So is salt REALLY bad for you?

Options

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I know that when I eat more sodium then 2000mg, I feel bloated and the scale make me cry.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sodium drives me nuts. I dont have anywhere near what MFP says I should, but my body tells me clearly when I have had too much. SO it's all a bit confusing to me.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    yea, I think it is surely important to listen to your body. But I know people that don't use it at ALL because they are afraid of it.

I am all about the common sense approach
  • chrisc31
    chrisc31 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    There is a reason I don't have the sodium count visible on my diary for my friends to see....I'm sure that my constant overage would astound some of them! The only time I've noticed anything about it was when I had over 6,000 mg of sodium one day and not enough water....I had a 5 pound gain overnight! I have at least stopped adding salt to a lot of the foods I used to add it to. I can only imagine how much I was consuming before!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I tend not to worry about salt too much. I don't have a problem with retaining water, and my BP is pretty darned low (averages about 90/60).
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    yea, I think it is surely important to listen to your body. But I know people that don't use it at ALL because they are afraid of it.

I am all about the common sense approach

This is key. I had no idea why my feet were swelling up until I started tracking my food. My coworkers give me weird looks when I talk about my food choices, but I remind them that everyone is different. If your body doesn't have a bad reaction to salt and preservatives, I'm not going to tell you not to eat them. I, however, need to watch my intake, because I like to wear shoes, and walk on feet, rather than marshmallows.
  • koahope
    koahope Posts: 15
    Options
    Years of dieting (yo-yo) and watching my sodium intake taught me yes...but now I have low blood pressure and my doc says I have to put salt on everything and when I get woozy to have salty snack...now does THAT mess with your head after years of watching it!!! I think as in everything else, moderation is the key...after all our bodies are made up of a measure of salt anyway. If you take it 'all' away you may be 'starving' your body of that one nutrient. Moderation!
  • lapamperedchef
    Options