Eating too much??

crysike
crysike Posts: 8 Member
So this is my 3rd day on macros. A friend helped me set my goals. 1200 cal 110g protien 105g carb and 46g fat. My trouble is the eating. I have to eat so much more and it's uncomfortable. Is this commom?

Replies

• LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    1200 calories is too much?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Are you trying to gain or lose weight?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Whachoo talking bout?
  • crysike
    I'm trying to loose weight.
  • bbell1985
    crysike wrote: »
    I'm trying to loose weight.

Then 1200 calories is not more than you have been eating, it is less.
  • crysike
    I'm used to eating horribly. A cup of fruit in the morning or nothing but coffee. Lunch a salad and dinner 2 tacos or a hamburger... But now I'm eating hearty breakfasts protien filled lunches and dinner. Almost 3 times the amount I was eating. But I'm forcing it to eat reach my protien. I haven't met my calories in all 3 days.
  • bbell1985
    I'm used to eating horribly. A cup of fruit in the morning or nothing but coffee. Lunch a salad and dinner 2 tacos or a hamburger... But now I'm eating hearty breakfasts protien filled lunches and dinner. Almost 3 times the amount I was eating. But I'm forcing it to eat reach my protien. I haven't met my calories in all 3 days.

So add some olive oil to your salad. 1200 calories is very little. If it is the food volume that is making you full, add fat which is more calorie dense per gram than carbs and protein.

Reduce carbs to increase protein.
  • crysike
    I'm 138 5'2 is 105g of protien too much?
  • bbell1985
    I'm 138 5'2 is 105g of protien too much?

No. I'm 138 and shoot for 130-140 grams. Though I'm lower on some days.
  • bbell1985
    You can look at my diary. I ate 1280 today with 105 protein. 1280 is the lowest I'll go calorie wise and I consider it aggressive. Typically I diet more on 1500 calories with much more protein.
  • crysike
    I guess I need to adjust from eating empty calories to filling protien rich calories!
  • bbell1985
    I guess I need to adjust from eating empty calories to filling protien rich calories!

On so little calories, there's not much room for bread or high volume fruits and sugar if you want to hit a decent protein goal. If you raise calories, maybe so. Not everyone needs to eat 1200. I would just put your stats into MFP. Set it so .5 or 1 lb per week rate of loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    It sort of depends one what credentials your friend has for telling you to get 105g protein.
    Generally, 0.8 - 1.0 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass is necessary.

Suppose you want to lose weight and suppose your body fat ratio is 30%. LBM is not in that case 70%. It's less. But I'll use 70% for this demonstration. .7*138 = 96.6. 96 is far more than you need. 105 g might be what you need after doing an hour or two of vigorous cardio exercising each day.

Just let MFP give you the default values for macros. You can adjust them to suit yourself but there's no benefit to you at this stage of your effort in tweaking macros.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Most likely, you don't have to eat that much protein. You are shorter than me, and I never aimed for more than 90 grams per day - now I'm eating around 70, and it's plenty. It's also much easier. It's not that more protein is dangerous - 105 grams isn't very high, it's just that it's unnecessary, and making you struggle.

1200 calories isn't a lot. If you need to lose weight, you've eaten a lot more than that. Tasty, calorie dense food are easier to eat a lot of, so it's often recommended to eat less of that and more low calorie food. But you shouldn't go to the other extreme. Boring high volume food is difficult to eat, and makes it difficult to get in sufficient nutrition/calories. To lose weight, you need to eat less, but you also need to do it for a long time, so do everything you can to avoid burnout.

Another thing is that you have to log correctly. If you pick faulty entries, or log the wrong amount, or skip logging certain items, or forget, or have cheat meals, you can be eating a lot more than you think. Weigh everything, double check entries. Do not use other people's "homemade" foods, use the recipe builder, and don't trust the scanner if you use that function.

Your fat intake is very low. I would reassign some of the protein calories to fat.