• bluepanda512
    bluepanda512 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    me too.. I would like to join .. aim to stay under 50g carbs
  • nhoffman7788
    nhoffman7788 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

keto is called low carb high fat for a reason. its not low carb,moderate fat, its not low carb high protein either.its low carb,moderate protein and the rest fat which its stated at least 60% of a keto diet should be fat.you do know that protein is converted into glucose? ketosis is what happens when you dont get enough carbs to be broken down into glucose so your body runs on the fat and that helps it to produce the ketones. There is a difference between keto/low carb.[/quote]

I know it's referred to as a low carb/high fat diet. However, you do not need to follow the general macro 60-65% of fat to make this diet work. When I did my weight loss on this diet I only paid attention to my carbs, protein, and most importantly calories. I lost 140 pounds in six months sticking to the diet and exercising. I can guarantee you if you happen to go over your protein you're not going to set yourself back. My highest recommendation to anyone on this diet is do not make it any more complicated than it needs to be.
  • Ejcejcejc
    Ejcejcejc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Isn't it really about net carbs and not just carbs? If you are trying to get into and stay in ketosis, I recommend changing your settings so you are tracking carbs and fiber. (IMHO, if you aren't eating processed food drop to sodium column).
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low-glycemic, then adjusted net carbs down under 50g and fat up. Lost a few more pounds. My aim is to try for ketosis, so earlier this week I adjusted net carbs down to 25g and fat further up (protein holding steady at 60g +/-10) while incorporating IF (intermittent fasting) and 1/4tsp of high quality mineral salt daily.

The IF and the salt is something I learned from LCHF Group. I highly recommend joining, because what I have learned has made IF and 25g net carbs so much easier than when I tried a few years ago.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    more low-carb and high-fat MFP found under other headings, such as: paleo, LCHF, and more.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

keto is called low carb high fat for a reason. its not low carb,moderate fat, its not low carb high protein either.its low carb,moderate protein and the rest fat which its stated at least 60% of a keto diet should be fat.you do know that protein is converted into glucose? ketosis is what happens when you dont get enough carbs to be broken down into glucose so your body runs on the fat and that helps it to produce the ketones. There is a difference between keto/low carb.[/quote]

I know it's referred to as a low carb/high fat diet. However, you do not need to follow the general macro 60-65% of fat to make this diet work. When I did my weight loss on this diet I only paid attention to my carbs, protein, and most importantly calories. I lost 140 pounds in six months sticking to the diet and exercising. I can guarantee you if you happen to go over your protein you're not going to set yourself back. My highest recommendation to anyone on this diet is do not make it any more complicated than it needs to be. [/quote]

you lost weight because you were in a deficit of calories,thats how it works no matter what way of eating you do. keto is not a special way to lose weight. and for the fat macros they can range from 60-80% some do 90%,which IMO would be hard to do but.if you are paying attention to macros then you are basically counting calories.
  • Colectable93
    Colectable93 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I thought the whole Idea of keto was low carbs, high fat, medium protein. I started the Atkins Induction with real carbs not net carbs 14 days ago, down 9 pds, 12 inches and down in body fat and up in muscle. Then yesterday I transitioned to the New Atkins using net carbs, only adding one type of new carb per day so I can make sure I stay in ketosis and know what kicks me out if it does. But I have read, the more fats the better, is that correct? I found some recipes for Fat bombs and had one yesterday it was delicious but do not want to use those to increase my fat if that is wrong. Any one know if the more fat the better?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I thought the whole Idea of keto was low carbs, high fat, medium protein. I started the Atkins Induction with real carbs not net carbs 14 days ago, down 9 pds, 12 inches and down in body fat and up in muscle. Then yesterday I transitioned to the New Atkins using net carbs, only adding one type of new carb per day so I can make sure I stay in ketosis and know what kicks me out if it does. But I have read, the more fats the better, is that correct? I found some recipes for Fat bombs and had one yesterday it was delicious but do not want to use those to increase my fat if that is wrong. Any one know if the more fat the better?

as for the fat percentages its going to vary per person some will do 60% some more. you have to find where you feel more satiated. and if you are losing weight,its very hard for a woman to gain muscle even in a surplus. are you weight lifting/resistance training? if you just started a lot of the weight loss is water retention and glycogen. if you want to increase the healthy fats go ahead and see how it makes you feel. to make sure you stay in ketosis you need to have less than 50g net of carbs but most do 25 net grams or less. eating more carbs could knock you out of ketosis. some fruits and veggies have higher carbs than others so focus in the amount of carbs and you should stay in ketosis.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Phatcat313 wrote: »
    Looking for people who are going keto

I'm keto but low fat. I lose better this way.

low fat isnt keto. if you are eating low carbs you need something to fuel your body,which is where the high fat comes in.

Not necessarily, although I assume she meant eating lower fat in terms of the keto diet. Keto is simply just eating x amount of carbs, so the body goes into ketosis. Some people will simply just increase protein intake, while decreasing their fat intake on keto. Tends to help those who are active, and it can help if you're trying to shave a few extra calories, as fatty foods are more calorie dense.

I am following a diet that puts me in ketosis. It's very low carbs and also low fat.
  • inkdbykate
    inkdbykate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to the keto lifestyle and today is day 1! I would like to lose about 60 lbs and I know its going to be a challenge for me--major sweet tooth and huge carbohydrate junkie here. So I am anticipating that famous "keto flu" over the next week or so. What did you do to help you get through it (flu) with the drastic drop in carb intake? I would love some keto pals to help hold me accountable! After three kids I managed to get back to my pre-baby weight back in 2012, but I've had two littles since then and between both pregnancies I managed to gain 60 lbs and keep it. I do have a question though about macros. I've heard some like to track macros, and others say just to listen to your body. Stop eating when you're full, and only eat when hungry, etc. --while not bothering with macros. I feel like tracking macros at first would probably be best to help guide myself into proper nutrition balance for the keto diet, but do you find that after a few weeks you get the hang of it and no longer need to be stringent with macros (i.e weighing food and tracking grams)? I used the keto gains calculator. After plugging in my information I ended up with a TDEE of 2006, with a Calorie intake of approx 1505 calories, 5% carbs (19g) 60% Fat (100g) and 35% protein (131g). Does that sound right? I'm also epileptic so Im hopeful the Keto lifestyle will help me there as well!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »

low fat isnt keto. if you are eating low carbs you need something to fuel your body,which is where the high fat comes in.

Not necessarily, although I assume she meant eating lower fat in terms of the keto diet. Keto is simply just eating x amount of carbs, so the body goes into ketosis. Some people will simply just increase protein intake, while decreasing their fat intake on keto. Tends to help those who are active, and it can help if you're trying to shave a few extra calories, as fatty foods are more calorie dense.

I am following a diet that puts me in ketosis. It's very low carbs and also low fat.

why are you doing low fat and how low is low? if you are doing very low carb your body needs something to break down into energy. if you arent using fat for energy then I would think that your body would start breaking down muscle for energy,it has to come from somewhere.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    inkdbykate wrote: »
    Hello! I am new to the keto lifestyle and today is day 1! I would like to lose about 60 lbs and I know its going to be a challenge for me--major sweet tooth and huge carbohydrate junkie here. So I am anticipating that famous "keto flu" over the next week or so. What did you do to help you get through it (flu) with the drastic drop in carb intake? I would love some keto pals to help hold me accountable! After three kids I managed to get back to my pre-baby weight back in 2012, but I've had two littles since then and between both pregnancies I managed to gain 60 lbs and keep it. I do have a question though about macros. I've heard some like to track macros, and others say just to listen to your body. Stop eating when you're full, and only eat when hungry, etc. --while not bothering with macros. I feel like tracking macros at first would probably be best to help guide myself into proper nutrition balance for the keto diet, but do you find that after a few weeks you get the hang of it and no longer need to be stringent with macros (i.e weighing food and tracking grams)? I used the keto gains calculator. After plugging in my information I ended up with a TDEE of 2006, with a Calorie intake of approx 1505 calories, 5% carbs (19g) 60% Fat (100g) and 35% protein (131g). Does that sound right? I'm also epileptic so Im hopeful the Keto lifestyle will help me there as well!

for keto you will need to track your macros so you know how many carbs you are getting, to lose weight you also need to be in a deficit. for some eating when hungry can lead to overeating and even in ketosis you can gain weight if you eat too much. for keto flu or to avoid it up your sodium to 3500-5000mg a day, and make sure you are getting enough magnesium and potassium. broth,pickle juice, anything higher in sodium can help prevent the flu,you may still get it but it may not be as bad.
  • skhanzo86
    skhanzo86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Keto! Started May 30! As of today I am down 11 pounds!! I need to loose another 15 before people will notice tho. Keep up the Keto everyone!!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options

why are you doing low fat and how low is low? if you are doing very low carb your body needs something to break down into energy. if you arent using fat for energy then I would think that your body would start breaking down muscle for energy,it has to come from somewhere.

I'm following a very strict, very short term plan called Protein Sparing Modified Fast, PSMF. There are a few different versions of it, I'm on it through the Cleveland Clinic. It's basically a short term, VLC diet that provides enough protein to prevent muscle loss, but is low enough in calories to cause rapid weight loss. Rather than burn carbs or muscle, people on it burn stored fat. As far as how much fat per day, it can vary. The target is 20-30 grams, but going as high as 60 every so often isn't bad, as long as it doesn't stop ketosis.

I don't recommend this diet as a "first try" or for any length of time without doctor supervision, but I need to get some significant weight off quickly, and after trying many different things, this is what is working.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Started Keto in January down 33 lbs. Any diet where I can eat my favorite food: chicken wings - and lose weight effortlessly is for me!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I'm following a very strict, very short term plan called Protein Sparing Modified Fast, PSMF. There are a few different versions of it, I'm on it through the Cleveland Clinic. It's basically a short term, VLC diet that provides enough protein to prevent muscle loss, but is low enough in calories to cause rapid weight loss. Rather than burn carbs or muscle, people on it burn stored fat. As far as how much fat per day, it can vary. The target is 20-30 grams, but going as high as 60 every so often isn't bad, as long as it doesn't stop ketosis.

I don't recommend this diet as a "first try" or for any length of time without doctor supervision, but I need to get some significant weight off quickly, and after trying many different things, this is what is working.

you do know that you dont burn a lot of fat per day? no matter how you eat. your body can only burn so much fat a day. eating I dont know how going low fat is going to accomplish that but as long as you are under a drs care then at least you have that in check and they can monitor you.