Options
2»

Replies

• MJ2victory
    MJ2victory Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I suggest you take it a step further and don't refer to foods as 'healthy'. Food is just food. Eat what you enjoy as long as it fits in your plan.

Good luck.

We'll, not all food is nutritionally equal. It's important to make sure you're eating foods that supply the nutrients your body needs. The foods OP listed are nutrient-dense, which is a good start.

I feel like everyone agrees but is using different words. I use the words "nutritious" or "nutritiously dense" if I'm feeling extra sanctimonious haha. I also use words like "indulgent" or "overly indulgent" to describe foods that I need to eat more in moderation. I HATE when ppl say "good" or "bad" when talking about food. As a fat person, the natural extension of this is that I am bad!!! Which I'm not! just fat :)

Guacamole is an example of a food that's nutritious but also indulgent and I love it! I've been eating it with celery lately as a snack. I have a pretty high daily calorie limit since I weigh a lot so honestly I could easily eat chili cheese fries with ranch (a favorite indulgence) every day and still come in under calories!!! But, since I'm hoping for my clothes to loosen up just a bit, instead of that I go for things like a nice big serving of guac with veggies or full-fat greek yogurt with fruit. I can't do the cold turkey thing and can't feel deprived or I quit!

Love the idea of this post! Wish I had been thinking this way in my dozen or so failed diet attempts throughout the years!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Indulgent and nutrient dense (and some can be both, some can be neither) is pretty much how I think of it too, and I totally agree with the post on acknowledging and enjoying indulgences as helpful when one struggles with mindless and emotional eating (as I do too).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Foods I like and eat everyday:
    Cookies
    Chocolate
    Tea
    Pickles
    Cheese

I'd make a list of foods I could eat everyday but it would take all day.

Well, yes, I like those foods too - except the pickles.

But I would have a problem fitting chocolate, cookies, and cheese into every day, unless very small portions - I think OP's list was more intended to be foods he liked and could eat every day, easy to fit into his allowance.

My list of such foods might be
    bananas
    mandarines
    yoghurt
    weetbix
    coffee

things I like and do fit all of into my day quite often.

I ate an entire chocolate bar everyday during my active losing phase in 2013-2014...I eat cheese almost everyday too...

it's about the serving size and figure out how to make it fit without hurting health and nutrition.

Well, yes, that is what I said - that I couldnt fit all of chocolate, cake and cheese into a single day unless they were very small portions.
    Other people who are more active and on larger calorie allowances may be able to.

Not that I dont fit any of them in at all - a quick look at my diary would dispel that idea.

But I think what OP meant was foods he likes and can easily fit all of into a day.

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    That's really the best bare bones advice you can give someone who is trying to lose weight via altering their diet. It's not going to be a sustainable lifestyle change if you hate it.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    MJ2victory wrote: »
    I suggest you take it a step further and don't refer to foods as 'healthy'. Food is just food. Eat what you enjoy as long as it fits in your plan.

Good luck.

We'll, not all food is nutritionally equal. It's important to make sure you're eating foods that supply the nutrients your body needs. The foods OP listed are nutrient-dense, which is a good start.

I feel like everyone agrees but is using different words. I use the words "nutritious" or "nutritiously dense" if I'm feeling extra sanctimonious haha. I also use words like "indulgent" or "overly indulgent" to describe foods that I need to eat more in moderation.
    I'd like to think so, but I really think the person I was responding to meant that all food is basically the same. OP said he liked certain healthy foods and was going to eat those, and someone took him to task for calling those foods "healthy".

Btw, other people have responded as if OP said he was going to force himself to eat healthy foods he didn't like, which is the opposite of what he said.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tried Greek yogurt, but it gave me the runs. :( awful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Good luck.

I feel like everyone agrees but is using different words. I use the words "nutritious" or "nutritiously dense" if I'm feeling extra sanctimonious haha. I also use words like "indulgent" or "overly indulgent" to describe foods that I need to eat more in moderation.
    I'd like to think so, but I really think the person I was responding to meant that all food is basically the same. OP said he liked certain healthy foods and was going to eat those, and someone took him to task for calling those foods "healthy".

That's not how I read him, specifically in his response to you. (I don't agree -- even though I would argue that diets are healthy, not so much foods out of context -- an avocado when you've overeaten already might not be a good idea, after all -- I call foods healthy all the time and have no issue with it).
    Btw, other people have responded as if OP said he was going to force himself to eat healthy foods he didn't like, which is the opposite of what he said.

Again, pretty sure you are misreading. A TON of people have said they AGREE with OP that there's no reason to eat foods you dislike -- so they didn't think he was saying you should. I didn't see any posts where I'd assume the person thought OP was recommending eating foods you dislike vs. agreeing with him without necessarily saying so specifically.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Agree with OP, it is a set up for failure to try to force yourself to eat food you hate. I have done too many diets where I forced myself to eat certain foods, or worse, eliminated other foods completely. I always failed on these diet "plans." At this point I simply count calories, it's the only thing that works for me. Obviously you have to make "healthier" food choices 90% of the time or you will be hungry all the time but I honestly could not possibly care less about "macros."
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Not exactly...

What I mean(t) was more along the lines of not labeling food. If you call donuts bad, eat one or more, then feel horrible because you did it, your setting yourself up for failure. Donuts are not bad unless they make up most of you calories all the time. Just as carrots are not healthy in any way other than they provide more nutrients than donuts. Eating too many carrots is bad as well.

At least 90% of my diet would probably be considered healthy if I cared to label it. The other 10% would be off the scales bad for you. I drink soda and eat sugar all the time. And if I happen to eat half of a box of donuts one afternoon (it could happen to anybody ;) ) I don't fell awful because I know my overall diet is good.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 OP was distinguishing between healthy foods he likes (which he listed some examples) and healthy foods he doesn't like. If it's demotivating to you to think of certain foods as healthy, that's fine for you. But it doesn't mean no one else can. Many of us find it helpful and motivating to focus on the health-giving properties of some foods. And planning meals based on nutritious foods we like is a good way to improve our health. I doubt you'll find any doctors or scientists who disagree.

No one else was focused on foods to avoid, but since you brought it up, donuts can be detrimental to your health even if they don't make up most of your diet most of the time. For one thing, they tend to crowd out more nutritious food. For another, regularly eating deep-fried foods increases the risk of several bad health conditions, such as cancer. They're OK as an occasional treat, but no one's health is going to suffer if we don't eat them. Conversely, no one on MFP is in danger of eating too many carrots.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to eat foods I don't like (especially at age 61 - life likely is short ;) !). Fortunately, I love lots of nutrient-dense foods. Some things I eat nearly every day:

Oatmeal
    Berries
    Plain Greek Yogurt (hah!)
    Peanut butter
    Walnuts
    Hemp seed
    Flax seed
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Skimmed milk
    Cheese (various kinds)
    Blackstrap molasses

I usually eat 10+ servings of veggies/fruit daily, but vary them a lot - celery, celeriac, avocados, broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, radishes, jicama, carrots, romaine, spinach, sweet peppers, onions, cabbage, sugar snap peas, regular peas, all kinds of beans, garlic, . . . .

Yum.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 OP was distinguishing between healthy foods he likes (which he listed some examples) and healthy foods he doesn't like. If it's demotivating to you to think of certain foods as healthy, that's fine for you. But it doesn't mean no one else can. Many of us find it helpful and motivating to focus on the health-giving properties of some foods. And planning meals based on nutritious foods we like is a good way to improve our health. I doubt you'll find any doctors or scientists who disagree.

No one else was focused on foods to avoid, but since you brought it up, donuts can be detrimental to your health even if they don't make up most of your diet most of the time. For one thing, they tend to crowd out more nutritious food. For another, regularly eating deep-fried foods increases the risk of several bad health conditions, such as cancer. They're OK as an occasional treat, but no one's health is going to suffer if we don't eat them. Conversely, no one on MFP is in danger of eating too many carrots.

Well it is not demotivating to me in any way so we'll just leave it at that. We obviously do not understand what each other is saying. At any rate, I do wish the OP success however they do it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If you;re not eating 8-10 servings of fruits/veggies a day, because "I don't like them" put on your big boy/girl pants and get started eating them. Your health and waistline will thank you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If you;re not eating 8-10 servings of fruits/veggies a day, because "I don't like them" put on your big boy/girl pants and get started eating them. Your health and waistline will thank you.

Probably I'm just lacking in imagination, but I don't really understand how people dislike all vegetables, although someone occasionally asserts that they do. There's such a huge range of flavors and textures - disliking all of them is breathtakingly broad. Even disliking all but 2 or 5 kinds, which you see more often, seems astonishing to me.

Similar reaction to the "hate all exercise" people.

Seems like one might have to really work at it, to hate that many wildly different things. ;)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

giphy.gif