How much water weight can an obese person have?

Options
Hi All,

I have recently decided to do something serious about my weight after getting to my heaviest ever at 322lbs on my 6ft 1" body.

After only 2 weeks of reducing carbs, fat, calories and increasing protein, I have lost 27lbs.

I know I cannot be losing fat that quickly so have put it down to water weight to begin with. The question is, how much more water weight could I expect to lose before I start seeing how much fat I am losing on a weekly basis and truly how effective my diet is being.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Replies

• JonMacFit
    JonMacFit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not many lifestyle changes as I have 2 young children so always being kept active unless at work where I sit on my *kitten* most of the day.
    My target weight is 210 and MFP says I should be doing around 2000 calories per day to lose 2 lbs per week. However I have been consuming around 1500 recently as my new diet has left me feeling satisfied at this point and not by trying to go this low.
  • JonMacFit
    JonMacFit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Any advice on things I can have to increase the calories without too much additional fat/carbs?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Any advice on things I can have to increase the calories without too much additional fat/carbs?

protein? (but as stanmann said, nothing wrong with fat or carbs)
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a diet, the first week I can around 8 pounds. But I do think your smaller intake of food you are losing fat, especially your 2nd week. You are doing great. For me, I can't eat a lot of carbs (pasta, bread, rice, junk food, cereal etc.) when I am trying to lose. If I watch my carbs, maybe 1 or the most 2 a day, everything else, all the other food groups, just fall into place.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with fat or carbs.

While this statement is true, some people are more carb tolerant than others. If I eat more than 100 grams a day, I don't lose weight. Some people can eat 350 a day and lose. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.
  • MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    everything on here is so smart and stuff I wish I had known the last billion times I was dieting lol. That said, take your weight, divide it by 2, and that's the amount of water you should ideally have in a day (according to a personal trainer I saw a few times)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with fat or carbs.

While this statement is true, some people are more carb tolerant than others. If I eat more than 100 grams a day, I don't lose weight. Some people can eat 350 a day and lose. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.

weight loss comes from overall calorie deficit...so you are saying if you ate 101 carbs in a day and nothing else (for argument sake) you wouldn't lose weight???
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I find fat really filling, while carbs make me feel hungry quicker. There is a whole category of food (nuts and seeds) that are high fat and high in minerals like magnesium and calcium.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    everything on here is so smart and stuff I wish I had known the last billion times I was dieting lol. That said, take your weight, divide it by 2, and that's the amount of water you should ideally have in a day (according to a personal trainer I saw a few times)

I hope I've misunderstood you... I'm currently 74kgs, are you telling me I should be drinking 37 kilos (so 37 litres!) of water a DAY?! Haha, I'd never leave the bathroom...!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »

I hope I've misunderstood you... I'm currently 74kgs, are you telling me I should be drinking 37 kilos (so 37 litres!) of water a DAY?! Haha, I'd never leave the bathroom...!

It's half your body weight (pounds) in ounces that is being thrown around these days. So for a 74kg person, it'd be about 81.5 oz of water. If you buy into it.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Haha that would be bad. I think she's referring to pounds to ounces. So for you it would be like 2.4 liters would give you the same calculation.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

LOL... Yeah, the caveat is the weight has to be in pounds... and the water in oz... meaning you should be getting around 70 oz, or 3.3 liters of water a day.