Do you annoy people at the store?

Options

Replies

• nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just didn't like the possibility of having his photo taken? Did you take other photos?

He didnt know I took a picture nor did I take a picture of him. I took a picture of the salmon on the scale to show my friend the mass amount of salmon I was buying.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right, it is his job. Saying that, i always feel guilty when i ask shop keepers to do anything for me, i say thank you and sorry 50 times, because i feel like i'm being a pain in the butt making them do more work than they would have done had i not come in.

You are Australian, yes? I thought only Canadians apologized profusely and unnecessarily. All youse guys are too nice. :)

And us Brits, sorry you bumped into me, sorry I'm crying because I've had a bereavement, sorry I need an ambulance...nice to know we're not the only overly apologetic nation!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    NoraInMt wrote: »
    Maybe he just didn't like the possibility of having his photo taken? Did you take other photos?

He didnt know I took a picture nor did I take a picture of him. I took a picture of the salmon on the scale to show my friend the mass amount of salmon I was buying.

Well, a bit of him - or someone - is in the picture on my screen.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he was just grumpy. I wouldn't let it bother me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm tempted to someday ask the produce manager if he can just sell me half a head of cauliflower.

I've had this done before. They cut it, gave me half and just wrapped up the second half and put it out for sale. I frequently ask the produce people to cut my winter squash in half for me too. And the grocery store by my house sells celery by the stalk, which is AWESOME. I can never use up an entire bunch before it goes bad.

My supermarket sells half cauliflowers, and half and quarter cabbage, as well as celery by the stalk.

Though it does remind me of an old joke:

A man walks into a greengrocer and asks the shop attendant for half a lettuce. The shop attendant says he will have to ask the manager if he can do that. The shop attendant walks out the back and says to the manager "some idiot wants to buy half a lettuce!". He realises the man has followed him out the back and overheard and quickly says "... and this gentleman has offered to buy the other half!"

I said it was old. I never said it was good.

I lol'd :lol:
  • nlwrfa
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you sure he was annoyed or were you just self conscious making the request?

I'm thinking the latter now that you said it and I think back. I'm used to being in the frozen food section picking out pizzas and have never bought anything from the meat counter
  • nlwrfa
    Options
    I'm tempted to someday ask the produce manager if he can just sell me half a head of cauliflower.

I've had this done before. They cut it, gave me half and just wrapped up the second half and put it out for sale. I frequently ask the produce people to cut my winter squash in half for me too. And the grocery store by my house sells celery by the stalk, which is AWESOME. I can never use up an entire bunch before it goes bad.

My supermarket sells half cauliflowers, and half and quarter cabbage, as well as celery by the stalk

That sounds like my kind of store! I hate buying food and it going to waste. Wish we had something like that here. Maybe the farmers market I suppose?
  • Alatariel75
    Options

My supermarket sells half cauliflowers, and half and quarter cabbage, as well as celery by the stalk

That sounds like my kind of store! I hate buying food and it going to waste. Wish we had something like that here. Maybe the farmers market I suppose?

Possibly? Or do you have someone you can go halves with?

On your above post about being self conscious too, I've worked with butchers in many different capacities and a lot of them aren't the most friendly bunch. They're not customer service people, per se - they're kind of like chefs and some (not all, not even most) can feel that the whole customer service thing is a little bit below them. So they can be a bit gruff. My local butcher is used to me making whacky requests and are very happy to oblige, but I feel like a giant pain in the butt every time I ask.
  • nlwrfa
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Alatariel75 I just moved here two months ago for a new job.. call it my early mid life crisis, new place new me. I have been making friends though with those at the gym so maybe they'd be interested. I'm just tired of resorting to frozen veggies.. although as of late I've been buying fresh and making my own freeze bags (corn, broccoli and the such) because it still tastes better than the already frozen bags from the store
  • Christine_72
    Options

Really? You can't even tell what it is, male or female unless I said something. Getting a quarter of his one side of his glasses really doesn't count as a picture. Get a life.. get on Instagram to see what taking a picture of SOMEONE looks like. You can't see me.. but I literally eye rolled so hard I saw my brain.

LOL i didnt even notice the bit of the guys face in the picture until someone pointed it out! My eyes were zoned in on that delicious Salmon :smiley:
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

And the grocery store by my house sells celery by the stalk, which is AWESOME. I can never use up an entire bunch before it goes bad.

SO JEALOUS!!!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The fishfolk at two of the three supermarkets I frequent are generally fighting off a nap in their abandoned corner, LOL. The third is Whole Foods, and they have a good service vibe. However, I try and buy most fresh fish at a local fishmarket and they're great. Meat markets and butcher counter people are usually always very helpful. Odd difference in service culture, land vs. sea critters.

I've pretty much stopped talking to the average shop folk in the market about things requiring decisions or services, since they're not usually in charge of anything but shelf stocking. On the other hand, I'm a frequent responder to the online customer satisfaction survey for the main market I patronize (web survey URL on the register receipt) - such as: "didn't see 'x' today," "why don't you stock the no-salt beef when you stock the regular stock and also no-salt chicken?," "ya know, the herbs/produce need misting, not showers," etc., etc. ...

I get responses most times. Once in a while, things get resolved.
  • nlwrfa
    edited June 2017
    Options

Really? You can't even tell what it is, male or female unless I said something. Getting a quarter of his one side of his glasses really doesn't count as a picture. Get a life.. get on Instagram to see what taking a picture of SOMEONE looks like. You can't see me.. but I literally eye rolled so hard I saw my brain.

LOL i didnt even notice the bit of the guys face in the picture until someone pointed it out! My eyes were zoned in on that delicious Salmon :smiley:

Haha yea I'll have salmon for weeks! I don't mind chicken thighs and I eat steak often, but not always calorie friendly. Been pinning tasty recipes all day on Pinterest to experiment with. Guess I know why I seem hungrier today lol
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    $5.00 a pound is killing me. Salmon is $35 a kilo here.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    $5.00 a pound is killing me. Salmon is $35 a kilo here.

I know! I got a bargain the other day and paid $25 a kilo.
  • nlwrfa
    Options
    Oh my god. I'd be broke! That's an outrageous price
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    No, usually my deli guys annoy me. The one place I go to makes my salad at the speed of death. I gotta go dude!