Why sedentary?

Options
I have an hr charge Fitbit. I am lightly active when I am not working out or walking for excercise. On a day that I'm not working out I may get 3,000-7,000 steps. If I'm excercising I may have 10,000-14,000 steps. I see that many people set their activity level to sedentary even when they are not. Is this just a personal preference or is their a benefit to weight loss doing this?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The idea is to let MFP calculate your base ("sedentary") calorie needs, then adding calories for exercise, which could vary over time.

You can, if you like, up your level of activity (essentially, just adding more daily calories) to cover your average needs, including all activities, and see how that affects your weight, adjusting as necessary. Some people call this the TDEE method, but whatever you call it, it's just another way to control your intake to a level where you lose, maintain, or gain, depending on your goal.
  • holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Does it not make those adjustments on any activity level?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of people don't know what they're doing. Because a lot of people think it's the "safest" way to go regardless of whether they're sedentary or not. Because a lot of people put sedentary and then log deliberate activity that goes beyond that setting and get additional calories for that activity.

If you put sedentary and you're not, you are going to get less calories than if you put light active...that may or may not be a benefit where weight loss is concerned. Too large a deficit isn't a good thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    holderh1 wrote: »

Only if your activity goes beyond that activity level...if it's below your stated activity level, you will get negative adjustments.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary because my activity level varies. Most days I do over 12000 steps but because of medical problems some days it will be under 3000.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll hit the nail on the head for my personal choice. I set to sedentary and add my activity level and exercise in through fitness tracker.

It helps me better understand how to hit my net calorie goal for the day, without drastically overestimating my calorie burn from activity and exercise.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

It does. For people who do their exercise in the evening, this can result (on higher activity levels) in large negative adjustments through most of the day. That doesn't really matter because it all works out in the end, but many people find it disconcerting.

Also, activity levels are based primarily on your job. Many people have sedentary deal jobs even if they're active outside of work. Again, it really doesn't make a difference if you use and sync a tracker.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Only if your activity goes beyond that activity level...if it's below your stated activity level, you will get negative adjustments.
    I think negative calorie adjustments are only available with premium membership.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think negative calorie adjustments are only available with premium membership.

Nope, I'm on a free account and I can see them.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Nope, you just have to go into your diary settings and allow negative adjustments. Personally, I don't like them.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Options

Nope, I'm on a free account and I can see them.
    Ahh. I stand corrected.
  • daniellemichellecowger
    daniellemichellecowger Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary at first. I am 5'3" and 172 lbs, and then MFP gave me 1200 calories. I am just a stay at home mom and I try to be up and walking or of course, carrying the baby around. Some days, I'm more inactive though.
    I started focusing on eating more protien while making it within my goals and I started loosing about 3 lbs a week! I was feeling so drained and miserable though.
    After reading a bunch of these threads I have come to accept that losing weight slower is "better". And a little progress is still progress.
    I changed my lever to lightly active, losing 2lbs per week and I'm eating 1350 calories a day. I've been feeling loads better.
    What I'm saying is, just listen to your body! See what your body does over a month and a half and then make adjustments! You have to find out what works for you.
    *Edit for my spelling
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    While picking a more accurate MFP activity level so the corrections based on Fitbit are smaller might help planning the day better - how many days does it take to figure out that you are usually 300-400 more easily on adjustments, and plan the day anyway? (or whatever the amount is)

The other reason for Sedentary over a more accurate level, is the end of day math that goes on.

MFP is taking the last Fitbit sync for daily calories up to that point, and then estimating rest of the day based on it's own activity level, so sedentary is 1.25 x BMR, lightly-active is 1.4 x BMR, ect.

Well, if your day of being active ends at say 8pm plopping on couch and then bedtime, and you eat to the goal calories at that point, that's 4 hrs of estimated time at a burn rate higher than what Fitbit is going to report the next morning, which is basically BMR level burn.

So if you met goal at 8pm, by next morning on MFP correction, you'll actually show as over goal calories eaten.

But again, if this is about the same time - that amount of adjustments is always about the same - so you just leave that much in the green uneaten.
    Can still plan it decently enough.

Probably the worse reason most do sedentary - is because of the general misguided advice to always start at sedentary anyway, activity tracker or not being used, by people that don't understand what the levels mean.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Because mfp won't do a negative adjustment if your goal is 1200. If I leave myself at sedentary, I have a larger adjustment but sometimes it's 7 or 12 (vs the -200 mfp won't do because it would put me under 1200). This way it all balances out for the week and I can just eat to my calories remaining for the day and don't have to worry about phantom negative adjustments that didn't happen (leading to eating more than I should for the week as a whole). Sounds complicated but really it's not. It's not hurting anything. its giving me a larger adjustment but actually fewer calories (which is more correct).
  • holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I set mine to sedentary because my activity level varies. Most days I do over 12000 steps but because of medical problems some days it will be under 3000.

Do you set it this way just because you don't want to see negative adjustments?

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.