Yummy Salad Ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I basically throw whatever fruits and veggies I have in a bowl along with fat free feta and a tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar.
    Today, that made it:
    -Romaine Lettuce
    -1/4 of a tomato
    -1/2 an avacado
    -Handful of greenbeans
    -1/2 granny smith apple
    -Handful of strawberries
    -3 oz of Salmon
    -1 oz feta
    -1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

Altogether it was a pretty big calorie count for a salad (~400) but the avacado has good fats and the salmon will keep me full for a long time.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is: Spinach, strawberries, goat cheese, grilled chicken, pecans(if I have the cal room) with Maple grove FF poppy seed dressing
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    *bump* I would like to know these also! :)
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like having spinach leaves with chicken, slivered almonds, and strawberries. It tastes great without dressing but if you prefer, raspberry vinaigrette works best.

The best salad I ever ate was in Beverly Hills-grilled salmon with spinach, red onions, mushroom, pecans with balsamic dressing. (Haven't gotten around to replicating it yet! :[ )
  • czybura
    czybura Posts: 9
    Options
    I just love adding tons of vegetables to spinach or mixed greens. Some of my favorites are sugar snap peas, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans/ black beans or corn. I also like using frozen peas and jicama too. If you want some sweetness add some fruit: strawberries, blueberries, apple, pear, mandarin oranges.
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    A favorite of mine is almonds, romaine lettuce, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
  • Meg1954
    Meg1954 Posts: 2
    Options
    Salads around our house are simple to complex but always varied. We use different kinds of lettuce--often what is on sale and usually organic:
    *Red or green leaf or Romaine lettuce
    *Spring greens (in bulk)
    *Napa cabbage or purple cabbage or green cabbage, shredded
    *fresh spinach
    *green onions or purple onions, chopped
    *fresh garlic, finely minced or garlic salt (bottled)
    *celery, finely chopped
    *carrots, shredded or finely chopped
    *Jicama, sliced
    *radishes (fresh garden radishes are best)
    *broccoli or cauliflower florets
    *baby okra (fresh from our garden)
    *yellow squash, raw, slivered
    *nuts--almond slivers or walnut pieces or pecan halves or cashews (sparingly as cashews are high cal)
    *lemon or lime juice (squeeze over completed salad and toss)
    We make this in a large bowl and consider it our "base" salad. We make enough for atleast 2 meals. The lemon/lime juice help keep the greens fresh.

Then, we have other ingredients for toppings--several come from our garden. The toppings are never the same but depend on what we have on hand.
    *hard boiled eggs (chopped)
    *grated cheese
    *olives (black or green)
    *pickled beets, sliced or cubed
    *tomatoes
    *cucumber slices
    *thawed salad shrimp
    *avacado slices
    *fruit: raisins, apples, pears, etc., cubed or finely sliced
    *sprouts (homegrown)
    *garbanzo beans, canned (drained and rinsed)

We do not added these toppings directly into the base salad but set them out separately because they would cause the base salad to go bad quickly. It also allows each person to customize their salad.

For dressing we have a variety of things: olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut oil to mix with apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar. We also have bottled dressing for those that prefer--low cal Ranch or Italian.

Salmon salad can also be used as a "topping" on the base salad to make it a complete meal. In fact, depending on which and how many of the toppings you use on the base salad, it can be a complete meal or just a first course salad, which ever you choose.

Changing up the toppings and dressings keeps our salads from being boring.