Don't Eat Foods You Don't Like

Options
I've put myself on countless diets. I finally learned that I can lose weight eating healthy foods I like instead of healthy foods I don't. I made the mistake of putting a can of tuna and chicken breasts (on George Foreman grill) on every one of my diet plans.

Foods I Like and Could Eat Every Day:
Grapefruit (1/2)
Strawberries (8 medium)
Blackberries (half cup)
Salmon (8 ounces)
Peel and eat shrimp (12 to 18)
Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt
PB2
Water

Replies

• papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I once tried to jump onto the Greek yogurt wagon, but ended up falling off. I was so frustrated that I didn't like it, that I gave up eating yogurt all together. It took awhile, but I finally learned from my naive thinking and switched back to regular yogurt. It's definitely a lot easier to eat what you like instead of forcing down foods that you don't particularly care for!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    You can keep the grapefruit and the shrimp. I would trade you for the chicken breast, which I would marinate or dry rub before grilling. I also like tuna and eat real peanut butter instead of powdered. Yesterday I ate a fried green tomato for lunch, which many people think of as an old-fashioned or folksy food. Their loss; more for me.
    You have to eat what you like or no diet is sustainable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love green tomatoes, although I probably don't make them in the right way, since I didn't grow up eating them.

Anyway, agree completely, OP -- no reason to eat foods you don't like. I like quite a variety of foods, so why would I make myself eat things I cannot stand, like canned tuna. I don't mind skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked well, but I don't love it that much, and usually prefer chicken breast with skin or thighs and legs or other meats, so I include them freely.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I suggest you take it a step further and don't refer to foods as 'healthy'. Food is just food. Eat what you enjoy as long as it fits in your plan.

Good luck.

We'll, not all food is nutritionally equal. It's important to make sure you're eating foods that supply the nutrients your body needs. The foods OP listed are nutrient-dense, which is a good start.

It is also important to not dwell on 'healthy' or 'bad' foods. Like I said before, if it fits your plan (as in doesn't put you over your calories and allows you to get close to your macros for the day). For example, no one will say that the chocolate ice cream I am going to have later is 'healthy'. But I have over a 1000 calories left today (long run today) and I have every intention of enjoying a very large bowl while watching the baseball game tonight.
    The truth is, some foods are more nutritious and healthier than others. Some are downright unhealthy if eaten more than occasionally. OP isn't doing anything wrong by focusing on healthy foods that he likes. It's very appropriate, in fact.

Also, consider that having a good feeling about what we eat can be a very positive and motivating thing. Maybe that's not true for you, but it is for a lot of people.
  • leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    xmd9au7jaayw.gif
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    wow is that a deep friend twinkie??? i could eat a bucket full of those!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The only food that I make a point to include in my diet that I absolutely hate is kelp, for the iodine. I blend it into a smoothie though, so all the other things in the smoothie masks the kelp pretty well. And then I top the smoothie with raw ice cream, which also helps. ;)

Seriously, though. Forcing yourself to eat foods that you don't like is a surefire setup for a diet fail. I like most foods, so I'm pretty flexible, but I can't stand radishes and turnips. But at the same time, I also realize that I eat so many other healthy things that I can still have an overall healthy diet that satisfies my tastebuds by not eating them. So I don't.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yup, don't force yourself to eat foods you hate in order to lose weight.
    *Thinks back to the lemon meringue pie I had this morning*
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Foods I like and eat everyday:
    Cookies
    Chocolate
    Tea
    Pickles
    Cheese

I'd make a list of foods I could eat everyday but it would take all day.

Well, yes, I like those foods too - except the pickles.

But I would have a problem fitting chocolate, cookies, and cheese into every day, unless very small portions - I think OP's list was more intended to be foods he liked and could eat every day, easy to fit into his allowance.

My list of such foods might be
    bananas
    mandarines
    yoghurt
    weetbix
    coffee

things I like and do fit all of into my day quite often.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Foods I like and eat everyday:
    Cookies
    Chocolate
    Tea
    Pickles
    Cheese

I'd make a list of foods I could eat everyday but it would take all day.

Well, yes, I like those foods too - except the pickles.

But I would have a problem fitting chocolate, cookies, and cheese into every day, unless very small portions - I think OP's list was more intended to be foods he liked and could eat every day, easy to fit into his allowance.

My list of such foods might be
    bananas
    mandarines
    yoghurt
    weetbix
    coffee

things I like and do fit all of into my day quite often.

I ate an entire chocolate bar everyday during my active losing phase in 2013-2014...I eat cheese almost everyday too...

it's about the serving size and figure out how to make it fit without hurting health and nutrition.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Generally yes, but if I bought it then gosh darn it I'm eating it! Or my mom buys something new and doesn't like it and passes it to me, lol. Right now I am working on Bear Naked coconut chocolate cluster cereal which is possible the grossest cereal ever. But was like $5 for the box!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I always did just watch calorie intake, protein and eat some more vegetables/fruits.

You should eat foods you like. You don't have to eat the same food daily or a very restrictive diet to be healthy or lose weight.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of salads. I do eat them occasionally because I do occasionally crave them, but I don't eat them every day. I've tried to eat them because they are "healthy" and supposedly filling (my stomach begs to differ), but I feel like I'm tucking into a flake of my horse's alfalfa most of the time. I still eat LOTS of veggies (and I like raw veggies, just not necessarily in a salad). I just don't want a big mess of raw greens a lot of the time!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I hate kale. Now that I've established that... haha

Foods I can eat everyday:
    Mixed Greens
    Lighthouse Jalapeno Ranch
    Mushrooms
    stir fry (chicken, broccoli, carrots, stir fry sauce)
    Spicy chicken sandwich
    Cheez it's
    Eggs
    Bread
    Cookies
    French Fries
    Mozz. Sticks

And on ... and on... :smiley:
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I eat cheeseburgers and fries once a week. I like those. I also have bacon every week too, because I like it :) It took me a while as well to get out of my head I NEEDED to be on a specific "food plan" to lose weight, and anything else that was not on said program, eating list, etc was "BAD"!! Some of my friends are still stuck in that as well. I get asked, "oh what are you doing?" "what plan are you following?" "what supplement system are you on?"

NONE

I eat what I want and what I like. I have learned portion control (most days) and pay attention to what/when I am eating things. I am sure as I get closer to my goal it will become a little more strict as to when/how often I will have these, but we will see when I get there. It becomes second nature once you have logged/learned for a while. I have been doing this since Feb this year and feel a HUGE difference as to when I have tried in the past. I am doing this the "right way" now, for me. It doesn't feel forced anymore.