My workout routine

Options
I need some help. I'm starting to feel like my workout routine may be too much and I thought I'd reach out for some advice because I don't seem to be loosing weight or fat anymore.... Here is my current routine:
Sun-run 10 miles
Mon- Full body circuit training in a group and 1 hour of cardio (stairs or insanity)
Tues - back and biceps and 5 mile run (with double stroller or on treadmill)
Wed - Full body circuit training in a group and 1 hour of cardio (stairs or insanity)
Thurs- shoulders, chest, tris and 3 mile run (with double stroller or on treadmill)
Fri- legs and 5 mile run (with double stroller or on treadmill)
Sat- active rest with 3 mile walk

My diet is pretty good and I weigh and record what I'm eating (haven't logged anything in mfp for a while because I use my Fitbit app).

Is this too much? I've been doing this for months but I stopped seeing results in the last couple and I've heard that training too much can stall things. Help?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is not so much-
    is your exercise too much?
    it is more are you eating at a deficit?

You can exercise 'til the cows come home but if you are not in a deficit you will not lose weight.

All fitness trackers are only estimates. Look through your past 6 weeks of data, (knowing you are eating at maintenance right now) average it out to get your daily maintenance calories, then subtract 250 cals from that for a .5 lbs weekly deficit.

You may also find it useful to weigh and log on MFP (using MFP goals rather than Fitbit) for 6 weeks just to get a base calorie burn.

Cheers, h.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It's way more than what I do, but I don't do a lot by design.

I don't think you need that much but if fat loss stopped: have you been using a food scale? Have you adjusted your calories since losing? Have you taken measurements or progress pics?
  • MacNYellow
    MacNYellow Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I guess I should have put down my diet too! I do measure my food with a food scale and I've also used 21 day fix containers to help with portion size. I have taken progress photos and I've definitely put on a lot of muscle but my BF still hovers around 20-22%.

Here's my diet.
    On days I don't run I usually cut out the fruit and add more eggs or protein powder

B: 4 egg whites, 1/3 oatmeal, 2 tsp PB

S: Apple 2 tsp peanut butter

Post workout
    S: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup frozen spinach, 1/4 cup frozen berries, 1/2 cashew milk (smoothie)

L: 1 cup lettuce, 4 oz grilled chicken, 5-6 grape tomato, 1/4 cup cucumber, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp hummus

S: 2 hard boiled eggs, 5 mini peppers or 2stalks celery, 1 tbsp hummus

Din: 4 oz ground turkey, 1/2 cup red/green peppers and onion, 2 tbsp salsa, 2 slices avacado OR 4 oz chicken breast and 6 asparagus

I have a glass of red wine on Sat nights too... gotta live a little
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ok so you are within a healthy goal weight and have a low bf%. That will make progress much harder.

I take it you are looking for improvements in body composition, rather than weight loss- correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the case you may do better switching to a proven 3x week progressive, compound lifting routine as you are only hitting each body part x 1 a week.

You should be able to recomp- eat at maintenance, lift heavy, lose fat, increase muscle. It is slow but effective.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • MacNYellow
    MacNYellow Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yes, I'm trying to recomp. And get leaner because my tummy is still soft. Seems to be the last place I lose fat along with my thighs. I'm hitting each area more than once because my full body group on Mon and Wed does some heavy weights for upper lower and then some cardio intervals i between. Then I do a split for each group too.... I've just heard too much can cause more muscle loss. I workout around 2 hours a day, and while I enjoy it, I also don't want to go backwards
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MacNYellow wrote: »
    Yes, I'm trying to recomp. And get leaner because my tummy is still soft. Seems to be the last place I lose fat along with my thighs. I'm hitting each area more than once because my full body group on Mon and Wed does some heavy weights for upper lower and then some cardio intervals i between. Then I do a split for each group too.... I've just heard too much can cause more muscle loss. I workout around 2 hours a day, and while I enjoy it, I also don't want to go backwards

That's a lot of cardio for recomp.

You're not seeing results so you probably need to change your routine a bit.

If you like running then keep it in but reduce your mileage and swap your classes for 3 x full body per week.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Run 10 miles?!? Omg. Lol. Wish I could do that.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Just six asparagus? I think counting the amount of asparagus you are eating is silly. It's a vegetable, a good one at that. Eat them, enjoy them, don't count them. It just seems sad that you would limit yourself like that. Limit for other foods, that aren't great for you, I totally understand. But eat all the veggies!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @TavistockToad asked the question you need to ask yourself again.

From your weekly routine I would have guessed your goal was primarily fitness not building muscle.
    To me your routine isn't really that well aligned or designed. Six days a week doing a mix of both strength and cardio isn't likely to give you quality training or decent recovery. That's a lot of volume but is it really targeted?

Circuit training is obviously a great workout but not really optimal for what you are saying you are trying to achieve. Doing split weights routines isn't likely to be a good choice for you either.

Think you should really go back to basics and decide what is your primary goal then make that the foundation of your routine.

You need to think how you are going to track progress too...
    Increasing weight lifted, faster runs - is your performance actually improving?
    Body comp - tracking measurements taking progress photos.

PS - using cups and spoons as measures isn't a good idea for accuracy.
    PPS - 2hrs x 6 days is a lot, sustainable for you?
    PPPS - what is more important to you, "results" or enjoyment? (There's no right answer to that!)

All of this.

Use a food scale. Using cups/spoons for solid/semi solid foods is highly innacurate.
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    MacNYellow wrote: »
    I guess I should have put down my diet too! I do measure my food with a food scale and I've also used 21 day fix containers to help with portion size. I have taken progress photos and I've definitely put on a lot of muscle but my BF still hovers around 20-22%.

Here's my diet.
    On days I don't run I usually cut out the fruit and add more eggs or protein powder

B: 4 egg whites, 1/3 oatmeal, 2 tsp PB

S: Apple 2 tsp peanut butter

Post workout
    S: 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup frozen spinach, 1/4 cup frozen berries, 1/2 cashew milk (smoothie)

L: 1 cup lettuce, 4 oz grilled chicken, 5-6 grape tomato, 1/4 cup cucumber, 1tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp hummus

S: 2 hard boiled eggs, 5 mini peppers or 2stalks celery, 1 tbsp hummus

Din: 4 oz ground turkey, 1/2 cup red/green peppers and onion, 2 tbsp salsa, 2 slices avacado OR 4 oz chicken breast and 6 asparagus

I have a glass of red wine on Sat nights too... gotta live a little

Your diet seems solid! Going to try some of these. It could be possible that your exercising is too routine, maybe try switching up a couple of days and try something different. There can be a plateau when your body gets too used to the same exercises. Try Pilates, yoga, or maybe a spin class :) good luck!