You're over your calorie limit after lunch - what do YOU do?

Options

Replies

• ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    1 day wont hurt, but I would usually try and eat something light for dinner, drink tons of water, and workout to help burn off some of the calories. Dont beat yourself up about it though :)
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I would eat a normal dinner, get in a little extra workout if you have time (but not a kill-yourself type -- just a moderate one), and get back to normal tomorrow. One day isn't going to ruin your week, and chances are you probably didn't even go over maintenance calories, so it won't make you gain (maybe some water weight if your meal was high in sodium, but that doesn't count). Don't freak out about it. Just carry on as normal.
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Have a normal dinner - nothing huge, just what you would normally have :) Like you said, what's done is done. The best thing you can do is get back on track with your next meal. One splurge meal with your daughter won't throw you off track. As far as exercise goes, just keep on with your normal schedule.

This! No shame in going over your calories. There is a built in deficit and the worst that can happen is that you have less of one. Whatever you choose, don't skip a meal.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It really would depend on how I'd been doing the days previous to the "blown" day. If I'd been really good, I'd just chalk it up to a good time and move on. I might hit the exercise bike or the sidewalks for an extra 20 minutes to help burn off a few more calories, and I might not depending on my free time that evening.

If I knew I'd been going over recently, I'd probably eat a very small dinner full of veggies and lean protein and get in that extra workout time with a very small snack after the workout so I wouldn't be ravenous later that night.

I'm of the mind that I'm doing this as a lifestyle. Special times with families happen and are a normal part of my life. I don't want to miss them or not enjoy myself because I might not lose 1/2 pound this week.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. I just make sure I eat a VERY NUTRITIOUS dinner (because overeating calories ALWAYS makes me hungrier than I would be normally) and eat within 'normal parameters' for the next couple of days or so for sure.

I then think over what I WILL do differently if a similar situtation occurs. Sometimes, the answer is: "it's unavoidable" and sometimes I have been able to zigzag my calories ahead of time to accommodate a special occasion or make better choices.

If I learn something new about how to handle these types of situations I consider it a success and move on. Good Luck!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Have a normal dinner - nothing huge, just what you would normally have :) Like you said, what's done is done. The best thing you can do is get back on track with your next meal. One splurge meal with your daughter won't throw you off track. As far as exercise goes, just keep on with your normal schedule.

This.

In the past, I have been guilty of really all or nothing type thinking. If I blew a meal, the whole day was blown, and heck, maybe the whole week was blown too.

One of the things that I'm working on is just accepting that this is a life long process. I kind of blew it at a special dinner at my parent's house last night, but instead of letting that set me off course for days or weeks, I'm just back to it today. I think that's what you have to do - just accept that what's done is done, and move forward in a healthy normal way.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Have a healthy semi-low calorie dinner tonight and get your regular amount of exercise. Maybe tomorrow (and the next) try to have some calories left over. Make it balance for the week --- not for the day!
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Smart people!!! Seems you got affirmation about dinner. Light with lots of water and knowing you enjoyed lunch with your daughter!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It is not called cheating, it is called living! We all will have times in our life that we will live...a piece of birthday cake, an ice cream sundae or a glass of wine. The goal here is to become more aware of what and how you eat, so day to day you make good choices. The goal is to not deprive yourself of a treat every now or then; there is no way you can live life without having a special meal or a piece of cake ever again.
    Enjoy your special lunch...eat a normal dinner that is on your new lifesyle eating plan, drink water and tomorrow go back to your day to day. Don't weigh yourself tomorrow, sometimes over endulging will cause a temporary water weight gain which might upset you.

Enjoy your time with your daughter...they grow up way to fast!
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You all are great - thanks for the "keep your chin up" motivation and the suggestions - especially the water, I forget about that. :smile:

This was just one of those days - a VERY sincere thank you to everyone and the help and support you offer!

J~
  • missbeccaanne
    Options
    Well I am new to mfp but this has happened to me a few times, I am still getting used to the whole counting bit. So when I go way over I try to burn off some calories and eat a light dinner. I don't find salad very filling but I love some steamed veggies and I'll do like a half cup of rice and really focus on being good for the next couple days so I feel like it kinda cancels out.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Have a reg dinner, burn some extra calories move move move !!
    and start over tomorrow
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would work out after work as usual and thereby earn another 500 (my usual) calories. Then I'd eat my usual dinner and not worry about it. Sometimes I go over. No biggie.
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make a nice chunky vegetable soup......keep low on the salt, flavour with herbs/garlic, and don't worry about it. It's not like you are doing it daily!! Lifestyle change.....does not stop you having a high calorie meal once for a special occasion!! Lifestyle change means your'e not having a high calorie/unhealthy meal every day.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't go over my goal calories hardly ever. But the few times I did I was still far from my maintenance calories, so I didn't sweat it.

In your shoes I'd try to fit in a decent workout and then have a really light dinner. Like a salad and a protein shake. I'd aim for filling on as few calories as possible.
  • 0ddThomas
    0ddThomas Posts: 2
    Options
    Depends on the mood I'm in!

Sometimes I'll go for a long enough run to give me enough calorie allowance to have a decent meal while other times, I'll just think of it as a once-in-a-while treat and eat as normal, then get back on track the next day ... which is something I did recently when I went to see Harry Potter and ended up with half a kilo of pick-and-mix sweets!!

Don't forget, if your aim is to lose weight then your calorie allowance on here is probably lower than your BMR, so just because you're over your weight loss allowance, doesn't mean you're over what you need when resting :-)

Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a little treat from time to time - it helps keep the cravings in check :-)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that exact thing happen, but in similar situations I do a lot of exercise in the evening to balance it out.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would lift lots of heavy stuff and get a modest calorie burn but create some stimulus for muscle growth. Then I would eat a massive dinner full of fibrous veggies a decent amount of protein. (but still relatively low cal) Something like scrambled eggs with tuna/veggies.
  • Princessa1982
    Options
    I would say, well, I had a great lunch with my daughter, I have lost 44lbs already, am healthier than ever and move on. I would continue my day as normal (if you do not eat or just eat really low cal then your matabolism will slow down)

Hold your head up, cut your losses and move on. I actually have this theory (and it is probably crap, but for me it makes sense and seems to be working) Every now and then you NEED to trick your body and vary from your cals and normal eating habits. If it gets used to the same old every single day, it is not going to work to its maximum abilities.

Personally, one day a week I do not log. I generally stick to my normal healthy diet plan, BUT for 1 meal or so I eat whatever I want without even looking or caring what is on the nutrition labels! If you feel guilty or off about enjoying a nice yummy meal out on rare occasion , then you are not having quality of life as well!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

8003262.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I will agree here. I went over my cals by 800 last night. Not something I do at all on the norm, but hubby wanted a milk shake and I just wanted one so bad! It's gonna have to last me a while, that fix, cuz I am not doing it again !! Just dust off and move on.