Any thoughts on Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
ecsmelser
ecsmelser Posts: 2 Member
I'm just starting this journey. 34 year old ex competitive gymnast and cheerleader here 224 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. This is mainly contributed to my eating habits and career change to a desk job. Not excuses, just truth. My goal weight is 200lbs.
Does anyone have thoughts/experience on Meal Replacement Shakes? I have done some research and think I have found one that works for my situation. Ill only be using it as a jump start to my weight loss as well as while I'm getting used to cooking and shopping healthy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Jump starts are neither necessary nor effective. If you think healthy cooking and shopping is difficult, I would focus on learning about that, instead of buying and drinking shakes. When you're counting calories, you can eat anything you want. To stick to your calories, you have to eat what you want, or you'll burn out. If you want meal replacement shakes, have them, but think through what it is about meals that makes you think you should replace them.
  • ecsmelser
    ecsmelser Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I suppose I should have worded it differently. I don't think shopping or cooking healthy is difficult. Its more changing bad habits, which has proven difficult for me. But hey, if it wasn't difficult, it wouldn't be worth it, right?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A lot of meaningful things are worth an effort. Working to change bad habits is indeed meaningful. I think it's smart to just start on that, and not take the detour with shakes. Sometimes our habits just need a few gentle nudges. When you feel your quality of life improves, it will be so rewarding, and it's great fun to see how many little habits can line up to form efficient and powerful routines.
  • curvylicious369
    curvylicious369 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like premier protein shakes. They're low carb and have like 30g protein. Sams club has them the cheapest that I've found. They come in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, banana, and caramel
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you're just thinking of using them as a transition thing, I have to wonder why. Why get used to one new thing, only to then have to transition again? Why not just start doing what you plan to do, long term? Breakfasts and lunches are easy to make calorie-goal friendly and simple.

I've tried them and a) they didn't teach me any good habits and b) I got super sick of having 2 of my meals be a shake - ie sweet. I missed normal, savoury food.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them. :)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to have something on hand that you can have just to grab while you adjust to cooking and eating how you want... I don't see anything wrong with meal replacement shakes but I typically don't replace my whole meal with one. I sometimes find myself in a rush so I'll grab something lowish calories like a Wendy's chilli, or english muffin with cold cut sandwich and then pair it with a GNC lean shake or something like that. As long as you're tracking and your overall calories are less than you burn, it makes 0 difference how you get those calories so keep that in mind.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and "replace" lunch with a protein shake (1c chocolate milk, 1c coffee, 1 scoop whey isolate)...I find it filling and it has less calories than most actual meal replacement shakes I've seen.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You may find that drinking your calories is way less satisfying, leaving you to crave snacks (and going over).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    They'll work better in a situation where you don't have the time to eat food rather than not having the time to shop/pre-prepare it.
  • Goldstr324
    Goldstr324 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love my meal replacement shakes! I use Isagenix- 240 calories and 24g undenatured whey protein. They also have their 'pro' shakes that have 36g of protein per shake. I lost 35lbs and 55" overall and have maintained now for a year
  • JASONSEIG
    JASONSEIG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Milk. It genuinely seems to fill me and keep me full, depending on when I take it. I will drink one after the gym on my way home to sleep in the morning( after work) and I do not wake up hungry during the day.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather eat my calories than drink them. :)

This applies to me as well. Quality shakes smoothies are great to refuel after long workouts, but do little for my hunger. The right protein bars, some fruit, milk, and a few others can get me through a meal when needed.

But if a shake keeps other people from otherwise eating less healthy choices or eating too much then it could be a good option. It's just not an option that usually works for me.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and "replace" lunch with a protein shake (1c chocolate milk, 1c coffee, 1 scoop whey isolate)...I find it filling and it has less calories than most actual meal replacement shakes I've seen.

They have less calories because meal replacements are intended for just that, to provide adequate nutrition when you don't eat a meal, whereas protein shakes are intended to supplement your diet to increase your protein intake not to replace a meal.
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink core power protein shakes but not as a replacement. I find that drinking my calories does not at all satisfy my feelings of hunger, so I don't use it as a meal. I just use shakes as a suppliment to my diet.
  • PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have tried Shakeology, ItWorks and Isagenix. I currently use Isagenix. It's my favorite. I have also tried several over the counter, but I'm pretty picky about taste!

There are a lot of quality shakes out there right now whether you go through one of the network marketing companies or you local grocery store. The key is finding something that you feel good about and that you like the taste.