What to do if I slip up?

Options
If I slip up on my diet (like today, I just had some brownies), is it better to continue to eating my meals like normal or should I not eat for the rest of the day to make up the calories?

Replies

• SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would drink plenty of water and eat a light dinner.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't skip your meals, just make them healthier or eat a little less.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I try and tweak my planned meals for the rest of the day to make them a little lower in cals but not skip altogether. I also try and do a bit extra exercise to burn some more but again not so much that I injure/exhaust myself. I finfd I can make up 200-300 cals fairly easily with these 2 things so depends how far over you've gone.
    If this doesn't work just don't give in to the "Today is already bad I might as well eat as much as I like" voice in your head and get back on plan tomorrow. This last bit is the MOST important, one slip up will not ruin all your hard work.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    A co-worker brought me an unexpected cannoli today. I don't consider it a slip-up. I consider it a bonus ;) (although I will skip tonight's planned ice cream).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Go immediately back to your plan. Otherwise you create a cycle of hunger and bingeing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You still need to eat because you need the nutrition and energy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Log it and go on normally, as a generality. Especially true if its a rare thing.

If eating some special item makes you less hungry later, it's fine to eat a little lighter later in the day, as long you don't sacrifice important nutrition goals to do it.

Basically, don't sweat about it. Just don't make it a routine habit. You'll be fine.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Go immediately back to your plan. Otherwise you create a cycle of hunger and bingeing.

This.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I might tweak a meal later in the day. Reduce portions or switch to leaner meat. I might add a bit of walking if I can. But when the next day comes, I go right back to plan.