Hypothyroid and weight loss help

Options
Hi everyone I have been diagnosed today with hypothyroid and have been prescribed levothyroxine. I was just wondering if anybody else maybe after being diagnosed found it easier to lose weight by taking there medication or if it makes it harder or if you tend to stay around the same weight? My doctor told me I should be able to lose weight more easily when they give me the right amount and that is why I have been finding it hard to lose the baby weight my baby is 6 months and i have been suffering fatigue and muscle cramps i also suffer from joint hypomobility any help would be great thanks

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I don't have thyroid issues but several posters here have commented in the past that the key to getting their weight moving was getting their medication right and logging accurately. Hopefully peeps with firsthand experience will be along soon, but I wanted to get the ball rolling for you. Good luck and congrats on the baby!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I have been diagnosed today with hypothyroid and have been prescribed levothyroxine. I was just wondering if anybody else maybe after being diagnosed found it easier to lose weight by taking there medication or if it makes it harder or if you tend to stay around the same weight? My doctor told me I should be able to lose weight more easily when they give me the right amount and that is why I have been finding it hard to lose the baby weight my baby is 6 months and i have been suffering fatigue and muscle cramps i also suffer from joint hypomobility any help would be great thanks

I lost my thyroid to cancer, so I rely entirely on artificial hormones. Getting the right dose is key to having enough energy to want to get up and move, but I lost weight even before I was medicated. The muscle pains will probably also go away when you find the right dose, which for me took ten months of trial and error. Put your stats into MFP and eat no more than the calories it gives you. Evaluate after a few weeks and adjust you calories based on your evaluation. That's really all it takes.

If you are breastfeeding, it might be harder to lose weight. I could not lose at all as long as I was breastfeeding.
  • carolanneashton
    carolanneashton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have four altogether my first three I managed to shift the weight quite easily but I just can't seem to get a past a certain weight this time and feel constantly tired I log everthing and I find this app has done a great deal for me in the past just hope taking these meds do me some good!
  • carolanneashton
    Options
    Thanks for your reply VioletRojo did you have any side affects as they where uping your dose of you don't mind me asking, I am breastfeeding so that could be another reason why it maybe harder to lose as my other 3 I bottlefed thanks
  • VioletRojo
    Options
    Thanks for your reply VioletRojo did you have any side affects as they where uping your dose of you don't mind me asking, I am breastfeeding so that could be another reason why it maybe harder to lose as my other 3 I bottlefed thanks

At one point we went too high on the dose and I had a few ugly side effects: heart racing, drastic mood swings, fatigue, and muscle weakness. I also found that I'm allergic to an ingredient in Synthroid, which is the most prescribed brand of levothyroxine (T4) in the U.S., so I have to take Tirosint, which is very expensive. I also take a generic T3 because my body doesn't convert T4 well. The T3 has made the most difference in how I feel.
  • carolanneashton
    Options
    Wow they are the effects I am getting now I hope when I start taking mine tomorow I shift the other way, not hoping for immediate effect but the quicker I feel like my old self the better. I live in the UK so because it is a hormone therapy we get it free. Thank you for helping me get my head around all this its hard to speak to people as none of my family know much about it you have been a great help!
  • VioletRojo
    Options
    Wow they are the effects I am getting now I hope when I start taking mine tomorow I shift the other way, not hoping for immediate effect but the quicker I feel like my old self the better. I live in the UK so because it is a hormone therapy we get it free. Thank you for helping me get my head around all this its hard to speak to people as none of my family know much about it you have been a great help!

It may take weeks for you to feel better. It takes a while for the hormone to build up in your system and for your body to start using it. You should also have blood work done in about 6 weeks to check your levels, the again six weeks after every dose change.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You still have to live a healthy lifestyle, but yes, it's easier when your meds are at the proper dose. I've been on them a very long time, I seem to recall feeling significantly better after a few days. Most of that time, if I ever missed a dose (I take mine in the morning), I didn't feel it that day, but I sure as heck noticed it as soon as I woke up the 2nd day. I've lost around 40lbs (18.14kgs) in the past 18 months, and when I realized on a recent road trip I'd forgotten to pack my thyroid meds, I was sure that I'd be be miserable or chugging coffee all day. I know my thyroid is closer to normal now than before, because it wasn't until the evening of the 3rd day that I started feeling the lethargy. Good luck!
  • carolanneashton
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me 8wks medication he said at 6wks go for bloods when it gets into my system and they will review just glad they tested me as I was always putting it down to my hypomobility I am taking cocodamol for that only 2x 15mg as that's all I can take with breastfeeding I was on tramadol before I got pregnant so thought the symptoms where because of the drop in medication.
  • carolanneashton
    Options
    Thanks for you reply NEOHgirl wow that is a big weight loss well done! I want to lose about 28lb which is my baby weight but having this and maybe with me breastfeeding is making it that bit harder and the fact that I am usually quite healthy but knowing these tablets are for life is just abit shocking since I can't control it any other way but if it helps that's good enough for me. I must say these past few months my morning coffee has been my best friend haha.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Oh yes the med made all the difference! now I will say levo didn't work for me personally and I was switched to Armour Thyroid, but that's not true of most ppl.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have hashimotos and am levothyroxine

Ive lost 148lb so far

Im also a breastfeeding mama and have lost weight while breastfeeding i just have to carefully watch my deficit as if i drop my calories too much then my milk supply starts to drop and i have to eat in a surplus to get it back up

Levo has given me the energy to want to be up and moving. I hike with my son on my back

Couldnt do that before levo and weight loss as i was in too much pain ( still in pain from a joint condition)

It can take 6 -8 weeks for the meds to get into your system and the doctor should do another test at this point to make sure your on the correct dosage
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been hypothyroid for about 17 years. My muscle stiffness and fatigue started to gradually improve as I started taking the levothyroxine, though it did take a small number of weeks for the change to start being noticeable (maybe 3-4 weeks?) and even longer for the dosage to be adjusted to the precise correct level, and for the relief to be optimised. I had zero negative side effects.

Take your drugs religiously, and exactly per instructions (usually, this is first thing in the AM, and wait a designated interval before eating, but do whatever your instructions are, daily and religiously, for best results). This is important.

Losing weight may be easier (i.e. you may be able to lose while eating a few more calories), but weight loss can be challenging for anyone, unfortunately. I lost over 50 pounds, to a healthy weight, and am into my 2nd year of maintaining that weight.

You can do this, too!
  • carolanneashton
    Options

Ive lost 148lb so far

Im also a breastfeeding mama and have lost weight while breastfeeding i just have to carefully watch my deficit as if i drop my calories too much then my milk supply starts to drop and i have to eat in a surplus to get it back up

Levo has given me the energy to want to be up and moving. I hike with my son on my back

Couldnt do that before levo and weight loss as i was in too much pain ( still in pain from a joint condition)

It can take 6 -8 weeks for the meds to get into your system and the doctor should do another test at this point to make sure your on the correct dosage
    That is a fantastic loss! I used to love the energy I had so hoping to get it back, I will keep an eye on my supply I notice my baba gets abit cranky later in the day if I take cocodamol sometimes aswell.
  • carolanneashton
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been hypothyroid for about 17 years. My muscle stiffness and fatigue started to gradually improve as I started taking the levothyroxine, though it did take a small number of weeks for the change to start being noticeable (maybe 3-4 weeks?) and even longer for the dosage to be adjusted to the precise correct level, and for the relief to be optimised. I had zero negative side effects.

Take your drugs religiously, and exactly per instructions (usually, this is first thing in the AM, and wait a designated interval before eating, but do whatever your instructions are, daily and religiously, for best results). This is important.

Losing weight may be easier (i.e. you may be able to lose while eating a few more calories), but weight loss can be challenging for anyone, unfortunately. I lost over 50 pounds, to a healthy weight, and am into my 2nd year of maintaining that weight.

You can do this, too!

Thank you for your comment, I started taking my meds today so hoping the next few weeks I will feel alot better and be able to shift this weight and hope it will ease my joint pain. Wow 50lb loss is great when I used to be able to lose weight I had trouble maintaining but I am going to try even though my physiotherapist said my muscles are weak and I had made no improvement i still want to have some muscle mass I will do it in the end even if it takes a long time.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

Ive lost 148lb so far

That is a fantastic loss! I used to love the energy I had so hoping to get it back, I will keep an eye on my supply I notice my baba gets abit cranky later in the day if I take cocodamol sometimes aswell.

The codiene can make baby tired, my son gets cranky when tired

Im on codiene and know my son copes well with morphine ( born 15 weeks premature so pumped full of all sorts) so my doctors ok with me taking it but i wait and take it straight after nursing so its out of my system before he next nurses
  • carolanneashton
    Options

Ive lost 148lb so far

Im on codiene and know my son copes well with morphine ( born 15 weeks premature so pumped full of all sorts) so my doctors ok with me taking it but i wait and take it straight after nursing so its out of my system before he next nurses

Same here I try and take after nursing, I was given morphine with my third pregnancy as when I got to hospital with chest pain that found out I had pre-eclampsia and really high blood pressure. I would of liked to breastfeed her but the meds they put me on I had to stop so only managed to feed her for 48hrs.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

Ive lost 148lb so far

Same here I try and take after nursing, I was given morphine with my third pregnancy as when I got to hospital with chest pain that found out I had pre-eclampsia and really high blood pressure. I would of liked to breastfeed her but the meds they put me on I had to stop so only managed to feed her for 48hrs.

Aww bless you hun

If the co codamol is for a chronic condition then ask about other options

Im now on amitriptyline 10mg at night. Its really helped lower the pain i get from a joint condition
    On a good day i can now go without codiene and a bad day only need a half dose (my dose is normally 60mg) a couple times a day
  • carolanneashton
    Options

Ive lost 148lb so far

Aww bless you hun

If the co codamol is for a chronic condition then ask about other options

Im now on amitriptyline 10mg at night. Its really helped lower the pain i get from a joint condition
    On a good day i can now go without codiene and a bad day only need a half dose (my dose is normally 60mg) a couple times a day

I used to be on tramadol before I got pregnant then they lowered my dose to cocodamol 2x 15mg when i was pregnant, but i think I will have to go back upto 2x30mg I take it for my joint hypomobility syndrome which has gotten worse over the last few years trying to nurse little one till at least 1yr.