Yikes constipation

Options

Replies

• dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Senna tea ("smooth move" tea) you can find it in most grocery stores where the tea is sold will help- generally a cup at bedtime will promote a BM in the AM..... maybe drink it on the 3rd day before you have symptoms.... Some people say it works faster so you may prefer it in the morning so you don't wake up at night depending on your daily schedule.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Magnesium at night, and Aloe gel pills work great. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night on a daily basis. This is the brand I like https://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Secrets-Natural-Supplements-Softgels/dp/B00YQDXW6Q/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498588319&sr=8-4&keywords=aloe+pills
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm reading these comments and I may have to try some of these remedies. I might try the warm water, see how it goes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    In one of these constipation threads we had an OP with a serious medical issue that required medical intervention, so keep a trip to the doctor's in mind as an option.

Feel free to try a few prunes first. They are yummy and usually effective.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the great recommendations! Things are moving but my god I'm miserable. I feel like I don't ever want to eat again, but I'm sure that'll pass. :wink:

I will be trying some of these suggestions and make sure this doesn't happen again. Curious what the scale will say, I feel like I'm *** pounds. :smiley:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide worked (the cheaper one). Magnesium Citrate did nothing. Some pills like Restavin for restles leg contain citrate.

For me it's the opposite. Oxide does nothing. Citrate is magic.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Magnesium oxide worked (the cheaper one). Magnesium Citrate did nothing. Some pills like Restavin for restles leg contain citrate.

Actually, magnesium citrate is sold at pharmacies as a laxative. That is the one with the real laxative effect for the majority of people. I use a mag citrate powder everyday, and I go everyday (along with my cup of coffee, which only works for between 30-40% of people). I only used to be able to go about every 10 days. That was so miserable. Once I added the magnesium, I never had that problem again.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My gosh, I had no idea. Thank you group.
    I think the reason the oxide works for me is because the oxide is 250 mg and the citrate is 100 mg and I only take one pill a night. Cost is an issue. Thank you for making me smarter !!!! Citrate costs so much more.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Actually, magnesium citrate is sold at pharmacies as a laxative. That is the one with the real laxative effect for the majority of people. I use a mag citrate powder everyday, and I go everyday (along with my cup of coffee, which only works for between 30-40% of people). I only used to be able to go about every 10 days. That was so miserable. Once I added the magnesium, I never had that problem again.

Thanks for that! I'll get some and see how it works! Great advice for my issue thanks so much everyone!

• sluggo1721
    sluggo1721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I first started. I noticed it was much worse when I did not drink enough water and when I did not eat enough fat. I also learned I needed to get the right bacteria back in my stomach so I began eating yogurt and kumbucha.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    klappeh wrote: »
    do you take a multivitamin? Iron can make you constipated. Also make sure you are still getting enough fiber.

So can calcium. Best to you, OP!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I started getting severe constipation this year. I tend to eat very little grains and fruit, and super high volume leafy greens but not enough fibrous veg. I'm a mess. I look preggo right now.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I drank a whole bottle of magnesium citrate once and it did not a THING.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    While I am willing to accept the notion that everybody and every body is different, I seem to recall reading that in general, if one is otherwise healthy, one should have a bowel movement for each meal, about 24 hours later; hence the term "circadian rhythm" (from the Latin circa (about) + dian (day)). This means if you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, you should have a morning, a mid-day, and an evening BM to eliminate yesterday's meals.

Check out Mary Roach's book "Gulp. Adventures on the Alimentary Canal"
    http://maryroach.net/gulp.html
  • bbell1985
    Options
    While I am willing to accept the notion that everybody and every body is different, I seem to recall reading that in general, if one is otherwise healthy, one should have a bowel movement for each meal, about 24 hours later; hence the term "circadian rhythm" (from the Latin circa (about) + dian (day)). This means if you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, you should have a morning, a mid-day, and an evening BM to eliminate yesterday's meals.

lol no. 3x per day?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That's exactly how my husband rolls. I am so jealous of his perfect regularity.

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I think everyone has their own 'schedule'. For example once a month I have to go several times a day usually for 1 day or 2 max but its not the runs just normal BM although sometimes the need feels urgent. Aunt Flo comes to visit 3-5 days later. Because of this I am usually lightest just before my period unlike most women who generally have water retention.
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Metamucil is pretty good. The sugar free one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,766 Member
    Options
    Reinforcing others' mainstream messages: First get fiber, water, fat, and exercise at a reasonable level.

I emphasize fat because many people trying to lose weight will cut fat too far. Try for a minimum of around 0.4g per day per pound of healthy goal weight (more is OK). You also need fat for proper hormone function, and in order to best utilize the fat-soluble vitamins, among other things. Don't lowball it.

If all of that's on point, then consider probiotics and supplements.

Do not rely on laxatives, even so-called natural ones like senna, on a regular basis.
    Regular use can seriously mess things up. If the problem is routine or frequent, see your doctor.

Defecating several times daily, as long as it's not diarrhea, is not a problem, if your eating is high-fiber and you have no negative symptoms.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Walking around as much as possible, drinking plenty of water, also try holding a hot water bottle over your lower abdominal area which can help things get moving sometimes if the medicinal route is taking its time.