Strength Training

Options
I have been using this app for a week and have been loving it. I have been reaching my goal of 10000 daily steps (if not more). Now I would like to add some strength training too. Can someone please help me with the following questions I have ....
(I'm on the set fat 20 , protein 30 and carb 50 with 1200 daily cal)
Do I need to up my protein when doing strength training?
Does anybody know a u tube chanel that is good that I can watch and follow when wanting to do strength training at home?
I have hand weights...how can I incorporate these?
Is there some type of universal strength starting plan?
I am really new to this aspect of working out, so any advice or guidance anyone could give me would be fantastic!!
Cheers in advance ! :)

Replies

• Christine_2017
    Christine_2017 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Lurking with interest as this is my plan and aim too! Currently doing C25K but I think I need to add some strength
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Try Hasfit on you tube! They have some great strength training routines
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXIJ2-RSIGn53HA-x9RDevA
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Protein is good. i'd swap some carbs for protein. 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

Look up body weight programs and you can find some to follow. google is your friend.

Weight training is crucial. running is good..but the cal burn stops when the run is over. weight training gets the benefit of some additional burn after your stop. plus building muscle will allow a higher calorie maintenance level all the time. win win. so with more muscle, you burn more cals just watching tv. who doesn't want that?

Strongly encourage incorporating weight training. be best if you can do that in a gym or somewhere you can progressively add weights to increase strength. but if that is to much at this phase...any body weight exercise programs are better than nothing at all.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    My opinion is to go for 25-30% of calories from protein but not more. Protein is a bad energy source, and your body can't do much with an overabundance of protein other than try to burn it. The rest should be from good carbs and fats. Don't be afraid to drop carbs and eat more high-quality fats (nuts, cheese, olive oil, etc.), particularly when you are trying to cut.

As for fitness routines, I have used a few from popsugar on YouTube. They have a wide variety.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I do Beachbody. You pay for it, but for me I feel its worth it. I tried youtube, hasfit and others, but P90x3 is the one that got me hooked. It sound stupid, but I need to look at something that's well produced. Same with video games, I don't get how anyone can do Minecraft for more than 30 seconds lol!
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    I do Beachbody. You pay for it, but for me I feel its worth it. I tried youtube, hasfit and others, but P90x3 is the one that got me hooked. It sound stupid, but I need to look at something that's well produced. Same with video games, I don't get how anyone can do Minecraft for more than 30 seconds lol!

I would play Minecraft for 30 hours if I could get away with it. Luckily for me my wife cares about me to much to let me haha.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

There are MFP users who recommend 1g per lb lean mass, there are MFP users who say that figure is 3 or 4 times too much. It's a contentions topic but I'll state that I'm in the 1g per lb camp and leave it at that ;)
    Does anybody know a u tube chanel that is good that I can watch and follow when wanting to do strength training at home?

Check out Fitness Blender for free dumbell strength routines but you will find that eventually you'll want to up the weight and probably use a barbell (awesome by the way!!)

this thread contains a lot of information on strenght routines and programs http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

but, most of the plans require access to a range of equipment usually only found in gyms or well equipped home set ups (benches and racks/safety gear for the weights for example). But, we all started somewhere and you can do a lot with dumbells, your own body weight, and the right attitude so get to it!

• Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Haha! And I just.....can't. Now I can look at FFXIV for weeks! And I think that's how the home workouts are for me. I love my Beachbody, and Shaun with his drive, and Tony with his cheese, but I look at the youtube ones and its just bleh. lmao!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    My opinion is to go for 25-30% of calories from protein but not more. Protein is a bad energy source, and your body can't do much with an overabundance of protein other than try to burn it. The rest should be from good carbs and fats. Don't be afraid to drop carbs and eat more high-quality fats (nuts, cheese, olive oil, etc.), particularly when you are trying to cut.

As for fitness routines, I have used a few from popsugar on YouTube. They have a wide variety.

Can you explain what you mean by the bolded?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have been using this app for a week and have been loving it. I have been reaching my goal of 10000 daily steps (if not more). Now I would like to add some strength training too. Can someone please help me with the following questions I have ....
    (I'm on the set fat 20 , protein 30 and carb 50 with 1200 daily cal)

I have hand weights...how can I incorporate these?
    I am really new to this aspect of working out, so any advice or guidance anyone could give me would be fantastic!!
    Cheers in advance ! :)

I second HASFIT, great beginners videos on their main website www.hasfit.com and it's all free.

0.8-1g protein per kg body weight is recommended by many health administrations. You've adjusted your percentages above the MFP basics so as long as you're hitting the amounts in your goals as a minimum you should be fine.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblenders YouTube Channel check them out