Is there anyone who didn't take the easy way out?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    SnackHips wrote: »
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

I would hope no surgeon would agree to this procedure for someone wanting to lose and maintain a 10lbs loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm getting it because I cant stick to a deficit for the life of me. I literally have mental breakdowns and have to go on medication when I'm losing weight and the medicine just causes me to gain. I've worked with doctors and nutritionists as well as personal trainers. I've trained and ran half marathons, lifted weights, been involved in multiple sports, cut out processed food, ate this not that, this often that often. Call me stupid or lazy but I've busted butt and gone through tons of emotions without any success. Surgery is a tool to help me with these issues and it is the last hope I have.

if you cant stick to a deficit then you wont lose the weight. I have a neighbor who had WLS and she is gaining the weight back because she is not sticking to a deficit.

It is more of my body maintaining really well. At 120lbs I weighed 120lbs no matter what I did. Then I was on medication and put on 40lbs in two months. Now I'm 160 no matter what I do. If I can get help to get past the maintenance level I can maintain at a new level, but every time I get the first 10lbs off no matter how slowly, it shoots back up in a couple days because my body is determined to maintain. It is part physical part mental, but I'd rather go this route for the assistance than a bunch of pills.

weight fluctuates so you dont have just one weight number. and medications dont make you gain weight,they increase appetite and you eat more or they lower your TDEE/metabolism a bit therefore you need to eat less. if it shoots back up in a couple of days its a fluctuation unless you are eating 3500+ calories over your TDEE those couple of days to gain it back.

This is 3 months to lose 10lbs and one week to gain it. The stuff I was on did both of those things sadly. And as a side note: there are 350lb people with habits far worse than mine and they lose the weight and keep it off with surgery. I have no disillusion about the valuable tool it will be and how to incorporate it into a healthy lifestyle. It will essentially prevent me from binging 3 months of work off before I can reach a healthy weight to maintain. I will still be eating healthy food and working out daily.

I would hope no surgeon would agree to this procedure for someone wanting to lose and maintain a 10lbs loss.

Agreed. I am quite disturbed that there are surgeons out there who would even consider performing surgery on this basis.
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight for most of my life and I've read through articles in magazines and on the news with headlines like "woman loses 30kg" just to discover it was through surgery and felt a bit discouraged and stopped reading it. 4 of my friends have gone through the surgery and although I was happy for them and maybe a little envy I just felt alone that I was going to be doing this on my own. I had thought too it was the easy way out but reading some of the posts on here it's been an eye opener. It wasn't about resenting anybody it was just that feeling of being alone with the battle. It's tough either way, I wish everybody luck which ever way they choose.
  • dillydaisys
    Options
    I might just add that one of my friends didn't qualify for the surgery so she deliberately put weight on (10kg) to qualify
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Agreed. I am quite disturbed that there are surgeons out there who would even consider performing surgery on this basis.

Medical tourism. You can get whatever you like done as long as you are willing to pay for it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

you dont gain it all back in a week unless you are severely overeating and in that case you would weigh more than you do if that was happening. as for it preventing you from binging,you cant say that or rely on that.and eating healthy and exercise doesnt guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit. not to mention once you have the surgery you will have issues with absorbing certain vitamins and minerals and will have to take supplements most likely the rest of your life.
  • SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options

No, I need to lose 40lbs. The 10lbs is all I have been able to manage alone, through healthy eating and daily exercise.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

No, I need to lose 40lbs. The 10lbs is all I have been able to manage alone, through healthy eating and daily exercise.

even with 40lbs to lose wls is not the answer, its for those 100+lb overweight and those with severe health issues from the excess weight. get yourself a food scale. weigh everything and use correct entries and do that and you should lose the weight. I did and I have a metabolic disorder and I still lost weight. its tough for me to lose to if you have problems with bingeing then you need to see someone for that first and foremost.
  • SnackHips
    Options

you dont gain it all back in a week unless you are severely overeating and in that case you would weigh more than you do if that was happening. as for it preventing you from binging,you cant say that or rely on that.and eating healthy and exercise doesnt guarantee weight loss unless you are in a deficit. not to mention once you have the surgery you will have issues with absorbing certain vitamins and minerals and will have to take supplements most likely the rest of your life.

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    And thanks to the people who don't judge and just know it isn't for them. I have exhausted all my options. I don't need to wait 15 years and 100lbs to learn I need medical help to achieve my goals.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Most supplement issues are for bypass not sleeve. It is literally 10lbs of fat in a week. Something gets triggered and my body overproduces hunger hormone and I can't stop eating for days. I've tried fighting it with "will power" and it is much like a heroin addict being tied up next to a pile of the drug. Physical pain and shaking, anxiety, depression, etc. And I'm not talking about oh I deprived myself of so much and I can't take it anymore. I eat balanced meals at appropriate intervals and practice moderation. I go for months with my "healthy lifestyle" then have these breakdowns out of the blue. I don't need to fight like this anymore. And in response to the other person I get that medication does pack on secret magical weight. It does however slow metabolism and increase hunger and couple with pills that relax anxiety enough to make you just happy and not stressed about the struggle anymore those pounds can creep up fast. I'm super happy that people get past this without surgery but I have fought unsuccessfully for years now. Call it dumb, call it lazy, but life is short and I have money and doctors so I'm going to use every tool available to me to figure this out.

its not 10lbs of fat in a week. it doesnt happen that fast unless you are consuming more calories than you burn 3500 calories is a lb. so you would have to be eating 35,000 calories a week or 5000 over maintenance to gain that much fat in a week, I would go to overeaters anonymous then and see if they can help you sort things out. you sound like you have a lot of issues that need worked out mentally as well as physically and any kind of WLS is not going to be the answer. but hey if you want to do it so be it. oh and yeah you still need supplements with the sleeve-http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/bariatric-vitamins.html#By_Procedure
  • SnackHips
    Options

its not 10lbs of fat in a week. it doesnt happen that fast unless you are consuming more calories than you burn 3500 calories is a lb. so you would have to be eating 35,000 calories a week or 5000 over maintenance to gain that much fat in a week, I would go to overeaters anonymous then and see if they can help you sort things out. you sound like you have a lot of issues that need worked out mentally as well as physically and any kind of WLS is not going to be the answer. but hey if you want to do it so be it. oh and yeah you still need supplements with the sleeve-http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/bariatric-vitamins.html#By_Procedure

Yes that much over eating in a week. I understand basic math. If you eat balanced food you rarely need extra supplements since the stomach is still intact unlike bypass. But small price to pay really. I've already began the mental help. It doesn't stop the extreme hunger that keeps me from eating under calorie requirements. I know the crowd thinks they know my exact problem and perfect advice but I've been seeing professionals for this issue for years now. This has been an agreed upon tool towards the solution.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Yes that much over eating in a week. I understand basic math. If you eat balanced food you rarely need extra supplements since the stomach is still intact unlike bypass. But small price to pay really. I've already began the mental help. It doesn't stop the extreme hunger that keeps me from eating under calorie requirements. I know the crowd thinks they know my exact problem and perfect advice but I've been seeing professionals for this issue for years now. This has been an agreed upon tool towards the solution.

even with the surgery hunger cues may still be there. maybe have drs prescribe appetite suppressants? even with a balanced diet you still may need the supplements. but you do whatever you think is going to work because obviously you think its going to be the cure all.
  • dillydaisys
    Options
    Snackhips, at the end of the day it's your body and your health, I'm sure the decision hasn't been made lightly and if it's going to improve your quality of life then all the best of luck to you
  • SnackHips
    Options

even with the surgery hunger cues may still be there. maybe have drs prescribe appetite suppressants? even with a balanced diet you still may need the supplements. but you do whatever you think is going to work because obviously you think its going to be the cure all.

I've done suppressants. It is def not the cure all but it does reduce the amount you can eat as well as remove a lot of the cells that cue hunger hormone production. I don't want to rely on pills. I enjoy healthy eating and exercise I just need a little help.
  • SnackHips
    Options
    Snackhips, at the end of the day it's your body and your health, I'm sure the decision hasn't been made lightly and if it's going to improve your quality of life then all the best of luck to you

Thank you. Honestly it is preventing me from developing severe depression over all of this. When I decided on the surgery it gave me hope for the first time in a very long time. Even that will be incentive enough to get back on the wagon and try harder. If I fail even with surgery I will have to take a lot of pills to avoid suicide.laughs...but seriously.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I don't understand how you think surgery is going to solve these problems though? It won't solve your anxiety, your hunger, your binge eating tendencies, won't negate the need for the medication that you are taking. All it does is get you back to the same point you started at before you gained this weight, so why do you believe you won't be right back here in the short, medium, or long term?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I don't understand how you think surgery is going to solve these problems though? It won't solve your anxiety, your hunger, your binge eating tendencies, won't negate the need for the medication that you are taking. All it does is get you back to the same point you started at before you gained this weight, so why do you believe you won't be right back here in the short, medium, or long term?

A good friend's sister has all sorts of mental health issues, and she got WLS about 8 years ago. Lost some weight, then worked out how to game the system and ended up bigger than ever. It's amazing the stuff you can consume if you're determined to binge, even with the WLS.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I've done suppressants. It is def not the cure all but it does reduce the amount you can eat as well as remove a lot of the cells that cue hunger hormone production. I don't want to rely on pills. I enjoy healthy eating and exercise I just need a little help.

As was stated, the hunger cues might still remain. So what will happen after you have had the surgery, have felt great for a while, but those cues come roaring back? I'm not saying not to have the surgery, but you might want to see a therapist during this process to gain some insight as to why this has occurred before, and what you can do if it comes back. You may get to some root issues that will actually prevent this from happening in the future.

I wish you the best of luck!