Cyclists who commute to work?

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
As I've seen in other threads there are a fair few cyclists who use MFP...

How many of you commute on your bikes to work daily?

My commute is 12.8 miles on my 'normal' route (which normally takes me about 40 minutes 'give or take.' My quickest time is just over 37 minutes :happy: ) My shortest possible route is 12.2 miles, but the ride isn't as enjoyable...

How long are your commutes, what's your quickest time etc etc...

Replies

• bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    I truly envy that you can bicycle to work. I live in Dallas and it's not bicycle friendly at all.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mine's only a 4mi trip each way. Takes ~17ish min depending on the traffic lights.
  • sonalily
    sonalily Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have just starting biking to work. it is 7km each way, and in my city, it is very hilly, i still have to walk up some of the hills, but getting better each day.

so far it takes me 30-40 min going to work, and less than 30 going home (more downhills going home :smile: )
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That's fast!! My commute is a little under 3 miles of purely hills, and it take me about 15 minutes door to door. Usually when I ride for pleasure I'll ride about 12 miles, like your commute. but at a nice easy pace, and it takes about an hour.
  • getyupcowgirl
    Options
    Riding my bike to work is my goal at the moment. I'm just finishing the Jullian Michaels 30 Day Shred and now getting ready to start Ripped in 30. I think that will give me the strengh that I need to start riding to work . . . wish me luck!
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    about 5 miles, takes 23min in the morning, 32 to go home (hills!). Give or take a few minutes depending on lights.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I truly envy that you can bicycle to work. I live in Dallas and it's not bicycle friendly at all.

That is a real shame; cycling has got me to my current weight and it will get me further I'm sure of that...

I just wish I'd found it sooner!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When the weather is good enough I try to - it's about 3 miles which is just a quick 10-15 mins at the most.

I cycle alot in the evenings usually 20 miles in 70 mins although my best is 20 miles in 62 mins. This isn't on the road cyclin this is muddy tracks, hills etc.

I think i'm addicted to cycling, if it didn't burn so many calories i'd probably do more than the 20 miles everyday.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 - 15km commute (depending on route) through London each way from Zone 4 to W1 and back. It'd be a breeze if it didn't include Highgate, one of the city's most notorious hills. I generally take the wuss route via Archway Road to East Finchley, and even that's pretty murderous....

Weirdly, although the traffic can be quite fierce, given the somewhat cavalier attitudes of some of my fellow road users to cyclists, I actually tend to be most annoyed by the mental queues at various junctions, and particularly the way the backstreet routes get used as rat-runs for parents dropping off kids during school time.

Due to the stop and start nature of my route, I don't think I've made the run in much less than 35 minutes during daylight hours. Traffic lightens at night, so things get faster, but I don't have a complete route time for that, as my fastest midnight runs have always been back from gigs or pubs that I've gone on to after work.

Still, I'm pretty happy with my near-daily 26km or so.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately my commute to work is about 25 miles. I have biked it quite a few times before though, when training for a triathlon. It's not hilly, but lots of stoplights, so it would take about 1:30 to 2 hours, depending if the lights were in my favor.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Surely there has to be more commuters?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    Guess not then... :huh: