Creatine Supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Creatine helps me more with recovery than actual lifting. It also causes me to have a week of initial bloating, constipation...and consistently causes about 3-4lbs weight gain. The ill effects subside in a week...water weight is gone within a week of stopping creatine.

This!! A little bit faster recovery, a little bit heavy lift, more consistent smoother gains in performance.

Great part is the gains remain after you stop using it.
  • AminBahgat
    AminBahgat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Creatine is not useful for power, but it's important for keeping water inside muscle.
    If you are looking for power u have to try pro workout supplements, like c4
  • ruanqn
    ruanqn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Creatine is the best supplement, if you are using it correctly. The cell must have lots of it to have effect, so you must take every day to maintain your cells full of it. You can drink with water or simply eat it at any moment of the day, but the best absorption happens after training.
    Creatine helps the cell recovery in short term because it is able to donate energy to restore the ATP stocks. There are many scientific evidences of the benefits of supplementation with creatine and i have no doubt that is a good investment, but you must maintain your cells full of creatine so it make any effect.

I don't know if I made myself clear (sorry for bad English :( ), but I hope I've helped.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've used it 18 months, can't say it does anything personally. Its cheap as chips though so no big deal but when my current batch runs out don't think i'll purchase anymore.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Creatine may already be found in the foods you're eating.

creatine-in-food.png

For me, as a vegetarian, i see a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in my performance and my recovery with creatine supplementation.

That being said, it does cause bloating, cramping, gas, and some water retention for me. I have to drink significantly more water and avoid any foods that may increase my gas (like beans).

Oh, P.S. I take 3g every day mixed into my BCAA mix.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    For me, as a vegetarian, i see a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in my performance and my recovery with creatine supplementation...

That does make a very significant difference. Vegetarians have very low dietary creatine intake and the results of supplementation are shown to be far more dramatic than in people who have high(er) levels of meat intake in their diets.

I eat a lot of meat, which is perhaps why I don't notice much (if any) difference with creatine supplementation.
  • steve915
    steve915 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been using GNC pro performance creative monohydrate 5000, for about a month now. In my opinion and for me, I have seen noticeable affects in performance and muscle recovery. I take it immediately after my work outs and at least once on non workout days. I mix it in with my whey protein which also helps with recovery. I think it helps me personally. Depends on what your going for I guess. My goal was strength, stamina, muscle growth.. all of which I have been able to achieve with the help of my selected supplements. If you can do without supplements do it, but for me , the added supplements have improved my workout and strength dramatically...DIET,DIET, DIET is first.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I am surprised at the amount of negative feedback on creatine. Although creatine is not a necessity, it's still worth the purchase, I mean it's dirt cheap and if it can help you by 1%, why not?

For me, it was severe stomach cramping, even with 150oz + of water a day.

But i do admit the evidence on creatine is remarkable
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I take creatine mono 5g/day. I notice more muscle endurance, less soreness, strength increase, and more fullness. Love it. 1-2gal water here.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    For me, as a vegetarian, i see a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in my performance and my recovery with creatine supplementation...

That does make a very significant difference. Vegetarians have very low dietary creatine intake and the results of supplementation are shown to be far more dramatic than in people who have high(er) levels of meat intake in their diets.

I eat a lot of meat, which is perhaps why I don't notice much (if any) difference with creatine supplementation.

Interestingly enough, a relevant study (in re: vegetarians vs omnivores) just popped up in my Facebook feed tonight: http://m.jap.physiology.org/content/early/2017/05/25/japplphysiol.00248.2017
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    AminBahgat wrote: »
    Creatine is not useful for power, but it's important for keeping water inside muscle.

Completely incorrect.

There is very strong scientific evidence that creatine increases power output. The intramuscular water retention is more of a side effect than a direct benefit.

Pre-workouts are just CNS stimulants, basically like taking speed before your workout. That's pretty much like saying that meth makes you stronger.

But more energy equals more power in my book. I know that if I have a higher level of energy (from pre work out or any caffeine), I'll be able to lift more weight AND have more endurance, etc..so I think that's what he meant, but maybe I'm wrong, but yes CNS simulants like pre work outs don't directly make you "stronger" they give you energy which helps you go above and beyond and get a kick *kitten* work out.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Creatine may already be found in the foods you're eating.

creatine-in-food.png

For me, as a vegetarian, i see a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in my performance and my recovery with creatine supplementation.

That being said, it does cause bloating, cramping, gas, and some water retention for me. I have to drink significantly more water and avoid any foods that may increase my gas (like beans).

Oh, P.S. I take 3g every day mixed into my BCAA mix.

Awesome post thank you! I knew red meat/beef had Creatine, but didn't know about the other foods!
  • ruanqn
    ruanqn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    AminBahgat wrote: »

Completely incorrect.

There is very strong scientific evidence that creatine increases power output. The intramuscular water retention is more of a side effect than a direct benefit.

Pre-workouts are just CNS stimulants, basically like taking speed before your workout. That's pretty much like saying that meth makes you stronger.

But more energy equals more power in my book. I know that if I have a higher level of energy (from pre work out or any caffeine), I'll be able to lift more weight AND have more endurance, etc..so I think that's what he meant, but maybe I'm wrong, but yes CNS simulants like pre work outs don't directly make you "stronger" they give you energy which helps you go above and beyond and get a kick *kitten* work out.

Actually, caffeine just create an illusion of strength. Of course it will make you more willing, especially if you have had a tiring day, but in the long run it is unsustainable, especially in relation to recovery. In relation to muscle and energy (ATP) caffeine does not bring any benefit or adaptation, and when we talk about bodybuilding, weightlifting, run, or any exercise, we talk about long term adaptation.

Sorry for my bad english.
  • Cecily55
    Cecily55 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take 5 grams creatine each day. Because of allergy problems, I'm on a pretty restricted vegetarian diet. The supplementation with creatine has really made me feel better and replaced all that natural creatine I'd normally get from meat.

As a note, if you have kidney disease, stop the creatine about a week before you go in for labs. The creatine doesn't hurt your kidneys but it does screw up the lab results -- at least that's the word from my nephrologist.
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's basically useless unless you're and endurance athlete. It doesn't "build muscle" like people will have you think, it replenishes ATP which is your bodies primary source of energy. It also has a tedious loading phase of larger dosing. Basically $30 will get you maybe 1-3 extra reps over a few sets with moderate dosing for he average person, every now and then. Anything else is placebo.