Any way to log "Walking - 3.25mph pace" if that entry doesn't exist?

Options
smrybacki
smrybacki Posts: 78 Member
Searching the exercises I can choose walking at 3.0mph or 3.5mph, but my actual pace is 3.25mph which is not available. Any way to log that some how, or otherwise fudge the numbers to make it equivalent?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like fudge!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have done it by using the mapmywalk app.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    log 3 till you get faster. play it safe. calorie burn is a tricky mistress.
  • smrybacki
    Options
    I like fudge!

Me too.
    brookielaw wrote: »
    I have done it by using the mapmywalk app.

I really don't want to get into "app-ing" the crap out of my health efforts anymore. MFPreally does have anything you'd actually need to track your food and exercise (except of course 3.25mphg walks lol). Seriously though, I work in a secured area and I can't have my FitBit anymore. After the initial withdrawel, I remembered that I had once dropped 40 pounds back in 1988 with only my mind, my feet and a watch lol

In any event, I appreciate the thought.
  • smrybacki
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    log 3 till you get faster. play it safe. calorie burn is a tricky mistress.

That's just what I did. I'd rather guess low than high on calories burned walking. I was just curious if anyone else noticed this and had a decent work around. Thanks.
  • DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I use MapMyWalk when I walk to get an accurate record of distance walked and how long I walked, and then I plug that info into a pace calculator (http://www.calculator.net/pace-calculator.html). I get all kinds of wonky paces like "2.96mph" or "3.14mph"--lol. I usually round down to play it on the safe side.
  • sunshineraej
    sunshineraej Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I just log the slower pace and add a little extra time to it, to make up for it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I pick one and "adjust" my time so that the distance comes out right. See also my complaint about this very issue here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10564409/recording-running-or-walking#latest
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Pace doesn't really have a big effect on calorie burn for walking anyway.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Look at how many cals you would burn doing 60 min at 3, then 60 at 3.5.
    The midway difference is your 3.25.
    Go into cardio/exercise and find 'make a new exercise'
    Title yours 'walking 3.25'
    Where it says time enter 60
    Where it says cal burn put in the midway number
    Hit save.
    You will get a pop up telling you your exercise has been saved.
    From now on you can find it under 'my exercises' it will adjust for any time span you walk at that speed.

(Just did it to see if that was a work around. Took no time at all)

Cheers, h.
  • texteach66
    texteach66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo to track my walking, then let it tell MFP.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    May sound silly, but if I walk say 6 miles at 3.25 mph, I log 3 miles at 3 mph and 3 miles at 3.5 mph.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    You can create an exercise and add it to the database, but you'll have to tell MFP how many calories you burned. (When you search for "walking, 3.25 mph" and no result is found, there should be an option at the bottom of the page for adding an exercise to the database. This is what I see using the website. I don't know if the apps offer the same option.)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I just discovered I usually walk at 2.88 mph... sigh. (My buddy and I were walking in a park with a 400 meter track and we made a circuit every 5 minutes. Give or take. My watch has no seconds counter.) At least I've been tracking at 2.5, so I know I haven't been going over my exercise calories.