256 pounds and troubled

Options
whineryjnw
whineryjnw Posts: 20 Member
edited June 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Yea I'm over weight, the hard thing is everyone says I'm not that fat but I don't agree. Whether it be years of the stero type that guys need to be fit or that if I'm not healthy then I must be lazy, my brain is at constant war with me. I've tried diets and I like exercise but I can never stay consistent. I find myself always finding excuses to not run or to eat unhealthy amounts. Does anyone else have this problem? Any pointers?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Fill out mfp accurately and choose a moderate deficit. (1 pound a week). Don't give up the foods you love. Find activity you enjoy!
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ^ Agreed. The best thing you can do is start making small changes. Eat what you want, but cut down your portions. Up your water intake, that will help a lot. Any activity is good activity. Good luck!
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Log your food, even if you can't believe what or how much you ate. Start slow - maybe even don't make any changes for the first few days. Just seeing it all in black and white is sobering. And if you log faithfully for a week or two (even better), you'll get a sense of where you can cut.

On the days that I really, really don't want to go to the gym, I make myself walk around the block before I eat lunch and again before dinner. It's not that far, but at least I wasn't a total slug all day (I have a really sedentary job).

Last - your weight is only one marker of your health, and if you eat "cleaner", you'll feel better and more motivated. And if you do eat a bacon double cheeseburger, log it!

Good luck!
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    Thanks all appreciate the advice
  • tacarav112
    tacarav112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the same way. I've been dieting for two days and messed up after work today. Tried to exercise twice today and get myself to stay motivated. I use to work out every single day. I'm going to try to just eat smaller portions and start out with just 10 minute workouts until I can stick with habit and bump up the process. Best wishes to you.
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    To you too thank you
  • synthesis2800
    synthesis2800 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 235 lb female and I can relate to what you're saying. I have always been "the fat friend" so my friends and family think that that's just what I'm supposed to look like. I slowly gain more and more weight every year because I am a horrible binge eater. I am pretty new to MFP so my journey is just starting but one thing I have realized is that it is your journey and yours alone. No one can tell you if you have eaten too much, too little, or if you're a good weight. How do YOU feel? Any size girl can be beautiful. Being fat does not make you ugly. I sometimes think the people around me say I'm fine the way I am because they don't want to hurt my feelings but I am beyond that stage of my life now. I know I am overweight and I know that I want to change so that I can feel better on the inside and outside. Your post reminded me a lot of myself. I like exercise too but I burn out after a few days and get bored and then turn to food for comfort again. As far as pointers go, I told everyone that I love that I am trying to lose weight when I used to keep that a secret. I did that because it motivates me a lot to know that the people I love are proud of me, so I strive to make them and myseld proud. Also making friends on here is great inspiration too! There are a lot of really amazing stories on here. Sorry to ramble on! Hope it helps to know you're not alone!
  • dianemcmurtrie
    dianemcmurtrie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ' THE JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SINGLE STEP'!.....!
    Hi there.
    My name is Di.
    One could say I am a veteran MFP user. ( 665 days).
    Though my weight loss battle has been my entire life.
    ( I am in my 50's ).
    Your battles aren't new and are shared and understood by all of us here in the MFP community.
    This is a walk, not a sprint. A daily journey you will be on for the rest of your life.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Log your food accurately for a week. You don't even have to make any effort to diet, just log accurately.
    After that week, look at your food diary. You'll see something in there that will start some wheels spinning around in your head and you'll decide to start making some changes and it'll be easy from there for you to lose weight. Knowledge really is power, and all you have to do is log accurately and honestly.
  • zarahhendricks6237
    zarahhendricks6237 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel ya hun. I've always been the bigger friend and my weight has been either in an incline or stagnant. It's typically never in a decline. I have the same issue with consistency; however, I do have to say when I push myself to be positive and push myself to be even slightly active, I usually end up wanting more. When you get out of rythym or don't go to the gym, make up for it by going on a short walk. Still do something. This way, you're still being productive. I've started to do this and it's helped tremendously. Weight loss isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. We'll get there. We all just gotta persevere. o:)
  • whineryjnw
    Options
    Thank you all think I'll push myself to start running in the morning
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It takes about two weeks to start making something a habit. Go slow and focus on being active a half hour a day. Start by walking fast and gradually increase the time. Slowly add some running intervals etc.
    Don't think diet but look at it as a lifestyle change. If you are overweight you will need to change the amount of food you eat forever.