression medications that list weight gain as a potential side effect do so because it may increase your appetite. It's still up to you what you do or don't eat. You are not a victim of unexplained weight gain.

Not meaning to sound harsh, but sometimes losing the victim mentality and discovering that you actually DO have control over it can be all that's needed to rise above and succeed. :)