Tilapia ideas

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
would love to get ideas for tilapia , something diffrent from my usually that is low carbish, and that an 11 yearold (picky) will eat

Replies

• missionmanshane
    missionmanshane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but after tilapia fell apart on the grill, we tried a grill basket (like the kind for shrimp), and found it very tasty and easy to cook.

We used some seasoning mix. Just pick the kind you like best. Use a butter/citrus combination to lightly cover the fish so it doesn't dry out.

Butter or oil (or Pam) the basket lightly, then clamp it down around the tilapia.

Grill until flaky. It takes just a few quick minutes. Try to turn once or thrice. (Twice turned overcooks one side.) (and I like to type "thrice.") Stay at the grill! Tilapia is great, but is easy to turn into flaky charcoal.

This is complemented well by long grain brown rice pilaf, grilled veggies, or tropical fruit mixes. Try a fruit salsa (if your spice mix matches well.)

You can go southwest, too, if your spice blend leans that way. Corn and black beans over fresh greens with traditional salsa makes a great side for southwestern-style spiced tilapia.

Just some ideas we have tried. Have fun.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a Parmesan Crusted Tilapia that my two sons love, even my super picky 5 year old! It uses fiber one cereal crumbs instead of bread crumbs. Here is the recipe...

* 4-4oz Tilapia fillets
    * ½ cup (30g) Fiber One Cereal (or All Bran)
    * ¼ cup (20g) Parmesan Cheese
    * ½ tsp onion powder
    * ½ tsp garlic powder
    * 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    * Salt & Pepper
    * Non-stick cooking spray
    Preheat the broiler
    Place the cereal, parmesan cheese, and spices, in a blender or food processor to make the breading.
    Season the fish with salt & pepper. Dip the fillets in breading to coat. The fish is normally moist enough for the breading to stick without the use of egg. Of course, you could dip it if you like. ( I usually dip in egg white or some skim milk)
    Spray a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray, Place fillets on sheet and spray tops with non-stick cooking spray.
    Broil the fish 2 racks from the top for about 6-8 minutes.

Makes 4 servings
    Per Serving: 135 Calories, 3g fat, 2g fiber
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    with lemmon pepper seasoning and pop it in the oven...mouth watering and the lemon pepper seasoning i used was from the doller store nothing fancy
  • stillwater1978
    stillwater1978 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All of these recipes sound great - I may have to break out the tilapia tonight!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle it with chili powder and some salt and then saute it in some olive oil. As soon as it's cooked through, I squeeze some fresh lime over top. It's really yummy and very simple.
  • bootoou
    bootoou Posts: 22
    Options
    I made crock pot tilapia for a pot luck listen to this:

lay out tin foil, fill with 1 fillet, and lemon salt, pepper what ever seasoning you like. fold the foil and close it up....

put as many as you need layered on top of each other in their tin foil packages and turn cook for 3-5 hours depending on the temp you want to cook at... you can easily take one out and check for doneness...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Last time we had tilapia we made tacos. We used 2 oz filets marinated in lime and olive oil for 10 minutes then grilled. Placed into a 6' corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, chopped tomatoes and a white sauce made with Greek yogurt thinned with lime juice. A green salad and low sodium pinto beans on the side. They were fabulous!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I made crock pot tilapia for a pot luck listen to this:

lay out tin foil, fill with 1 fillet, and lemon salt, pepper what ever seasoning you like. fold the foil and close it up....

put as many as you need layered on top of each other in their tin foil packages and turn cook for 3-5 hours depending on the temp you want to cook at... you can easily take one out and check for doneness...

This is a GREAT idea!
  • tonka0597
    tonka0597 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've got Tilapia in the fridge right now. I usually just lemon pepper'em up! But these recipes sound great exspecially the one with the dog on cereal! I'm on it! Tonight!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I squirt it with a little lime juice, top it with a tablespoon of salsa, and bake it for about 10 minutes. When there's a few minutes left, sprinkle a little shredded Mexican blend or taco cheese on it and crumbled a tortilla chip or two on top. Yum.
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Drizzle with a little olive oil, season with garlic herb seasoning, sautee until done then top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Let the cheese melt and enjoy. That's my favorite way to enjoy tilapia or fresh salmon.
  • danacromwell1
    Options
    I brush on Ken's fat-free raspberry pecan salad dressing and bake (I use a foil covered bar pan) at 350 for about 18 minutes. Although some of it runs off the filet itself, I use about 1 tbsp per 4oz filet.
  • VelcroPooh
    VelcroPooh Posts: 152
    Options
    We used to love to eat at Red Robin (notice I said used to...) and loved the seasoning they put on their fries. We found out we could purchase it for $4.00. It's a huge bottle and lasts for months. It's became my favorite tilapia companion. If you are watching salt in your diet, I wouldn't do this, as the seasoning is quite high in salt.

350 degrees. I place 2 tablespoons "I can't believe it's not butter" in the bottom of a baking dish and stick it in the oven while it's preheating. When it's melted, I add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice, sprinkle a little garlic powder and some dried, minced onions. Lay out the fillets in the pan and sprinkle with the red robin seasoning. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until done. (depending on the thickness of your tilapia).
  • angieaanderson
    Options
    LOVEEEE tilapia. The simpler, the better :)

I sprinkle a little garlic salt on top, drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil; bake for about 20 minutes, then broil it to brown the top a little bit (best part of it all :)

Then I make a little salsa out of chopped tomatoes and green mango OR some pico and eat it over hot brown rice (jasmine rice is preferred but dang those calories!). YUM.
  • smeliana
    smeliana Posts: 5
    Options
    We just cut up some lemon, place the each piece of fish on 2-3 slices, light seasoning, and bake for about 10 minutes. I like everyone's ideas though.
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am going to save this for later! I have never cooked fish - abit afraid.
    What temp. do you usually bake it for?
    Thank-you
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It's great with a "picatta" style sauce, too. Pan-fry in a bit of butter, add a bunch of capers and lemon juice. Delish!