**** I HATE DOING DISHES!!! ...(warning: slight rant!)

Options
I hated doing dishes when I was in college! Our dishwasher sucked so we had to do them with our hands. I'm sure some of you can relate; you come into your apartment after a long day..& lo and behold, a giant pile of dishes ...staring at you with a filthy grin. Oh yea they're not going anywhere (you know this), yet you do every possible thing under the sun except washing those dishes. "Might even call your 2nd cousins today"..

Then the inevitable happens.. roaches.. mold.. or maybe not as extreme; it hardens, making the task even more difficult.

So why am I ranting about doing dishes?

It's because while we go down the path on each of our own individual fitness / health journeys.. there might be little habits that we tend avoid. Habits that seem to not mean much on a daily basis but eventually add up and mean a whole lot more in the long run;

E.g.

- not drinking enough water everyday
- Skipping that one exercise you "hate"
- Skimming on sleep and nutritious vegetables
- Forgetting to stretch after exercising

The list goes on..

I really hope we all hold each other accountable, especially to those little habits we may secretly be avoiding.

P.s

I wrote this just after I finished doing dishes after dinner :)...

Add me as a friend and let's continue the discussion

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I would rather go to the dentist than do the dishes and yet I'm stuck doing them almost nightly! I really need to invest in a dishwasher! :D
  • holybadassery
    holybadassery Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yeah i can definitely relate, the worst is cooking oatmeal-- sticks to the pan automatically
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh how many times have I avoided doing a task and once I finally sucked it up and did it turned out not to have been such a big deal after all lol.. if we just get in the habit of doing these things without sulking life gets a little bit more simple.. a little less stressful.. a little bit more enjoyable ...I'm working on this myself
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm forever grateful that the co-op had a dishwasher already installed when I moved in.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I hear you! To avoid dish duty, I used to jump at the chance for a restaurant meal or takeout for dinner, which my family loves. Family style pub fare is no place for a dieting mama! It was my choice to avoid the work, and I paid the price.

One daily goal I stick to is staying streamlined and simplified in the kitchen. I can not give in to takeout temptation when it's in my power to cook or at least organize some healthy leftovers!

And I bought paper plates.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Your post also makes me think, what else am I avoiding...? food for thought.
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Heart_of_a_lion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would rather go to the dentist than do the dishes and yet I'm stuck doing them almost nightly! I really need to invest in a dishwasher! :D

Haha, I heard Samsung makes great dishwashers ;)
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options
    yeah i can definitely relate, the worst is cooking oatmeal-- sticks to the pan automatically

Talk about a pain in the...
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    Oh how many times have I avoided doing a task and once I finally sucked it up and did it turned out not to have been such a big deal after all lol.. if we just get in the habit of doing these things without sulking life gets a little bit more simple.. a little less stressful.. a little bit more enjoyable ...I'm working on this myself

Yup. The world would definitely be a better place if everyone did what they secretly avoided but needed to do
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think folding socks is worse than doing dishes - but then doing those has been a routine for me since growing up, we didn't have a dishwasher
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options
    I'm forever grateful that the co-op had a dishwasher already installed when I moved in.

You're lucky
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options
    Your post also makes me think, what else am I avoiding...? food for thought.

Deep down you know the answer
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten a dishwasher.
    My first dishwasher.
    Ever.
    May I say, I'm sorry. Man, doing dishes sucks. It's so much better now.

Also, I beat my step record yesterday. More time for jogging up hills, less time breaking nails (ergo dishes). :D
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

You're lucky

What I really want is a washer/dryer... going to the laundromat is a PITA.
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options
    I've just gotten a dishwasher.
    My first dishwasher.
    Ever.
    May I say, I'm sorry. Man, doing dishes sucks. It's so much better now.

Also, I beat my step record yesterday. More time for jogging up hills, less time breaking nails (ergo dishes). :D

Haha there you go!
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options

You're lucky

I know the feeling
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

You're lucky

I had to chose once between a place with a dishwasher or a place with a washer/dryer- I ended up doing dishes for 2 years and hating every minute, but still glad I chose the washer/dryer. I hated hauling my clothes to a Laundromat (when I had to).

Now, thank goodness I am lucky enough to have a dishwasher and a washer/dryer :smiley: So much happier lol.
  • Heart_of_a_lion
    Options

You're lucky

I had to chose once between a place with a dishwasher or a place with a washer/dryer- I ended up doing dishes for 2 years and hating every minute, but still glad I chose the washer/dryer. I hated hauling my clothes to a Laundromat (when I had to).

Now, thank goodness I am lucky enough to have a dishwasher and a washer/dryer :smiley: So much happier lol.

Talk about a tough decision! I'd have picked the same
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I just did my dishes. Why do I leave them? Oh cause I hate doing them. But then there's such a sense of accomplishment although I found a stack of plates my boy decided to put just out of sight so more dishes to do....it never ends

Life is hard eh
  • ethandelong
    ethandelong Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil!