Standing Ab Exercises

Options
Are there any exercises I can do standing up that would work my abs? My right hip at the joint always rubs and pops when I do certain ab exercises lying on the floor. Like if I do bicycles or movements like that my hip joint rubs and I can hear it. Isn't painful but after 5 reps I have to stop cause it can get tiring of it rubbing/popping rep after rep. It's uncomfortable but no pain. Isn't a new problem it's been like this my entire life. I'm getting results on arms and legs but because I'm not doing many ab exercises that area is lacking. Thanks!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Standing cable crunches burn like hell, and seem to work fine. I still prefer than ab wheel with a weight vest though.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Lying ab exercises don't need to engage the hip. You don't need to raise your lower back off the floor at all to work the abs, in fact. Look for "ab crunches" on youtube.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Leg lifts. Find a dip stand at the gym. Rest your forearms on handles so that you can take your body weight on your arms/shoulders and then lift your legs (straight legs are harder, knees bent at a 90 degree angle are easier).

Alternatively, don't do bicycles. Do straight leg lifts while lying on the ground to target the lower abs and add side crunches with no leg movement to get the upper abs/obliques.

You can also target your obliques by doing standing 'choo-choos'. Stand in a wide stance with your knees slightly bent. Clasp your hands behind your head so your elbows are out to the side. Twist/bend your torso to bring your elbow as close as possible to the opposite knee (that is, left elbow to right knee and vice versa) - it doesn't have to touch. Alternate each side (one rep is one left twist and one right twist) at a moderate pace (the choo choo name comes from the noise your breathing will make while doing the exercise).
  • boymom121
    boymom121 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Leg lifts. Find a dip stand at the gym. Rest your forearms on handles so that you can take your body weight on your arms/shoulders and then lift your legs (straight legs are harder, knees bent at a 90 degree angle are easier).

Alternatively, don't do bicycles. Do straight leg lifts while lying on the ground to target the lower abs and add side crunches with no leg movement to get the upper abs/obliques.

You can also target your obliques by doing standing 'choo-choos'. Stand in a wide stance with your knees slightly bent. Clasp your hands behind your head so your elbows are out to the side. Twist/bend your torso to bring your elbow as close as possible to the opposite knee (that is, left elbow to right knee and vice versa) - it doesn't have to touch. Alternate each side (one rep is one left twist and one right twist) at a moderate pace (the choo choo name comes from the noise your breathing will make while doing the exercise).

So the 'choo choos' sound interesting lol. When I twist/bend my torso am I actually bending over to get closer to the knee? And keep feet on floor not raising them?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    boymom121 wrote: »

So the 'choo choos' sound interesting lol. When I twist/bend my torso am I actually bending over to get closer to the knee? And keep feet on floor not raising them?

You got it. Feet on the floor and bend slightly at the waist. When you twist/bend, make sure to work your obliques (that is, use a side crunch motion along with a bend at your waist to help lower your elbow towards your knee). You'll feel it when you do it right. This is the exercise that'll give you those little 'finger' ridges along the sides of your abs.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You might check out DAREBEE.COM, they have a all kinds of suggestions for Ab/core exercises
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Planks.
    Pretty much anything where you are engaging your core to stay balanced. (dancing, yoga, cycling, oftentimes lifting..)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    How does it feel if u do planks, are those acceptable?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Plank, side plank, plank jacks, plank rows(on dumbbells), boat/hollow man, squat and punch...can you do standing knee ups with a crunch? Check out Shaun T's hip hop abs
  • prettypanda1313
    prettypanda1313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking standing ab workout in YouTube. I do a variety from PopSugar Fitness, FitnessBlender, HASfit, Bodyfit by Amy, Bowflex, etc.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Pallof presses
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is holding a weight (I usually do 25lbs) in one hand only. Then walking in an upright posture basically until you start to lose good form. You have to stabilize yourself by engaging your abs....
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Planks/side planks
    Crunches/reverse crunches
    Stomach vaccuums
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't do any ab specific exercises because almost all compound bodyweight exercises and barbell lifts involve the abs in some way and doing pullups, pushups, dips, squats, DLs and OHPs alone have helped me develop the six pack that I never had before.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i like carries. going to the store for two gallons of milk will have you doing them. or, when you're stronger, going to the store for ONE gallon of milk, just so long as you switch hands to give both sides the same kind of workout.

uneven carries have become one of my favourite things. i have a 'snapping' left hip as well and i know what you mean op. it doesn't technically hurt, but it drives me entirely out of my mind.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Granted this is not a standing ab routine. That said, I promise, if you follow the program as indicated, you will build a very strong and slim core...

http://jasonferruggia.com/gymnastic-secret-stronger-abs/
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Pallof presses

These. They looked easy to me. Then I tried them..

It may be worth noting that I don't like ab work. I've never done it consistently, but I recently started incorporating one move at the end of my lifting workouts. This move has stuck. It feels effective without the discomfort of the floor.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I don't do any ab specific exercises because almost all compound bodyweight exercises and barbell lifts involve the abs in some way and doing pullups, pushups, dips, squats, DLs and OHPs alone have helped me develop the six pack that I never had before.

What he said. Most of my abs & core strength came from activities where you are naturally using the abs to stabilize yourself (dancing mostly and later also standing compound lifts)(and of course losing enough weight for them to be visible). Much more so than years ago when I used to go to the body conditioning class at the gym twice a week (where they had you doing a bunch of lying ab exercises).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Plank

Start laying on the floor
    1. bring your hands under your shoulders, while remaining relaxed
    2. begin to tense your body, starting with your toes, and working up through the legs, glutes, back/abs, and when you get to the shoulders, bring the tension through your arms, straightening them as you introduce tension. when you rise your body should move up and back slightly towards your toes. Hold for a 15-30 count, then while maintaining tension, return to the floor and relax.

For a more intense sensation, while maintaining tension, lower until your tricep is parallel to your back, hold for a 5-10 count before recovering up to straight arms before lowering to the ground.

NOTE: your neck should remain neutral and relaxed

Easy version, while standing with your arms by your sides, do the tension exercise, except instead of straightening your arms, simply raise them out in front of you.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    It's not standing, but it's one of my favourite. Do a wall sit and tap a medicine ball on the ground in front of you and then raise over head and tap the wall. I usually do 3 or 4 reps of 20.