Frustrated with all the information?

Options
Hello everyone, I am at a frustrating point. My goal was to loose 60 lbs this year. I have switched my diet to mostly Paleo, I would say 90%. I have a hard time with grains as it makes my stomach hurt. I lost about 15 lbs and got stuck. I upped my workouts and started to do c25k but I'm still stuck at 213. I am so frustrated because every time I see information about how to eat a certain way I also see 15 things telling me that isn't healthy. I feel like every bit of healthy eating info I get I also get contradictory information. Help!!! I really want to loose a bit more before my big vacation to Greece in Aug, but honestly I just want to lose the weight and be healthy. What do I do?

Replies

• afunke3460
    afunke3460 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally get the calories in calories put thing, but where I get frustrated is the healthy fats vs bad fats, or good veggies vs bad. I feel like there is not a good answer as to what to eat and what to stay away from?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If you have specific questions, ask them. This is what this place is for. Go get a food scale.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    afunke3460 wrote: »
    I totally get the calories in calories put thing, but where I get frustrated is the healthy fats vs bad fats, or good veggies vs bad. I feel like there is not a good answer as to what to eat and what to stay away from?

That's my point. The answer to these questions are mostly a matter of opinion, which is why there is so much conflicting information out there. Everyone is going to point to a different study to defend their beliefs. At the end of the day, if you eat what you like, eat what makes you feel good and stay within your calorie goal you will be fine.
  • afunke3460
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

That's my point. The answer to these questions are mostly a matter of opinion, which is why there is so much conflicting information out there. Everyone is going to point to a different study to defend their beliefs. At the end of the day, if you eat what you like, eat what makes you feel good and stay within your calorie goal you will be fine.

Thank you!
  • afunke3460
    Options
    Ok, so on Paleo bacon is good. Is that really the case? Or would this be a bad fat? I see many things saying it is bad but many that is good. Where does this lay on the fat scale? Is it better to do any protein or should I stick to low fat protein. Also what about jerky?
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You can't villify food :o
    Everyone's on a different diet based on their individual goals.
    The best thing for you to do is seek guidance from a nutritionist/dietitian who can help you with a diet plan specific to your goals. :)
    You can learn a lot from people on MFP, but it's not professional or medical advice.
  • afunke3460
    Options
    Ok, so on Paleo bacon is good. Is that really the case? Or would this be a bad fat? I see many things saying it is bad but many that is good. Where does this lay on the fat scale? Is it better to do any protein or should I stick to low fat protein. Also what about jerky?

Are you asking a paleo person, a clean eater, a vegan, a vegetarian, a person with predisposition to heart disease, a lchf dieter....

Lol well I am not a vegan or vegetarian, I do Paleo most of the time, but am not seeing results. So I am thinking I need to change my diet. I am looking to see what I need to do and am wondering what I should bring with me? So I guess I am just trying to figure out what I need to do
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Most of that is overcomplicating it for the sake of making you feel like you need someone else to tell you what to eat.

IMO, weight loss is about calories and what makes you feel satisfied. These are important.

Nutrition is about getting a nutrient dense diet that meets your needs, and generally speaking there's agreement that vegetables, healthy fats, and protein are important, with a great deal of dispute about how much protein is really desirable. For me, protein is satiating and maintaining muscle is important to me (and I think good for my health as a 40 something woman), so I eat a bit more than some think is necessary.

If someone says there are good vegetables and bad vegetables and specifically vegetables you should avoid (carrots are too sugary or some dumb nonsense like that), write them off as a bad source, period. Vegetables are good for you unless the specific vegetable makes you feel bad.

IMO, same with fruit except it has enough calories that you need to make sure you are not one of those people who would eat it to the exclusion of getting enough fat and protein and vegetables.

As for healthy fats, what is normally meant are sources of omega 3s, like fatty fish (as those tend to be in overly low supply in the current diet, on average), and less processed vegetable sources like nuts and seeds, nut butters, olives and olive oil, avocado. But other sources of fat are okay (for some limiting sat fat is likely a good idea, but that doesn't mean having none, and worrying about that now might be counterproductive). How much fat overall goes back to that "what makes you feel satiated and satisfied" thing.

Don't overcomplicate it.
  • afunke3460
    Options
    amysteri wrote: »
    You can't villify food :o
    Everyone's on a different diet based on their individual goals.
    The best thing for you to do is seek guidance from a nutritionist/dietitian who can help you with a diet plan specific to your goals. :)
    You can learn a lot from people on MFP, but it's not professional or medical advice.

I guess that is my problem, is I am just confused as to what is healthy.... I will have to find a nutritionist
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Are you asking a paleo person, a clean eater, a vegan, a vegetarian, a person with predisposition to heart disease, a lchf dieter....

Lol well I am not a vegan or vegetarian, I do Paleo most of the time, but am not seeing results. So I am thinking I need to change my diet. I am looking to see what I need to do and am wondering what I should bring with me? So I guess I am just trying to figure out what I need to do

The point is, people are going to have their own opinion based on their own views of health. There is no right answer, you need to work out what a healthy diet is to you.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did paleo for a year, paleo-esque for a year following. Lost 10 lbs the first year, stayed at that weight the second.

This year, my third of training and thinking critically about what I eat, I completely ditched paleo. I've lost another 10 lbs and I'm on my way to the next five. This is what I've found successful so far:

1.) Prioritize eating atleast 100g (or 0.7g per 1lb body weight) of lean Protein a day. That's like, 20g every time you eat. Not bad. Just make sure it isn't sausage or bacon or ribeyes. :)
    2.) Have a non-starchy vegetable with every meal (I do salad or frozen veggies like broccoli. Also squash is great this time of year)
    3.) Consider eating starches like potatoes and bananas and stuff. Don't just cut them out.
    4.) Really look at your caloric intake, honestly. I didn't really do that well on paleo, and honestly, I think it's because I overdid it calorically and with fats and my body needed more carbs to accommodate for the training I was working on.
    5.) Challenge yourself to eat slowly

Like everyone else said, these are all opinions. But here are some easy "rules of thumb" that I've picked up. Good luck!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A good site for straightforward, scientifically accurate explanations and advice is Harvard School of Public Health's Nutritionsource https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Bacon, delicious as it is, is high in salt and saturated fats, both things that should not be eaten in excess for best health and longevity. Lean proteins are a better choice for health. That being said, a life without bacon would be a torture for many of us. Consider bacon a treat not a protein staple.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Good fat tends to mean the specific things I mentioned above. That doesn't mean that other sources of fat are bad.

Processed meat/smoked things/nitrites probably should not be consumed in huge amounts, but eating some is fine. (I get bacon from a local farm and eat it (in smallish quantities) regularly, and consume smoked salmon a decent amount.)

Protein that is high in fat will often add a good bit of sat fat to your diet. There is some debate about the harm of sat fat -- I tend to think that limiting it is still the best course but that doesn't mean none, and people react differently -- some have cholesterol issues linked to it, some do not. If your cholesterol is fine, worrying about sat fat may not be a huge deal for you right now. That said, getting adequate protein without eating huge amounts of meat is easier if you go for a lot of leaner options. But that doesn't mean only boneless skinless chicken breast or that you can never have chicken with skin on it or pulled pork. Just maybe make sure you are mainly getting leaner cuts or vegetarian sources of protein if possible (legumes are out on paleo normally, I know -- one of my own issues with paleo), sprinkle in the others for taste and satisfaction. Don't become overly rigid and think it must be all or nothing.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    A good site for straightforward, scientifically accurate explanations and advice is Harvard School of Public Health's Nutritionsource https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

Agreed, good link.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight - it's not WHAT you are eating, it's HOW MUCH you are eating.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you dont have to change your diet. you just need to be in a caloric deficit like the diagram above states, if you havent lost in awhile and your weight is the same you are eating maintenance calories. did you update your weight in MFP? you need to input your new weight every 10-20lbs lost. you cant eat the same amount of calories throughout the whole time.The less you weigh the less calories your body needs. which is why its a good idea to calculate every so often.