Healthy weight loss?

Options
I'm excited, but a little concerned after my first week of calorie counting.

I weighed in last Tuesday at an even 250 lbs. This morning when I woke up and ran to the scale, I am weighing in at 235.8 lbs. I was shooting for two pounds per week but this seems kind of excessive. I guess I should be happy, but with out a doubt I don't want to loose muscle mass. Is this kind of weight loss safe the first week?

I'm certainly not starving myself, and rarely find myself hungry. It's quite the opposite, I feel like I'm doing nothing but eat all day long.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Cresco299
    Options
    I'm excited, but a little concerned after my first week of calorie counting.

I weighed in last Tuesday at an even 250 lbs. This morning when I woke up and ran to the scale, I am weighing in at 235.8 lbs. I was shooting for two pounds per week but this seems kind of excessive. I guess I should be happy, but with out a doubt I don't want to loose muscle mass. Is this kind of weight loss safe the first week?

I'm certainly not starving myself, and rarely find myself hungry. It's quite the opposite, I feel like I'm doing nothing but eat all day long.

Any thoughts?
  • babyhippo
    Options
    My first week I lost almost 10 lbs. I went from 168 to about 158. I had the same concern. And like you, I wasn't starving myself. After that first week. things slowed down to 0 to 1 to 2 pounds a week.
    Before I started I was way over-eating and drinking little water. I think my first week was pretty much my body getting cleaned out.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I am not an expert but this does not sound right to me. I know men lose more than women when they start dieting but that seems like a lot in just one week. Do you have a lot of weight to lose? From what I've heard, people who need to lose a lot of weight do lose more than 2 pounds a week when they start dieting and exercising but from 250 to 235 in a week seems excessive. What type of scale do you have? Has it been calibrated? Also, did you meet your caloric intake or did you eat less than recommended. Anyhow, congratulations on your decision to eating healthier and getting to your weight goal. Keep up your motivation!!! Good luck!!!!
  • Cresco299
    Options
    alf1163:

I do have quite a bit to lose,. My BMI #'s say I'm "obese" (32-36 depending on what calculator you use). A little insulting but I guess the #'s don't lie :noway: .

I'm reaching for a total loss of about 50lbs. I have monitored my intake very closely, but if you add up everything I've eaten over the course of the week, I actually believe I came in around 100 calories over what i should have taken in.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    If you are eating right and are working out, i certainly would not worry about it. Congrats on all the weight loss!
    Btw.....Beautiful baby, love all the hair!
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Yesterday was day 7 for me and I have lost 7 lbs. I think it's just your body's way of adjusting to eating less.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    It's not unusual for me to drop between 6 and 9 pounds the first week of any diet plan I've started. It didn't matter if I had 30 or 50 pounds to lose, or what my age was. Congratulations.
  • greenbean
    greenbean Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight the first couple of weeks is pretty normal. Because you are eating healthier and proably taking in less carbs, sodium and haveing better BM's. A lot of the weight is water, you should see a more steady and smaller weight loss in the weeks to come.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I lose 10 pounds my first week then it tapered off. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you continue this for a few weeks. That first week is usually water weight and I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations!!! Like others have stated it does tend to come off a bit faster in the beginning due to the change in diet, I've been enjoying this for the past few weeks, but it's definitely slowing down to more normal weekly weight loss! Best of luck to you!
  • Cresco299
    Options
    Cool, then I'll just sit back and enjoy the rapid decline while it lasts! :drinker:

Thanks for all the input.