Overate the past three days feeling down

Options
I have been tracking and doing pretty good for about a month now. I have been proud of myself as for the first time EVER I am not only doing this but I am writing it down EVERY day instead of just skipping and having it all fall apart. I keep telling myself this is a long haul change its going to take time and I am going to mess up. To not let one day turn into another and another all the while failing completely. I know it may seem like an excuse but my period came and I have been extra hungry and struggling. This weekend the hubby and I drank a bit and I also went over on cals quite a bit Sat and Sun. Today, being Monday (and day one of my cycle) I said I would do better. The morning went well as did lunch. But by evening I was super hungry. I grabbed a payday at the store when picking up items we did not have on hand to complete our dinner (240 cals for a TINY candy bar) ate it anyway. Then went on to have a nice dinner of steak fajitas, beans, and rice. I just feel guilty. I don't want this to turn into a pattern. I KNOW I am in control but man this sucks! I want to do this and do it well.

I have noticed the days I have frozen waffles for breakfast (busier days) I am hungrier than usual the rest of the day. I need to take notes I need to figure this out. I need to get healthy and STICK WITH IT.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post. Especially the part about sticking with it and figuring it out.

Question- did you put everything in your food journal? That's really the process. Weight loss is just sort of the byproduct. Keep going.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! And trust me its no fun logging a few beers lol!
    That's how I handle excess too. I log it and make myself face it as punishment. ;-) Some people only log the good days. At least that's what they tell me.

• jrickert1964
    jrickert1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyday is a new opportunity to succeed and be proud of yourself. Make tomorrow that day.

Also, guilt about eating is a tough emotion for me. If I get the "guilties" they can be closely followed by the "I don't cares. " Yesterday is past. Live today they way you want and be proud of yourself. Really wishing you the best.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Learning what works for ourselves takes time. Its a key to successfully changing how you look at food, your relationship with it and satisfaction you get from it. We cant eat healthily long term if we dont actually like what we are choosing. Also - if we crave or starve it wont work. I appreciate how you figured out the frozen waffles dont hold you- they wouldnt hold me either. I used to think I needed a high protein breakfast and that protein can only come from eggs (mostly whites actually) however there are other sources that also have higher fiber than eggs and that works too. Frozen waffles are too empty - and your body is letting you know.

Take these little bits of learned information and make it work for you. You think you wanted a payday? You may like some sticky nutty protein bars out there- and if they are on hand (in car, in purse, etc) maybe you would choose that and be just as satisfied. Some mixed nuts and raisins may have hit that same crave/spot.

Just keep learning and you will get there!
  • weightforme8134
    weightforme8134 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Every time you choose to put or not put something in your mouth is a new chance. Frozen waffles are highly processed and offer no nutritional value. That's why they don't fill you up. Waste of calories. Make them count. You can have a large plate of egg white. Spinach, salsa for 200 cals. Packed with protein. It will keep you full. How many cals in that waffle?

Stick with it. We all have our yuck days, particularly when on our periods, but this is a journey, we are here for the ride. There will be up and down. Just try to more ups. Hang in there.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had like 5 shots of tequila this weekend and logged them. I was NOT happy about it. lol!!! i feel your pain with the time of the month... that's always worse for me too. Just get back on track! You'll be fine! a few days truly aren't going to hurt you.

I have to reiterate what is said about frozen waffles. they just don't have enough substance to them to fill you up and keep you full. I just made a veggie quiche last night that'll last me two weeks. Gonna pair it with some turkey bacon for a little bit more protein.

Good luck!
  • lrob98
    lrob98 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every new day is a new chance to do better. A few weeks ago, I had a light breakfast (cracker snacks and nonfat low carb Greek yogurt.) The rest of that day, I was feeling hungry. I was munching at my desk after lunch (Mexican chicken salad bowl.) I couldn't understand it. Even after dinner (veggie burger) I was starving. I started snacking again, but then stopped myself. I ended up having two baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, guacamole, and cracker crisps I like.
    I felt a sudden "ahhhh" as I FINALLY felt satisfied. I stayed under calories, but when I reviewed macros, I noticed my fat intake was waaay lower than usual. The guac at "second dinner" helped I think. So now my quickie go to is an English muffin, peanut butter, and nonfat normal carb Greek yogurt. And I'm satisfied after breakfast.
    Frozen waffles alone aren't satisfying, as previous posters have mentioned. Need to have a more balanced breakfast (protein, good fat.) Having the munchies all day won't help.
    Good luck to you!
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't let a day or 2 throw you off. As long as the trend is to eat fewer cals then it will happen! Slowly does it, but don't ever give up! I'm struggling too, but not allowing myself to carry bad habits or feelings into the next day.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Accept the fact that there are going to be good days and bad days. In the end, if the good days outnumber the bad days, you will lose. Keep your eye on the prize. It's all mental. I'm right there in the struggle, too, but this time around I have realized that I don't have to have a perfect calorie day every single day. In the long run, as long as I'm trying my best, I'll lose. Nobody is perfect so don't beat yourself up.
  • weightforme8134
    weightforme8134 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love all of these responses so much. Seriously helpful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Keep in mind that your calorie target is a weight loss target, not maintenance...in many cases, when one goes over, they are still in a deficit...just a smaller one.

I've been at this whole good livin' things for going on 5 years...I've had quite a few of those days and I'm no worse for the wear...
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Good for you for writing it all down. We all have days like that. As long as they don't become habit you'll be ok and seems you are doing great already