Any ideas for healthy lunches at work? I am sick of salads!

Options
2»

Replies

• marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Well, we don't have much in the kitchen right now, so I've been doing whole grain pbj, but I like these too!

Whole grain bread, cucumber slices, hummus, olive oil, oregano, carrot slices, romaine lettuce, spinach, turkey slices
    Black beans and rice
    Stir fried vegetables, egg, hot dog/chicken/pork with rice
    English muffins Pizza Margherita- english muffin halve, sauce, tomato slice, basil, mozzarella (or any pizza you like)

My husband brings BIG salads, collard greens, hummus and veggies, or anything that happens across his path in the fridge.
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Don't dismiss the frozen dinner :) Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, etc. My favorite work lunches were the Eating Right line by Safeway. They had tons of meals options for around 300 calories, were hot so I felt like I was having a real meal, and super easy to log. The only possible concern was watching my sodium and making sure I got plenty of water. Good Luck :)
  • emeraldpearl
    emeraldpearl Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My girl friend told me if I bring that Stupid dry *kitten* salad one more day, the friendship is ova
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Quesadillas!! Low fat cheese, veggies, lean meats, whole grain tortillas....the possibilities are endless w/ them :)

Love quesadillas, but cheese, even low fat cheese is too high in calories to make a regular part of my diet. Just my $.02! I will occasionally have a homemade pizza with low fat mozz (measured carefully), but only on a workout day.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't dismiss the frozen dinner :) Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, etc.

I do this most days. Lean Cuisine has a great batch of stuff that has no preservatives. Tortilla Crusted Fish, Sweet & Sour Chicken, Garlic Spring Rolls... check out their site - too many to list.

Kashi has also started doing some frozen meals and I have found them quite tasty.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I make sandwiches/wraps at work for lunch. I usually use Arnold's Multigrain Sandwich Thins. I use low sodium deli meat, canned tuna, or home-cooked chicken breast, cheese (usually swiss), Hellman's Light Olive Oil Mayo, baby spinach or boston lettuce, tomato, onion, etc. With my sandwich I have a side or two, generally a fruit (watermelon, apple, pineapple, cantelope, berries, nectarine) and a veggie (cucumber, raw broccoli, celery). Occasionally I'll substitute low-fat cottage cheese for one of my sides if I haven't already had it as a snack for the day. I usually round out my lunch with water, low sodium V8, or lemonade (water + juice from two wedges of lemon + truvia sweetener). Hope this helps! =)
  • mystiloo
    mystiloo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're funny! You DO get bored easily don't you?! Week 2 "I AM SICK OF SALADS"!! LOL! I personally don't eat salads oftenand I get bored VERY easy too. The biggest thing I do is at dinner try to make enough for lunch the next day. That's the easiest lunch and sometimes I won't eat it until the second day so it's "new" again. Not sure what your preferences are but here's a few things I eat.
    Krabmeat Veggies-1/2 a bag of steam fresh brocc/cauli, fake crabmeat, olive oil drizzle, garlic salt and swiss cheese.
    Chili Tuna-mix a can of tuna, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin and a sprinkle of cayenne powder. I put cheese and nuke it and sometimes sourcream.
    Spicy Hummus wrap-put hummus and pepper jack cheese on a wrap and nuke the cheese, roll and eat.
    italian tuna-mix a can of tuna with some spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
    I eat a lot of seafood, I see...
    Buffalo Tuna-mix a can of tuna, some wing sauce and drizzle ranch or blue cheese dressing over it.
    All the tuna stuff can be made into a wrap and is what I usually do. But when I get bored with wraps and TUNA I resort to leftovers...
    That's all I can come up with right now. GOOD LUCK!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Check my weekday lunches in my food diary for ideas. I bring lunch 99% of the time and have come to prefer it by a long shot.

I spend an hour or two cooking lean meats (chicken breast, ground turkey, lean pork) once or twice a month. I promptly cut them into 3 or 4 oz portions using my kitchen scale, put them in snack-size ziplock bags and anything I'm not going to use within 24 hours goes right in the freezer. I take a nice assortment of them to work sealed in one larger ziplock bag. Add my favorite microwave steamable frozen veggies, and sometimes rice or quinoa, and there's a quick easy yummy healthy economical lunch.

One of the reasons I started doing this is to get away from all the sodium in frozen lunches. I cook meat using only herbs - Mrs Dash salt-free seasonings are awesome. There's some sodium in the frozen veggies but nowhere near as much as I was getting from most of the Lean Cuisines and Health Choice meals. I get more food this way for less calories, too!
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines! I've practically lived on them, and I think they taste much better than other brands. Quite a variety to choose from, too.
  • sherrisloan
    sherrisloan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I usually just drink a whey protein shake. Doesn't taste that great, but u get used to it.
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    bump
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    wraps (what I do almost daily), leftovers, sandwiches, protein shakes, frozen dinners, rice & veggies, soups, etc etc.
  • Drea702
    Drea702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I stock my work refrigerator with Smart Ones, I grab bags of baby spinach and salad mix and keep in the refrigerator to change it up a little. Also cans of soups, I have lived on Smart ones for years now lol but I love them and they are typically 250-350 calories. I know they are high on the sodium but at long as I have food at work it keeps me from the drive thrus!
  • kimphillips36
    Options
    These are all great ideas!! :smile:
  • MiaMcBetty
    MiaMcBetty Posts: 45
    Options
    You could try making a batch of yummy soup on a Sunday and taking it for lunches during the week..

Or I personally love this recipe, it's so yum for lunch!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17399/spicy+lentil+patties+with+pita
  • missbeccaanne
    Options
    I love the Near East boxes, I make them and split them into tupperwares of individual servings so I get about three from each box, they are around 200 cal a serving and have a bunch of different ones. I really like the couscous and wild mushroom or the rice pilaf with lentils.