Graduation/ pasta

rjel78
rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
Over the past 3 weeks I have not went to the gym to focus on my college classes because I was close to graduating. And the hard work paid off because I am now a college graduate (Associates in Business). I am starting back at the gym tomorrow and hope this time it becomes a regular thing.

I have replaced soda with water for 95% of my fluid intake. I will have a diet soda 1-2 times per week only which is quite the change for me.

Nutrition question.....I have heard many people say that pasta and rice is really bad for you and to avoid it at all costs. However, I have also seen many people who have lost weight eating pasta and rice. My question is which one is it - eat rice and pasta or avoid it? Personally I love both (when I eat it) and would love to work it in to my nutrition but if it is that bad for you I will make it a twice a month type of deal.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I eat pasta at least once a week. It's fine. Don't demonize food.
  • evergreenlake
    evergreenlake Posts: 73 Member
    Congrats on graduating! That's some awesome dedication! If you have problems with really starchy-carbs, then try to minimize it, or if you're gluten intolerant stay away from wheat pasta. But there are so many alternatives as well! Still enjoy your rice and pasta, but switch it up with brown rice, whole wheat pasta, and quinoa now and then :)
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2017
    Why not try whole wheat pasta or brown rice sometime? I am now used to these and crave them. They keep me full longer due to a bit more fiber. I also add a can of tomatoes to my prego or ragu sauce to make it chunkier and healthier.
    Some stores are even selling chickpea pasta or black bean pasta.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I ate pasta quite often when losing weight (1-2 times per week). I didn't eat rice that often because I don't care about it, but it would be fine to have also.

I think some people find pasta and rice easy foods to overeat, and some are used to them in preparations (like some kind of restaurant pasta Alfredo dish) that are high cal, but both serve as a great base for a very healthy and low cal meal.

I loved pasta because it was so fast. I'd come home, start boiling some water, measure out my pasta to wait (I'd use the 2 oz serving on the box, usually, unless I was short calories), and then make up some sauce or topping to put on it. I'd put olive oil (not a lot) in a sautee pan, pull out the vegetables I had on hand, whatever was convenient, say today I might sautee some garlic and mushrooms and asparagus and zucchini. I'd add whatever meat was convenient, let's say shrimp, and then maybe add some olives or pine nuts. By that point the pasta would be prepared, and I'd drain it, toss it in the sauce I'd made, and maybe add a bit of cheese (feta has a ton of flavor for just a little). Great, easy, healthy.

On Sundays I might make a pot of meat sauce: I just sautee garlic, onions, peppers, carrots, add and sautee lean ground beef, add crushed or chopped tomatoes plus a bit of tomato paste (fresh tomatoes when in season if you want), and then simmer it all together. For more vegetables, I often would add zucchini and then spinach at the end, too. Fresh oregano or basil if you have it, maybe. Easy, delicious, and it gets better every day.

I enjoy whole wheat pasta, especially with a heartier sauce, but it really makes little difference, IMO.

For rice I'd do a stir fry that's similar -- sauteed vegetables plus some lean meat. My favorite stir fry involves whatever vegetables are around, but I usually use carrots and broccoli, either shrimp or tofu, and then I finish with Japanese 7 spice, which is totally worth trying.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited June 2017
    I would not eat pasta at restaurants though. Some are just calorie bombs. Ex: The Cheesecake Factory Pasta Carbonarra 2,300 calories, 80 grams of saturated fat!!! That is simply NOT WORTH IT. If restaurants are a must, have pasta with red sauce instead.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    You can work it in. I choose not to but if you love it, do it. You must be careful tracking it though...food scale. It should definitely be weighed. A serving is quite small.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It really depends on the specific restaurant and the pasta -- they differ a lot. I'd assume high cal (and log unseen olive oil or butter), and avoid cream sauces if trying to count calories and not have a huge total.

Another thing that varies a ton, though, is portion size. There are some family style Italian places around here that are notorious for insane portion sizes. I just go knowing the meal will be 3 servings minimum if for some reason I have to go to one (I haven't in ages). But lots of small local Italian places, especially higher end, or non Italian specific places with pasta will have reasonable serving sizes or give an option for half servings and will have lighter seeming options. One place I go to occasionally has a delicious side of rapini with lemon that I have tried to copy at home, and with a half order of a pasta (last time I went I had this black ink pasta with shellfish that was yum) it was actually quite reasonable.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    rjel78 wrote: »
    Over the past 3 weeks I have not went to the gym to focus on my college classes because I was close to graduating. And the hard work paid off because I am now a college graduate (Associates in Business). I am starting back at the gym tomorrow and hope this time it becomes a regular thing.

I have replaced soda with water for 95% of my fluid intake. I will have a diet soda 1-2 times per week only which is quite the change for me.

Nutrition question.....I have heard many people say that pasta and rice is really bad for you and to avoid it at all costs. However, I have also seen many people who have lost weight eating pasta and rice. My question is which one is it - eat rice and pasta or avoid it? Personally I love both (when I eat it) and would love to work it in to my nutrition but if it is that bad for you I will make it a twice a month type of deal.

A comment on your self talk - don't "hope" it becomes a regular thing - MAKE it a regular thing.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    If it fits your calories eat it. I have lost my weight eating it on a regular basis In fact it is my go to meal on gym days.

Congrats on graduating
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2017
    Some people have medical reasons to be wary of carbs, such as diabetes. Others may feel more satiated/full eating a low carb/high fat diet. But the truth is, carbs don't matter for weight loss unless you're eating so much of them that you are not eating at a deficit.

You do need to be aware that some foods have more calories than others. A 'serving' of rice or pasta may have a good bit of calories depending on how big your serving is. Also relevant: what you're eating WITH the rice/pasta. Sauces, cheese, oil, etc. But if you're accurately and honestly weighing your food, logging what you have, and eating at a deficit: weight loss happens over time. Meaning accuracy/honesty/patience will get you there.
    rjel78 wrote: »

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I eat rice three to four times a week and then Sara at least one a week and have no issues maintaining or curing weight. There are no bad foods , just bad diets.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat rice three to four times a week and then Sara at least one a week and have no issues maintaining or curing weight. There are no bad foods , just bad diets.

I'm not doing IF, but I am doing One Big Meal...Dinner My dinner is 1600ish calories. 2 angus patties, 1x Broccoli cheesy rice Microwave bag, 1x veggie microwave bag.. + Cheese on the patties. I'm down about 30 pounds.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Here is an article in case you decide to eat pasta at a restaurant. It's almost like restaurants want to kill you.
    http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/fattening-restaurant-pasta-dishes
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

wow, good for you (and sara!)

:D
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I lost 80 lbs, all while eating rice, pasta, bread...all of the goodies. The important thing is to learn how to incorporate those things in moderate amounts to an overall healthy diet. Chicken, rice, and vegetables were a staple lunch for me for quite some time.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    I eat rice or pasta at least 5 days a week. I do practice intermittent fasting so I have one small meal or snack around 200-400 calories and then my main meal of 1100 calories. So its super easy to fit it in my day. I also order rice or pasta out quite often. I just make it fit my macros. If rice and pasta were bad for you, Japan and Italy wouldn't be home to two of the world's healthiest cultures with some of the longest lifespans.